Schrade Walden 906

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade Walden 906

Post by btrwtr »

Some time ago KJ posted a picture of an unusual Schrade Walden 906 camp knife that he had. I in turn post a similar but broken 906 model knife that I have in my bin of parts and junk knives. Orvet (Dale) was kind enough to let me know that he had a 906 blade and PM'd me asking if I would be interested in having it to use as a repair blade for the beaten up 906 that I have. Dale sent me the blade back at the end of May of this year and I finally got around to repairing the knife. The only thing that Dale asked was that I take and post some pictures of the knife when I got around to fixing it.

I have had this knife for so long I don't know where or exactly when I acquired it. I imagine it was in a larger lot that I purchased many years ago.

Being a multi-blade and having blades in both ends top and bottom was a bit of a problem. It was a little difficult to set the blades and get the two small spacers in the proper positions. I first installed the blades and spacers with a narrow diameter pin and then a larger nail that was still narrower than the needed repair pivot pin. Since the handles had shrunk the aligning was a challenge. The next issue was that I did not have the birds eye type rivets needed to set in the handles before installing a larger and appropriate size pivot pin. I ended up making the two washer type pieces from two old stainless steel cutlers rivets I found in my shop. These were the solid ends of the rivets. I first used a punch to mark the approximate center of the pins and then drilled a 1/16" into the top of each rivet and then cut the tops off with band saw. Then I chucked rivet heads in my Foredom rotary tool and turned them against some 150 grit paper until they were the correct diameter to use.

Once I had the rivets I clipped off the nail head and then placed them over the nail. I then moved the birds eye washer into the holes in the knife handles. Since I did not want to go through the process of removing the nail and then attempting to install the larger pin I turned the end of the new 1/16" nickel silver pin down to a tapered point and ground the tip flat. Then I used the new pin to drive the narrower nail out. After that it was a routine job of peening and setting the pin in the washers I had made. The liners were protruding past the handle material since the handles had shrunk. Once the blade was installed I trimmed the liners back to make the knife more presentable.

Since the blade that Dale sent me was roughly ground I put a finer glazed finish in the pile side of the blade and ground and polished the front side to a mirror finish. Lastly I cleaned up the knife and re-profiled the damaged small clip blade. Not a new knife by any means but at least a usable, working knife now.

The blade fit the knife nicely and needed no adjustment to function properly. Thanks Dale for being so kind as to send me the blade!
Attachments
Knife before repair
Knife before repair
before repair
before repair
Blade Dale sent me with my knife
Blade Dale sent me with my knife
blades and spacers removed
blades and spacers removed
damaged small clip blade
damaged small clip blade
blades removed
blades removed
narrow diameter pin attempting to align blades
narrow diameter pin attempting to align blades
repaired and all blades snapping
repaired and all blades snapping
looking better thanks to Dale!
looking better thanks to Dale!
One of the rivets used to make the birds eye washers
One of the rivets used to make the birds eye washers
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Schrade Walden 906

Post by zed6309 »

That looks amazing Wayne,you have skills mate ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great work Wayne!
You put that old blade to good use.
Nicely done! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Wow Wayne! Thats an awesome repair! Better than new. ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

orvet wrote:Great work Wayne!
You put that old blade to good use.
Nicely done! ::tu::

You don't have another one of those 906 blades handy, do you??? Nice work Dale!

Wayne, excellent craftsmanship (as I would expect)!
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Great result for an otherwise scrap knife. Thanks for 'talking' us through the process ... very informative. ::tu::
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”