My Colonial Barlow modification...with limited tools

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Stringplucker

My Colonial Barlow modification...with limited tools

Post by Stringplucker »

I was handed your typical later run Colonial Barlow with each scale missing a tab. After taking it apart, I decided to rebuild the entire knife...in for a penny, in for a pound, sound about right?

Now, I've made simple repairs to fixed blade knives in the past, but this was my first time for what I was about to embark on. I hammered the outer liners flat, but after a trip to the hardware store for some 3/32" brass pin, decided to scrap all scales completely...I came home with some brass. I made one new scale, clamped it to two other pieces of brass, drilled the holes and temporarily pinned them together so I could profile them as one. I added one additional hole opposite of the center pin, then took them apart. I was going to silver solder solid brass bolsters to the outer liners, but was out of map gas, so I figured two blind rivets would work. After attached, I flat filed the rivets. I had some green jigged bone scales and black micarta spacer that I bought, glued everything up and waited for it to cure. After curing, I carefully drilled the rivet holes through the scales and bolster. I then sanded the bone down close to the liner profiles on both pieces.

All I did to the blades was straighten the tip on the main blade, then clean rust and patina from both...leaving some patina to pay homage to the knife's former life. I kept the original springs, as they were nice and strong...just cleaned up the pocket gunk from the end corner and scallop.

Now, when I say I have limited tools... My belt sander is a 4" wide belt, and I only have course grit belt. The buffer is actually a 3M paint removing tool with red Scotch Brite, on an old drill press. I don't have pin head spinners yet, but will eventually, and will address my pins when I make the tool. I have many hand tools and files in my shop...I was a toolmaker for 28 years, and have nearly everything I collected over those years, plus what I inherited from my father when he passed. He was a die maker.

I still have a little bit of finish work to do once I have access to better machines, but may say the heck with it and try to fix the pivot pin voids with a few hours of hand filing...even though I'm digging the course belt finish on the brass.

For a first time folding knife project, I'm happy with my results. Please, don't be kind with praise, I want to hear some constructive criticism. I'm a disabled toolmaker with a wife that will praise me for being able to get to my own basement shop. I want to hear if it looks like crap, and I want mistakes pointed out to me so I can improve. I'd like to do a number of these re-handle jobs for my grandkids. BTW...I already know about the gap between bolster and liner, and the pivot pin and bolster void. The thickness of it all was on purpose for my large hands. Hit me with everything else you've got, please.

The blades are now tight and have good snap. The main blade will have a wear in period of me working it open and closed...it's a little snug, but workable at the moment.

I hope the pics come through since I apparently am not allowed to use code to insert them...
Attachments
20170405_143156.jpg
20170405_143232.jpg
20170405_151119.jpg
Jon
Stringplucker

Re: My Colonial Barlow modification...with limited tools

Post by Stringplucker »

This project took me roughly a week to do, working as I felt able to. This made me feel like I was at work again...something I miss. This is why I want to do more of this type of projects for the grandkids.

I didn't know which subforum to place this in since it's more of a modified restoration, and less customization, since I kept it a Barlow design, and used the original spring bars and blades. If a moderator deems it needs moved, please do so. Thanks.
Jon
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Pretty dadgummed nice for an old toolmaker with "limited tools". As long as you like the sanded look (I don't) who gives a rip what others think (even me). I see some good bones on that knife that show potential for the maker.

Lucky for you, used tools go for a fraction of their new price. Maybe you should start checking Craig's List for a narrow belt sander, or make your own (parts are available). With the proper tools and some experience, I think you have a bright future in the custom knife business.
Attachments
Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK- 25%.JPG
Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK- 25%.JPG (89.49 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice work!!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Looks pretty good to me, especially for a first time. Keep at it you will only improve. Looks a lot like a Utica barlow I used to own.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Thanks, fellas. I'm just pleased that I was able to salvage the blades for the next generation. The old US made knives are made from some great steel, and I hate seeing an old knife with cosmetic issues be tossed aside for a new, inexpensive Asian made knife with shiny, sparkly stuff. Because of my questionable decisions of my youth, and my father saving everything, I have a box of broken pocket knives with great steel, just begging for a new life. Looks like I have some work to do.

I think I want to work a few up with wood next. I do some gunsmith work on the side, mainly working on 1911's, and have some old grip scales that I can recycle. Some have battle scars from previous owners, and others are brand new that the customer wanted swapped out. Some are smooth and some are checkered. At any rate, it's good wood that can be used for knife scales.
Jon
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Stringplucker, Nice 1st. project! Nothing to be ashamed or apologize for, I hope I can do just as good on my first complete rebuild. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

First off, Welcome to AAPK . ::welcome::
We love pictures, and you are off to a great start !!

Your custom knife work is pretty good. I personally like the rough finish in the bolsters.
The brass complements the green bone perfect. Might not have worked with silver metals
or darker bone .. .. .. just my humble opinion.

You knocked this 'un outta the park! Makes me wonder what you could do
with 'proper tools' ..... ???

::hmm::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That looks great for a 1st time mod! I really don't have a lot to critique. What you did with limited tools is amazing. I really like the black spacer.

But, since you asked:

I would sand down the back of the knife where the backsprings are. I like to see them flush with the liners/handle materials. Plus it will clean up the springs.

You didn't mention if you were using a slackener when you peened the pivot pin. A slackener introduces a tiny bit of wiggle room in the joint for the blades to move without binding. Once you remove that slackener, you can always tighten things up a little more if needed. Most of us just make them out of thin feeler gauges.

Your belt sander, is that a tabletop model, or a hand version? The tabletop ones work great, and I rarely use anything other than a coarse belt on that tool. What I would invest in, if they a Harbor Freight near you, is a 1 x 30 belt sander. They're not an amazing piece of machinery, but you can dial them in okay, they don't cost a lot, and you can use the heck out of them. You can get different grit belts for them, which will help your finishing.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Great job for the first one! Looks better than my first! I still dont have the right tools... No money to buy more with since my health forced me to retire. I have a cheap 4 inch belt sander and a cheap 1x30. I use buff bobs in a drill press to clean and polish. Its addicting for sure! I cant wait to see what you do next! Glad you could join us! Welcome ::tu::
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

glennbad wrote:That looks great for a 1st time mod! I really don't have a lot to critique. What you did with limited tools is amazing. I really like the black spacer.

But, since you asked:

I would sand down the back of the knife where the backsprings are. I like to see them flush with the liners/handle materials. Plus it will clean up the springs.

You didn't mention if you were using a slackener when you peened the pivot pin. A slackener introduces a tiny bit of wiggle room in the joint for the blades to move without binding. Once you remove that slackener, you can always tighten things up a little more if needed. Most of us just make them out of thin feeler gauges.

Your belt sander, is that a tabletop model, or a hand version? The tabletop ones work great, and I rarely use anything other than a coarse belt on that tool. What I would invest in, if they a Harbor Freight near you, is a 1 x 30 belt sander. They're not an amazing piece of machinery, but you can dial them in okay, they don't cost a lot, and you can use the heck out of them. You can get different grit belts for them, which will help your finishing.
Thanks for the critique. I used a 0.002" feeler on one blade. I cut a slit in the feeler and trimmed it to fit on three sides. I got a little carried away and thought about checking the feeler after the last hit with the hammer. The smaller blade is perfect, but the larger one is a bit snug. If I can't get it to loosen up through opening and closing alone, I'll add a touch of diamond lapping compound to the joint and work it in, then rinse with penetrating oil to remove the remaining compound. If I do that, it should produce a very smooth action...it's what I use when lapping in 1911 slides to frames when I'm fitting them properly.

My belt sander is a table top version from Harbor Freight...the 4 X 36 model they have, and it came with only one grit belt. It's not perfect, but it does a good enough job. I was eyeing the 1 X 30 model this morning. The next time I'm out there, I'll likely pick one up. I just ordered a few assortment packages of belts for the sander I already have. When those come in, I'll finish the backsprings. I left those alone until I had the finer grit belt ready.
Jon
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Looks very good to me. I think you did a great job on the hand peened pins!
Dan
Dan
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

danno50 wrote:Looks very good to me. I think you did a great job on the hand peened pins!
Dan
Thank you. I was thinking of making or buying a pin rounder to finish them off, but the look has really grown on me. I've been using the knife daily while waiting on the finer sanding belts to be delivered, and the more I use it, the better I like it.

I stopped out at the local sportsman's club the other day for some gunpowder therapy, and used it to open the package of targets. The guy at the bench next to me asked to borrow it for the same duty, and commented on it, saying he's never seen a Barlow design quite like it. We later chatted it up in the parking lot, and when I told him what it used to be and what I did to get it to it's current state, he was impressed. He told me that when I stop in to the club next week, that there will be a small package of old pocket knives with my name on it...some worthy of resale and others in need of TLC. All he asked is that I sharpen a few in the box that he wants back. He said he'd have them marked.

My wife is happy that I'll have something to do other than pester her through the day. LOL
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

My belts finally came in for my sander, and I was able to complete the knife...but I screwed up and allowed too much heat while sanding with the finer grit belt and cracked the scales. It's not bad, and won't go anywhere due to the epoxy, but it's enough to piss me off a bit. First knife will always have mistakes, and mine show. Oh well...I still love the final product, and will carry it for a few years, I'm sure.
20170423_143322.jpg
20170423_143333.jpg
20170423_143340.jpg
20170423_143403.jpg
20170423_143413.jpg
Jon
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Looks good to me ::tu:: She will make a great user! ::handshake:: You can go back and look at the early work that some have posted here and see the kinds of problems that have been overcome. Sure has taught me a load of patience ::nod:: Which is good as I still encounter problems when working on knives. Keep up the good work.!
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Thank you for the compliment. This was my first, and will be used and carried often. It's got good American made blades and it's a solid knife. The more I use it, the better it feels. Saved from the scrap pile and back into circulation. I plan on doing a number of these. I think my next Barlow build will be with nickel silver solid bolsters and some sort of wood. I have a number of blocks of stabilized wood, along with a couple of beat up walnut gun stocks that I can harvest scales from, and my stock of old knives is growing, so I'll have a number of these coming out of my shop in the future.
Jon
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Looks to me like you did an outstanding job. I'm impressed.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

Looks like a pretty 'solid' effort to me ::tu:: . As for the lack of tools don't let that deter you, as these are all small knives most of the work (if not all) can be done by hand ... it just takes a bit longer. I do have a 1 inch sander but prefer to do most of the work - especially the finer finishing detail by hand ... it gives you much more control. (one moment of inattention on a belt sander and days of work can go down the drain real quick ::facepalm:: )
I actually find hand-sanding a bit like (what I think) meditation must be... very relaxing. And it can be done at the kitchen table or by the fire if its cold in the workshop.
Silver soldering the bolsters will be a good next step & give you a better finish and clean look, it's nice to have no gaps between the liners & the bolsters.
I like your idea of using the old grips off a 1911. I have done a couple using the checkering side panels of an old rifle stock.
Keep at it Mate ... as you have already discovered it is very rewarding and gives a great feeling of satisfaction.
DSCN4206c.jpg
Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”