Tight blades

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
cubflyer

Tight blades

Post by cubflyer »

Hello, noob question here I have a couple older slip joint knives and I'm having trouble pulling the blades out is there anything anybody recommends using to make it easier a little mineral oil? Thanks, Dan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Tight blades

Post by Colonel26 »

cubflyer wrote:Hello, noob question here I have a couple older slip joint knives and I'm having trouble pulling the blades out is there anything anybody recommends using to make it easier a little mineral oil? Thanks, Dan
Always keep the joints (where the blades pivot) oiled. Everybody had their favorites and any light machine oil will work to a degree (like 3-in-One oil). I don't think mineral oil does a good enough job creeping into the joint. My favorite is Quick Release. It is amazing stuff and has been know to even restore snap where it had been lost.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cubflyer

Post by cubflyer »

Colonel26 wrote:
cubflyer wrote:Hello, noob question here I have a couple older slip joint knives and I'm having trouble pulling the blades out is there anything anybody recommends using to make it easier a little mineral oil? Thanks, Dan
Always keep the joints (where the blades pivot) oiled. Everybody had their favorites and any light machine oil will work to a degree (like 3-in-One oil). I don't think mineral oil does a good enough job creeping into the joint. My favorite is Quick Release. It is amazing stuff and has been know to even restore snap where it had been lost.
Thank you for the quick response where can I get quick release?
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Release-Oi ... B008RYMM5W

I usually get it off amazon just because we buy a lot of things there. This is enough to last you A LONG time.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Absolutely. Quick Release is really good stuff. Use it all the time. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I use Quick Release Oil if the blades are really tight.

Mineral Oil also works well, but it is slightly more viscous ( thick).

Side Hint: If the blades are abnormally tight soak the oil container in very warm water
(not boiling) for 5-10 min. This will heat the oil and lower the viscosity even further
for penetration into all joints.

Bob

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”