A couple of new (to me ) tools for the shop

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
#goldpan

A couple of new (to me ) tools for the shop

Post by #goldpan »

I have been working on some small knives recently and found my self in need of ballpien hammer that had a smaller ball but not too light. I found a dandy along with a hand vice being sold together as vintage watch makers tools on eBay. ::tu::
IMGP0055.JPG
IMGP0056.JPG
IMGP0059.JPG
The hand vise looks like its from the 50's and its made in Japan. Its a good addition to the bench. It helps me hold things being being ground or sanded. At the same time it keeps me from burning my fingers and helps with keeping the hand cramps to a minimum. ::nod::
IMGP0057.JPG
IMGP0058.JPG
The hammer has a smaller striking surface on both ends and the weight is still pretty good. Notice the knurled brass handle. I knew it had a screw driver hidden inside. What was a surprise was the number of screwdrivers hidden in the handle! I was so pleasantly surprised I think I laughed out loud at the discovery!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A couple of new (to me ) tools for the shop

Post by jerryd6818 »

My maternal grandfather had one of those hammers when I was a kid. One of those things I would have liked to have had but have no idea what happened to it (he had a stroke). I loved taking all the screwdrivers out of it. This is the first I've seen in over 60 years. Cool. He also had a cobbler's last that I thought was neat.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

My step father in law had the screwdriver but not the hammer portion of one of those tools. He loaned it to my youngest daughter for a school project a few years ago. It was made of brass and was a really well made tool as I recall.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Awesome. I love the hand vice. I don't think they carry these at the big box stores. Nice find!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Those look very handy! My first ball peen for knife work was one that I bought through those travelling Cummings Tool shows. 4oz., ideal weight. That was before I scored a few nice cutler hammers.

The vice is cool!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks fellas! I love these tools, they perfect for my needs. Wow Jerry I have never seen a hammer like this and your Grand Father had one, that's cool!
Glenn I have been using a 4 oz hammer for a long time and it does most of the work. But for smaller pins and such a smaller pien is perfect for me. Most of the cutler's hammers I have seen are large, about 2 pounds and are used for forging. What size is your hammer? The hand vise is working out better than I thought! Wished I would have found one years ago. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

It fascinated me. I loved playing with it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very cool. My dad has one of those hammers with the screwdrivers innit.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Randy,

Here is my inventory of cutler hammers. I will use these at various times, for specific tasks, or if it just feels right to use a certain one.
cutler hammers.jpg
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Nice selection of hammers Glen! I see what you mean, a set that should meet most needs! I really like the cross peen hammers.Need to get to get a couple of those! ::nod::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Last summer I picked up one of those hand vises for $1 at a yard sale. It comes in handy.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

#goldpan wrote:I really like the cross peen hammers.Need to get to get a couple of those! ::nod::
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

This place never ceases to amaze me! After stating my wish and seeing Jerry's response I find this sitting in my mail box this morning!
IMGP0135.JPG
Thanks Jerry ::ds:: This made my day Bro. I woke this morning with neck and shoulder issues and was in a bit of a grumpy mood. I had surgery on my neck some time back and may need more. Sometimes I just over do things ::shrug:: ::nod:: . Your gift has made a difference in my day Jerry! You rock brother! ::tu:: ::handshake::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

::tu:: Jerry!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”