what did i do wrong

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
dobro59

what did i do wrong

Post by dobro59 »

I am not a super-duper repairman, but am trying to learn. I have used Devcon 5 minute 2 part epoxy a few times before to repair chip at the rocker pin.
Most have turned out fine. Most repairs i've done were on green bone knifes, so since the epoxy dried it was pretty close to color. Have also done 1 repair on a black handled knife and used a little black powered substance to match color. Well, this last time it was a brown handle knife. I tried some brown
liquid epoxy cast coloring mixture. Mixed it in resin got the color pretty close and put the hardener in. Tried it twice and could never get the epoxy to harden completely, it is sort of rubbery. Used more hardner the second time, i am wondering if i still didn't get enough hardener or if this colorant is messing with me. Any thoughts??
Brumbydownunder

Re: what did i do wrong

Post by Brumbydownunder »

I've had similar 'Mixed' results. I've done a small test run with a particular color ... all okay ... so move to the repair proper and it won't harden. Like you I'm guessing the addition of an extra ingredient can influence the outcomes... just enough color ... not a problem but add a fraction more and ::td:: the mix just won't work.

Also temperature can be a factor too .... like paint epoxies don't like it too cold or too hot. One other thing you mention it is a 5 minute epoxy (?) leave it for 24 + hours it still might harden. I use 24 hour epoxies and had one repair not so long ago where I added color ... I could mark the repair with a finger nail after a day. Put the knife aside to re-do the repair forgot about it for a few days and when I went back to it it was rock hard.
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Never had luck using dyes with 2 part epoxies. on brown handles either use sanding dust from a similar colored wood or powdered coffee.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

muskrat man wrote:Never had luck using dyes with 2 part epoxies. on brown handles either use sanding dust from a similar colored wood or powdered coffee.
I agree, I've not had luck with that method either.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”