8OT Swinden Key mod and re-handle

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
#goldpan

Re: 8OT Swinden Key mod and re-handle

Post by #goldpan »

Dan glad your enjoying this thread! Eric you are dead on with that adjustment. This knife had bent pin so I am not sure that that would do it. I had the pins under a microscope to see how these are put together. I have never seen a Swiden machine at work so there is a lot of contemplation going on how I can repair the Swinden Key itself. I have some ideas though. When I get the time I am going to experiment with some ideas. I love the system! Its a very good way to assemble pocket knife. I think I can build a new key, but its going to be trial and error. I hope the trial goes well without too many errors! I also have ideas on how to tighten up a Swinden key. Well when I find the time. I'm keeping notes on my ideas as it may be a while before I find the time.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Eric,
I really appreciate your input in this topic! I have been trying to fix loose Swinden knives for years. I have succeeded in tightening the rivets, only to get them too tight to fit back together. I suppose if the guy had the correct measurements for the distance between the inside of the rivet heads, it would be possible to construct a jig to adjust them back to the correct distance. However, that doesn’t address the problem of why they got loose in the first place…

ea42 wrote: Randy, it's too late now but sometimes giving the end of the center scale a little tap toward the main blade ever so slightly will tighten it up. There are times, especially when knives are worked on like that one, where the scales get bent.

Eric
In the quote above you referred to the “center scale,” did you mean the center liner? Or did you mean hit the end of the scale in the center?
I have lots of loose Swinden knives to practice on!

Thanks for your input! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Dale I believe he is referring to the center liner. This adjustment will add some tension to the assembly and take some of the play out. Anyway I am at he point where I am in the middle of prepping the Elk antler.
20170508_131236.jpg
Here are the pieces that cut for the scales.
20170508_164624.jpg
As you can see they need some "adjustment!
20170509_112249.jpg
This how they came out after the first pressing. Not bad. I am going to soak and press them again. Then they will be ready. They will sit in the press over night as they dry so that they will stay fairly flat, then I can start to plane and shape them.
20170509_112658.jpg
In the mean time I am cleaning up all of the various parts. Using a 3M pad to get the junk off. Then prep them for accepting their new handles.

Stay tuned!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Clean up is going well!
20170509_133712.jpg
While I was cleaning I found a wear on the tang of the master blade. It's not bad and will clean up nicely! Looks we took her apart at the right time.
20170509_125820.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

#goldpan wrote:Dan glad your enjoying this thread! Eric you are dead on with that adjustment. This knife had bent pin so I am not sure that that would do it. I had the pins under a microscope to see how these are put together. I have never seen a Swiden machine at work so there is a lot of contemplation going on how I can repair the Swinden Key itself. I have some ideas though. When I get the time I am going to experiment with some ideas. I love the system! Its a very good way to assemble pocket knife. I think I can build a new key, but its going to be trial and error. I hope the trial goes well without too many errors! I also have ideas on how to tighten up a Swinden key. Well when I find the time. I'm keeping notes on my ideas as it may be a while before I find the time.
Randy, there was a headed pin that the blade, or blades and center scale went over. Then this assembly was placed into a fuxture and the opposite head was formed in a press to the exact length necessary for the particular knife. This would be very difficult to mimic in a home shop. You'd likely be better off adjusting the keyhole to make the assembly tighter. Looking good!

Dale, yes I was referring to the end of the center liner. We called the liners "scales" in the shop, as most of the cutlery shops do.The terms were interchangeable as they referred to the same item. I don't know when folks started calling the pocket knife covers scales but it's technically not right, they're only scales when they come into contact with the blade tang, as in a fixed blade full tang knife or a linerless pocketknife.

Eric
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Yep Eric I know that it would be hard to do. I'm stubborn though ::shrug:: I used to work in the family iron shop. Miller Iron Works in New Castle Ca. Managed the shop and built my equipment as it was needed. I do have different ideas about how I would build the keys. Its all about a quest for me. I have began working it out on paper. It wont be easy and I understand about possible failure. But the bug has bit :roll: As with other stuff I do here I'll post and share what I find. Maybe others can add to the concepts and make them work even if I don't succeed. I also have a friend who is a retired mechanical engineer. I plan on asking him lots of questions! But that's down the road, I have very little time to play with my ideas at the moment.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Well I have to admit that I played hooky from the shop today ::super_happy:: My brother and I hiked about five miles down to the lake to fly his kite ::nod:: Felt like a kid again ::tu::
IMG_20170510_112352680.jpg
I did some work on the Elk tonight though. Started thinning it down. Its going well too!
20170510_184446[1].jpg
I have some errands to run tomorrow but should have the handles fitted and perhaps shaped. I even have another set of Elk scales in the press for another project. Or back up in case something goes wrong. If nothing gets in the way I should wrap this up by Friday night. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned!
Shorthairbirddog

Post by Shorthairbirddog »

I should have played hooky from work today. Would have much rather been chasing turkeys then running around a rail yard all day. Thinking that I will play hooky from home tomorrow afternoon and make up for not chasing them today.

That elk is gonna look good on there.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Funny you mention chasing turkeys. I took this picture behind the shop a minute ago.
IMG_20170510_181108177.jpg
Right after I put the camera away Boomer chased this guy and tried to take him down! Boomer is my 7 pound feral cat. Wished I could of taken a pic when he tried to take on this turkey. A moment after that he tried take down a jake.... ::facepalm::
IMG_20170113_135824933.jpg
Boomer stalking a squirrel. He almost caught one a week ago, got a mouthful of tail fur!
Shorthairbirddog

Now I have to go tomorrow...can't let a cat win.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Shorthairbirddog wrote:Now I have to go tomorrow...can't let a cat win.
::tu:: Good luck with the turkeys! Pictures please!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I have two sets of Elk slabs ready. My issue is, which set do you prefer Jim. A or B. They are both nice!

This one is A:
20170511_131630[1].jpg
This one is B:
20170511_131639[1].jpg
If you can't decide I'll pick a pair and run with it! After I hear back from you I'll shape and pin them on. Final fit and finish is the part that takes the most time for me. I'll post pics of this process for you as I think its best part of the work. Seeing the final appearance slowly come to light is a very rewarding part of the process. Its true character never quite comes out until I am just about finished. I should have your knife in the mail on Monday ::nod::
Shorthairbirddog

They are both nice, but I think A is the one I prefer.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

You got it Jim! Now the fun starts! ::nod::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Shaping is going well. Here are a few pics of the progression.
20170511_150711.jpg
I rough cut them on the band saw.

20170511_151739.jpg
Then I filed them until they were close to the original covers.

20170511_152746.jpg
Took some work but here you can see that I filed them down to where they almost the same dimensions as the stag.

20170511_160908.jpg
And their current shape. Next is to take them down to size to fit snugly between the bolsters. Then I will I will match them to the liners and pin them in place. Its getting closer! ::nod::
Shorthairbirddog

Looking good.

Sorry to say, no turkey pictures. Couldn't bring one close enough last night. One more try tomorrow morning.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Jim! Good luck with the turkeys tonight. ::tu::
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Oh and here is what everything looks like at the moment. News covers slipped between the bolsters. Looks nice. ::nod:: At this point I would normally grind the Elk to a perfect fit against the liners. Because of the file work I am going to have to do the final fit by hand. Almost there.Soon I'll pin the covers on and shape and sand.
20170512_115713.jpg
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Randy - I really like how you had the contour of the frame follow the contour of the handles.....she's going to be a keepsake for sure.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Tom.I looked at the Elk for a while trying to find the best way to match the lines in the antler to the shape of the frame. It helps that I cut my own slabs. Both of the cover scales are from opposite sides of the same piece of Elk so that each cover mirrors the other.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Looking great , you are definitely gifted ::tu::
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Really looking great, Randy! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks fellas! I have one scale ready to drill and pin so I thought I would show what it looks like. Jim you made a good choice my friend! ::nod::
20170513_111832.jpg
I had to remove the the other cover and start over because the cover slid a little when I was gluing it in place. No problem though. After the glue cures I'll have this scale matching the other in no time! Man she is starting to look nice! I'm going to have to put some Elk back for myself! ::tu::
Shorthairbirddog

That is great, exactly what I was looking for.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

I have the other scale clamped and glued so I thought I show the set up for insuring that everything stays flat while it dries.

Here is the set up.
20170513_114843.jpg
20170513_114857.jpg
Here is the set up for drilling the holes through the scales.
20170513_121745.jpg
20170513_121701.jpg
20170513_121725.jpg
Placing the handle pins and peening in place.
20170513_125047.jpg
20170513_125955.jpg
As soon as the glue cures on the other scale I'll get it looking like the first. After that its time to drill the holes for the rocker pins and do the conversion to regular bolster pins. Jim I would have gotten further along if I was using preformed Elk slabs. Cutting and shaping from a full antler is time intensive. And of course my glue flub with cover on the other side didn't help ::facepalm:: . I'm still on schedule to get your knife in the mail by Monday. Glad you like how its starting to look Jim. After it goes back together and gets the fluff and buff spa treatment you wont believe the difference!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”