Glue for Hook Hone Attachment

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
mountainad82

Glue for Hook Hone Attachment

Post by mountainad82 »

I recently acquired a Queen fisherman's knife that looks unused. The only problem is the hook sharpening stone in the Delrin handle has come loose. Which type of glue do you guys use to reattach the stone in a fisherman's pattern knife?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Glue for Hook Hone Attachment

Post by orvet »

2 part epoxy. The best is sold under several names but I think you can find it on eBay as Bob Smith's epoxy. I use the 5 minute epoxy as it is more impact resistant.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Thank you very much Dale!

Adam
just bob

Post by just bob »

I bought another brand name of 5 minute epoxy and am not happy with it. I'll try this but have a question. Where does the name 5 minute epoxy come from? According to the instructions it is safe to handle in 15 minutes and sets up hard in an hour. The only thing I can guess is it takes you 5 minutes to open the bottles and mix it?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This eBay supplier carries all three types: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Smith-Indus ... ncyrAzM3TQ

I use the 5-Minute Quick-Cure epoxy for most of my handle and pin gluing. I remember one time I made a mistake and had to remove the wood from the handle of a large knife I was working on. The wood was so well stuck to the handle that I actually had to grind the handle off on a belt sander down to the metal so I could make a new handle.
This really is the best epoxy I found in the reason I use a 5-minute is that it does have a little more impact resistance then the 15 & 30 minute varieties.

If you would like a good read on adhesives check out this topic on knife network:
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/showt ... light=glue
Most of the testing was done several years ago but that's where I first ran across Bob Smith's 5-Minute Quick-Cure epoxy, though it was under another name at that time he still had the same type of bottle and label and it was still excellent!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
just bob

Post by just bob »

Dale on the TV show Forged In Fire, where they only have 2 hrs. to put a handle on a knife what kind of epoxy do they use? According to the directions this takes an hour to be solid.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I work in Marine Fabrication so epoxies are my bread, and butter.

The 5Min. rating is simply the working time under average conditions. 70% or less humidity, 70*f temperature.
Beyond that time /conditions the Amine Oils are leaching to the surface, and adhesion is reduced. You need to apply the epoxy BEFORE the Amine rises.

Amine is an oil that coats all epoxy surfaces and prevents oxidation due to the exothermic reaction happening in the epoxies.
That oil acts like a coating that keeps air out during the curing process.

That is also why epoxy will not adhere to set epoxy unless the oil is removed with TSP (trisodium phosphate) or completely grinding/sanding off the first few microns of the surface.

Hope it helps ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”