Shops, tools, materials and tips

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
BIGHEAD

Re: Shops, tools, materials and tips

Post by BIGHEAD »

orvet wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:48 am Nev,
I love the jig you made to hold knife springs, very good thinking! I may have to copy your idea!

Your pin stock holder is also a good idea. The more pin stock you get the harder it is to manage it so for the sizes I use most frequently I have organized in PVC pipe.
This is a very old picture about 15 years ago when I didn't have a lot of pin stock. I will try to get a picture of my new pin stockholder. I do pre-make make a lot of pins and keep those in plastic containers by size. I also have a lot of premade pins I purchased when Schrade and Camillus went out of business. But the actual pin stock itself is kind of a pain to manage because you want to keep it somewhat organized so you don't spend half your time looking for the right size pin stock!

This is what I used to hold pin stock15 years ago.
Pin Stock 2007.JPG

I will try and remember to get a picture of my current storage method.
That is what I currently use. I cut 3/4 pvc to 5” long put end caps on them then screwed them to the side of my work bench. Works for me.
You can see them in the left side of this picture.
43153AC4-19D4-4C4C-BC62-DBAF21483178.jpeg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Took some updated shop pics last night. They don't look much different than some of the ones I've shared before, but a few new items...

This is my drill press area. The unit underneath was a blueprint plan drawer. Makes great storage for handle materials and other misc stuff...
Shop8.jpg
This is one of my benches. I have a bunch of those cheap 1 x 30 sander setups, and a Delta bandsaw for material cutting.
Shop9.jpg
This is fairly new, a 2 x 72 grinder that I built from scratch with NWG plans. I do use it, but not as much as I could be...
Shop10.jpg
Here is my metal cutting bandsaw, just a dewalt portable that I have rigged up on a wall mount. I have it on a foot pedal.
Shop11.jpg
My baby, a Baldor buffer...
Shop12.jpg
I recently added another buffer, this big guy...
Shop12a.jpg
My main assembly/work bench. So dang messy!
Shop13.jpg
Another bench area with some shelving for misc. crap...
Shop14.jpg
This is my current pin storage...I keep the pin sizes grouped by tape and write the drill bit size on there for easy info
Shop15.jpg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Some of the longer pieces in the front of the pin stock box look curved like they were cut off a spool. I’ve seen NS wire stock in spools but wondered if there are different hardnesses?
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

C-WADE7 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:05 pm Some of the longer pieces in the front of the pin stock box look curved like they were cut off a spool. I’ve seen NS wire stock in spools but wondered if there are different hardnesses?
I bought them off an ebay seller I think, they came that way. I think they are a .093 dia
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I bought some .081" nickel silver pin stock on ebay, several years ago. Wallace Rockwell was the seller and he had worked at Camillus It was from a roll of wire from the Camillus factory. It was the half-hard nickel silver. It is all slightly curved. I straighten it as I need it.

I recently got 10 feet of dead soft 1/16" brass wire from a jewelry supplier. I think it will work better for peened handle pins, it should be much easier to peen.
However, dead soft brass won't work as a pivot pin.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This is what I use for for 99% of the work I used to do on a stiddy.
20220925_072939.jpg
The round one is just a piece of steel, 3" tall by 3-3/4" in diameter. As you can probably tell from the dings and dents, I do not believe it is hardened.

The railroad track is a recent addition. I've had it for a long time just decided I wanted a somewhat larger anvil on my bench. The aluminum washer is held on by a screw which is recessed. I drilled and tapped the railroad track and used a 1/4 x 20 screw hold the aluminum washer in place. I use the aluminum washer when I am peening the inside of a handle pin. The spun head of the brass pin will sink into the aluminum when I peen the back side of the pin. The soft aluminum helps prevent the brass pin head from flattening out.
Eventually I will clean up the surface of the railroad track, but for the moment it's just a nice piece of steel to use as an anvil.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Eelephant

Post by Eelephant »

My “shop”. Pic one Work area, pic two Assembly area.
Attachments
26D8CAED-26AF-4D2B-821C-941FE54E8F9E.jpeg
16A12D8F-B777-4000-85D5-C3E9A44FE480.jpeg
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

F538B44F-F4AB-4100-AA63-12DAA572FB56.jpeg
D5859871-55C5-4AAF-BCE9-A142038B03D7.jpeg
D5859871-55C5-4AAF-BCE9-A142038B03D7.jpeg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Very nice stiddy! ::tu::
Did you make it?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Had it made. ::ds::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Whomever made it did a good job.

I'll have to read through this topic a little more extensively, and pick up a copy of the $50 knife shop book.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I took a panorama shot of my shop, standing between the two roll up doors. The door on the left and the door on the right of the pic are only a couple of feet apart - the panorama flattens everything out.

Our kids came over a couple of weeks ago and finally took all their childhood stuff home and threw out what they didn't want (finally!!!). That cleared up quite a bit of floor and counter top space. I just picked up an old Craftsman 6" jointer that I bought from a friend. It runs ok, but needs a little TLC. My neighbor had the rocking chair in his burn pit, and then asked my if I wanted it. It wasn't broken, just the glue had came loose. I said sure, and just glued it back together with some Titebond - now everyone likes to sit in it. Sawdust is big issue. I've been thinking of a dust collection system, and what kind of floor layout would make sense. I still have some cleaning and re-arranging to do, but slowly making progress in getting it set up like I want.
Attachments
20230404_190532.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:57 am I took a panorama shot of my shop, standing between the two roll up doors. The door on the left and the door on the right of the pic are only a couple of feet apart - the panorama flattens everything out.

Our kids came over a couple of weeks ago and finally took all their childhood stuff home and threw out what they didn't want (finally!!!). That cleared up quite a bit of floor and counter top space. I just picked up an old Craftsman 6" jointer that I bought from a friend. It runs ok, but needs a little TLC. My neighbor had the rocking chair in his burn pit, and then asked my if I wanted it. It wasn't broken, just the glue had came loose. I said sure, and just glued it back together with some Titebond - now everyone likes to sit in it. Sawdust is big issue. I've been thinking of a dust collection system, and what kind of floor layout would make sense. I still have some cleaning and re-arranging to do, but slowly making progress in getting it set up like I want.
Like your idea of a dust collection system. ::tu:: Have a safe and happy Easter my friend. ::handshake::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice layout in your shop, it looks like you have lots of room! I wish I had a little floor space here that wasn't already covered!

Being in a residential area I am reluctant to install a external dust collection system because of the noise. Most of my dust producing equipment is on a single table or near to it. I have a 16 gallon shop vac that is very quiet, with 2-in or 2-1/4 inch hose. It is easy to move the hose to whichever piece of equipment I am using to make dust. It's not the ideal system, but it works well in my small shop.

It appears you have plenty of room in your shop so you could probably install a collection system without much difficulty.

Impressive layout and nice shop! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Thanks Cudgee and Dale. I worked in the shop all day again, moving stuff around and cleaning. I have been in it 3 years next month, and finally getting it set up like I want. Moved the scrap wood pile today, and replaced it with the grinder and the power washer. I also cleaned out a cubby hole and the yellow welding cart and shop vac fit right into it, so I don't have to roll them out of the way all the time. The scrap wood pile is now behind the 4x4 sheet (behind the fans). I will make that into a swinging door to hide the wood pile.

The previous owner covered the walls in old fence wood and old barn tin, which is pretty cool. But he left a lot of gaps I need to cover.
Attachments
20230407_203643.jpg
20230407_195416.jpg
20230407_195401.jpg
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Unk wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:47 am Thanks Cudgee and Dale. I worked in the shop all day again, moving stuff around and cleaning. I have been in it 3 years next month, and finally getting it set up like I want. Moved the scrap wood pile today, and replaced it with the grinder and the power washer. I also cleaned out a cubby hole and the yellow welding cart and shop vac fit right into it, so I don't have to roll them out of the way all the time. The scrap wood pile is now behind the 4x4 sheet (behind the fans). I will make that into a swinging door to hide the wood pile.

The previous owner covered the walls in old fence wood and old barn tin, which is pretty cool. But he left a lot of gaps I need to cover.
Neat looking fishing rods. ::tu::
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

BIGHEAD wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:28 am F538B44F-F4AB-4100-AA63-12DAA572FB56.jpegD5859871-55C5-4AAF-BCE9-A142038B03D7.jpegD5859871-55C5-4AAF-BCE9-A142038B03D7.jpeg
That’s a beauty Bighead!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

cudgee wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:06 am
Unk wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:47 am
Neat looking fishing rods. ::tu::
Thanks Cudgee. I need to use them more often! I bought that homemade carousel at an estate sale.
Mike

Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Bighead, here is a pic I posted of my stiddy back in 2011. My how time flies.

Looks very simlar to yours. I bought mine from one of the AAPK members back then, but don't remember who. They had a batch made.
Attachments
Stiddy.jpg
Mike

Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

My little place of enjoyment...making leather and knife goods...
Attachments
20210902_161709.jpg
20210830_204142.jpg
robpa

Post by robpa »

Nice organized work place ya have there! I always assay the work place before I contract for any kind of work from auto body, mechanics to wood work Ot equipment repair. Thays not to say I havent seen some fine work come out of a shop which might resemble mine!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, that is what I call "palatial". lol
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Alien883 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:59 pm My little place of enjoyment...making leather and knife goods...
That's an amazing shop! I'm jealous of all the room you have. You almost need a golf cart to get from one side of the shop to the other! :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

orvet wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:46 pm
Alien883 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:59 pm My little place of enjoyment...making leather and knife goods...
That's an amazing shop! I'm jealous of all the room you have. You almost need a golf cart to get from one side of the shop to the other! :lol:
Lol...it was actually double that size...but I had to give up half of it for a newly build basement apartment my son wanted!!
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

robpa wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:30 pm Nice organized work place ya have there! I always assay the work place before I contract for any kind of work from auto body, mechanics to wood work Ot equipment repair. Thays not to say I havent seen some fine work come out of a shop which might resemble mine!
Lol...my Dad was a superb craftsman, but his shop and tool shed places was an utterly mess...lol...when I got my first small shop space I promised myself that you can eat of the floor in mine!! And I kept that promise to myself now in my new BIG shop!! Lol

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”