Camillus Pocket Knife Pin Replacement

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
lukio5141

Camillus Pocket Knife Pin Replacement

Post by lukio5141 »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have just started to collect pocket knives, mainly military issue.

I recently had the good fortune to be given a Camillus military folding blade pocket knife.

It's in great shape for it's age, 1972, but the pin at the blade end has broken inside, leading to the blade being loose when opened out.

From my understanding, and after a little research, it would seem this is a fairly straightforward fix.

Only trouble is, I never had to fix a knife before and don't want to ruin this one!!

Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to do this?

Regards

Luke
ea42

Re: Camillus Pocket Knife Pin Replacement

Post by ea42 »

Luke, have you got a picture of the problem spot? Seems a bit unusual for the bolster pin to be broken (at least that's the one I think you're talking about).

Eric
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

AAPK Welcome Ready.jpg
AAPK Welcome Ready.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

You might be able to get away with just replacing the bolster pin, but I'm guessing you'll have to split it in half at the liners and replace all three pins. I say that only because that bolster pin is going to be a pain to remove without taking the whole thing apart. With all of the Camillus TL-29's I've customized, it's always been that front bolster pin that has given me trouble.

Pictures would definitely help.

Mike
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

This is likely a stainless handled utility (camp style) knife with can opener, punch, screwdriver, etc. and no bolsters as others are assuming but I could be wrong. This is a straightforward repair either way but if you have reservations about tackling it yourself it is not an expensive repair to have made by a professional.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Hello Luke:

If you want this fixed but don't want to accidentally ruin the knife or make it worse, I recommend you contact one of the knife mechanics on this site. You can practice your skills on an old beat up knife some other time.

If you don't know who the mechanics are, simply post here that you need some names and we'll give you some. That should get you up and running. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
lukio5141

Post by lukio5141 »

Hi Mike and All,

Thanks for the replies so far, they have been helpful.

I have, hopefully, attached a photo of the knife for clarification. The broken pin is the blade end, which is the pin on the far right looking at the photo. Hope this helps!

It would be helpful to have some names of 'mechanics' as I don't want to ruin this knife. It has become quite well traveled: I live in the UK, the knife was made in the USA and I was given it by a guy in Australia!

Any help in getting this knife back to a useful state would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Luke

DSC_1825.JPG
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Nice looking knife !

Forget everything I said, I was thinking about a different pattern. Take Muskrat Mans advice, he had it right !
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”