Fighting Rooster gassed out

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Landersknives

Fighting Rooster gassed out

Post by Landersknives »

Well fellas ... no offense to any ladies on the forum. I have had some knives that gassed out....sooo I decided to try my hand at re handling a fighting rooster. This is my first try and I did not take step by step photos and I thought I took some before pictures but I can't find them. I do have pictures of the handles I took off and some of the other knives I will be doing. Please be brutally honest. I have a great deal of respect for the knife mechanics on this forum. Thanks for all input. This knife was rusty. Here goes:
Attachments
IMG_0454.JPG
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fighting Rooster gassed out

Post by glennbad »

From what I can see from the pics, looks pretty darn nice. A shield would look nice, but perhaps you didn't want one.

Really not anything to critique, though I like to see more jigging toward the bolsters, but that's just my personal preference.

Excellent save!
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thank you glennbad coming from you that is a compliment. The shield hmmm well I was intimidated and once I got started today I wanted to get finished. Are installing shields pretty difficult sir? Maybe on the next one I do I might try installing a shield. What do you use to pin the shield on? Is there a certain epoxy to use for shields?
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It looks really good to me! ::tu::
My personal preference is that I love to see the smooth bone between the jigging and the bolster, especially if is pretty. But like Glenn said that strictly personal preference. My favorite part about doing a build or a restoration is watching the bone with the stag develop as I sanded and buffed it down on the ends. Sometimes they look really average, sometimes they look good and other times they are blow your eyeballs out gorgeous! ::ds::
I love the blow your eyeballs out gorgeous bone and stag handles. Watching them develop beneath your fingers is the magical part of knife restoration. ::nod::

I’ll admit shields can be intimidating but they are even more intimidating when it’s an old knife that belongs to your customer and you don’t have other old replacement handles. You have one shot to put a shield in and if you mess up it is in a reparable mistake. Once you get past that hurdle most shields are a piece of cake!

I greatly prefer the slow and powerful Foredom rotary tool to the Dremel when it comes to inlaying a shield, but to each his own.
I think it all depends on what you get accustomed to.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thank you Dale. I agree with you about the bone. It is amazing the transformation as I was sanding and then polishing. You sir are a artisan and a craftsman for sure and I greatly value you opinion. I will have to check on picking up a Foredom. I have never used one and right now I have the variable speed Dremel. I will be honest the bone turned out beautiful. I am not a photographer so the pictures don't do it justice but as I was working with it I was like a giddy kid on Christmas morning opening presents. The comments from Glenn and you sir give me a sense of accomplishment and pride. I am hooked and anticipating my next project.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Wow Ed, if this is your first time, I'd say you did very well. I don't work on knives myself, but it must bring you loads of satisfaction to bring new life to an old, messed up knife. That, my friend, looks really good. ::nod:: I'd say congratulations are definitely in order here. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very nice job!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks good to me. Congratulations on taking that first step in doing some knife scale repair.

I think the edge near the bolster looks just about right.

Bob
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks Mike, Wayne and Bob. Yes I was excited at how it turned out. I will be posting more knives as I get them done. I appreciate the comments. I am hooked for sure. I was paralyzed in 2002 from the waist down. I graduated from a wheel chair to a walker and now a cane. Restoring this knife really gave me a sense of accomplishment and a satisfaction knowing I am still capable of well ...... something. Just looking at it makes me smile. I collected knives but that pails in comparison to taking something that was pretty much worthless and restoring it to a edc. Which that is what this is. It has taken its place in my rotation of edc. Carrying it right now. Thanks again everyone.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

looks like a dandy job especially if thats your fisrt ::tu::
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
sam eib

Post by sam eib »

I think you did a fine job all the way around on the knife.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks Sam and Muskrat Man. I have enjoyed looking at your work Muskrat Man. It has inspired me just like Dales and Glennbads. You gentlemen are the cats meow! ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”