First TL-29/206 Mod

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
ea42

First TL-29/206 Mod

Post by ea42 »

Hey folks!! Been taking note of all the fine TL-29 modifications you all have been doing so I figured I'd knock one apart and give it a shot. Never did one of these before and I have to say that it turns out to be a mighty fine jack! Now I see what all the hub bub is about! I used one of the S.C.C. 206 versions, most likely a Camillus made knife. Interesting how they used a melted plastic "pins" to hold the covers to the scales, I always assumed they were glued.
I had some amber stag bone laying around I figured I'd use that for the new handles. Has a bit of a greenish tint in the valleys as you can see in the mark side close-up where I'm holding it. May try to buff it out but I think it'll disappear with pocket wear, probably been sitting around for at least a decade, so it might be a bit of verdigris or similar. Got some funky tree reflections in the bolsters, that's not dirt lol!
Here are a few shots, one of the "before" and the rest the finished knife:

Eric
Schrade TL-29 Modification 6.jpg
Schrade TL-29 Modification 2.jpg
Schrade TL-29 Modification 3.jpg
Schrade TL-29 Modification 4.jpg
Schrade TL-29 Modification 5.jpg
Schrade TL-29 Modification.jpg
P.S. ---Just took a good look at that close-up and darned if I didn't wind up with what looks like a cover pin crack! Never noticed it until I saw that pic. Well it's going in the pocket anyway so no big deal. Gonna have to take it a little easier whacking that pin, you tend to assume that this stuff is as tough as stag since it looks like it. Doh! ::dang:: :D :D
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: First TL-29/206 Mod

Post by treefarmer »

::woot:: That's eye catcher! Might nice. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice clean lines on that knife Eric, it’s definitely not your first rodeo even though it may be your first TL-29! :lol: ::tu:: ::tu::
I have come to the conclusion that cameras are the enemy of anyone who works on knives! Either that or I need stronger glasses.

I can’t count the number of times that I find pin cracks when I look at the pictures. I’ve gotten to the point now that I take pictures and enlarge them to look for cracks and hidden flaws. The camera is a great tool but it also causes me extra work!

The melted plastic pins that hold the original handles on was called the “post method” of handle attachment, at least at Camillus. I think that was the newest method they used. Incidentally I have never seen a handle attached with the post method ever come off under normal use. They are well attached, even when a person is intentionally trying to remove the handles.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Nice work Eric! ::tu:: I had to look real hard to see the pin crack, then I enlarged the pic. You good work pilgrim!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks guys!!!

Dale isn't it something? It all depends on the lighting too, it's still hard for me to see just looking at it, even though I know it's there. Too many nooks and crannies!

Those handles were definitely on there. Tried drilling them out first, used a small drill since I thought they were standard small pin holes. Wound up increasing the size three times, them just gave up, got a sharp knife and cut the plastic out like I was coring an apple. That's a big hole in there! I drilled a new hole for the cover pins since I'd have probably needed a .125 pin to fill the original hole! :D :D

Eric
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Purty snazzy . ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very knice!!!! ::nod:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ya done good kid. I had a heck of a time finding that crack even though you told us exactly where it is. Good choice for the new covers.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Eric! That is stunning!! I'd be proud to throw that in my pocket. Always easier to "first time" a particular knife mod when you have a "couple" knive's practice under your belt already. :mrgreen:

You certainly make it look effortless. As for the plastic covers on those, I usually just tweak the liner/scale a bit and get a small flat blade screwdriver in there. The covers will just pop off if you give the screwdriver blade a little twist.

Just beautiful!

Glenn
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Very nice Eric. Almost no gaps between the boltser and the handle material. That's one of my pet peeves. And the other end looks really rounded and smooth, no "corners" on that part. If this is your first time, I'd say you are well on your way. Well done Sir. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments. Mike, it's my first time doing a TL-29, but definitely not the first time I've worked on a knife. Probably have a few thousand under my belt :D
Finally got a little shop up and running at the house this past few months so I'm getting the feel of everything with some practice knives.

Eric
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Great job Eric! Knife is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Don't forget, I am a buyer also...LOL

Tom
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Came up a treat Eric... that stag really looks great. ::tu::

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Oh ya NICE JOB ::groove::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Tom, feel free to shoot me an email any time if you have something you're looking for. ::tu::

I appreciate the compliments, definitely won't be the last, might try some kind of micarta next time, stay tuned.

Eric
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Eric that's a beautiful transformation. Love the new handles and the sleek new look. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Nicely done mod
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Very nice!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”