Custom Schrade 80t?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Shorthairbirddog

Custom Schrade 80t?

Post by Shorthairbirddog »

This was kind of an impulse buy for me off the big auction site. All I thought about when I bought it was, that sure is a pretty knife. Got it in hand and noticed the main blade has a bit of side to side play in it, and it's a bit wide to sit comfortably in the pocket. So now, I'm trying to find information on fixing it, or finding someone that already has the knowledge and skill to fix it.

Thanks,
Jim
IMG_20170426_190902.jpg
IMG_20170426_190921.jpg
IMG_20170426_190930.jpg
montemojo

Re: Custom Schrade 80t?

Post by montemojo »

I conversed with the seller. I asked him if it were a Herman Williams custom but he didn't know. I also asked if it were signed inside on the liner. The seller stated there were no marks on the inside. It kinda looks like one of his to me. If it is one that Herman did I would try to get him to fix it. I am sure there is someone here that would know. If not one of his works I am sure a knife mechanic here would be glad to help you.

Thanks for posting
Monte
Shorthairbirddog

Herman Williams name did come up when I tried searching file worked knives. It'd be kind of crazy to stumble onto a knife he made for a first purchase back into traditional knives. I went and looked, and I cant see any type of mark on the liners, but I did just notice that the middle liner has file work on the inside of the knife. Thanks montemojo

Jim
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Birddog, if you would do a search using the word slenderino then go to the thread titled slenderino. On page 2 I believe its the 12th post down there is a knife Herman did for Henry Baer's birthday I think your knife and that knife look very similar check this out if you would please and tell me what you think.

Monte
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

You could get in touch with Mr Williams. His ebay seller name is electra 225. Thats how I reached him.

Monte
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

The biggest differce I can see is the hafting of the scales. Yours being thicker than the one I mentioned.

Monte
Shorthairbirddog

Yeah, scales on that one much thinner. Looking at those pictures, the file work on it looks cleaner to me, that is a beautiful knife.

Jim
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

There are two things about a knife that are deal breakers for me: Weak Snap & Side-to-Side. Either one of those just irritate me. But like Monte was saying, one of the knife mechanics here might be able to help you with that. That's a beautiful knife by the way. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It is not a Herman Williams knife. I did not ask him, specifically, but I have seen (and handled) enough of his work to know. If that particular example has Swinden key construction it is harder to work on than traditional through pins at the bolsters.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thank you Cal, I knew someone here would set me straight. I have not seen enough of his work to know. ::handshake::
Monte
Shorthairbirddog

Thanks Cal, I'm actually glad to hear that it wasn't done by Mr. Williams.

If I can find someone willing to work on it, my plan is for pins and slimmer slabs.

Jim
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Birddog,
Herman isn't working on any knives right now. A member of his family has some health concerns that are occupying his time. I would suggest you contact one of the other customizers who's work we frequently see here on AAPK such as orvet, glennbad, or muskrat man.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Monte,
Here is a recent example of Herman filework. It was done about a month before he turned 80 this year.
1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER-r (2).jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Dweb, that is beautiful. Thanks for posting.

Monte
Shorthairbirddog

Thanks Dweb, I will try and get in touch with one of them. That is a beautiful knife.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Personally, I find Swinden knives easier to work on than through pin knives.
However, to take out side play one must convert it into a through pin knife.

You cannot thin the bolsters of a Swinden knife because the bolsters have a hollow spot for the Swinden rivet head to sit in. Best method is to replace the bolsters with solid nickel silver bar stock.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Shorthairbirddog

Thanks for the information Orvet, I think the knife would be more comfortable for me if that slabs weren't so thick. Otherwise the knife is a good size for me. Any chance that you would work on it for me?

Jim
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I just had surgery in February.
At this point I about 6 months from taking new orders.
I can't promise anything, but check back with me this fall.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”