Shops, tools, materials and tips

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Rdubya21

Re: Shops, tools, materials and tips

Post by Rdubya21 »

I made a spring tool that Dale has shone . It’s great on a Camillus , sure it will work for other type knives.
96AA56AE-E6EE-4F8A-8F96-86CA5A82AF5A.jpeg
B9DDF0CA-B67E-47AA-A2FC-386AC92354E8.jpeg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rdubya21 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:19 pm I made a spring tool that Dale has shone . It’s great on a Camillus , sure it will work for other type knives.

96AA56AE-E6EE-4F8A-8F96-86CA5A82AF5A.jpeg

B9DDF0CA-B67E-47AA-A2FC-386AC92354E8.jpeg
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Good thinking Batman. ::nod::
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Does anyone here have any experience with Pheer grinders? The reviews I’ve read have been mostly favorable.
I’m looking at possibly purchasing one to replace my two wheel Coote grinder. The Coote is a solid performer but I’m interested in moving to a three wheel configuration with a speed control and a few other goodies. There seems to be four or five belt grinder manufacturers out there with solid products and varying prices.
Thanks.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I have been using my dad's old anvil we used for equipment repair about 200 pounds, But I wanted something I could use on my small knife work bench. I purchased this small 15-pound anvil. It is easy to move around. I also made a small insert to hold knife springs as I strike them to add tension. Just thought I would share some photos.

Nev
old anvil.jpg
new anvil.jpg
new anvil with spring tool.jpg
knife spring.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Nev52 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:48 pm I have been using my dad's old anvil we used for equipment repair about 200 pounds, But I wanted something I could use on my small knife work bench. I purchased this small 15-pound anvil. It is easy to move around. I also made a small insert to hold knife springs as I strike them to add tension. Just thought I would share some photos.

Nevold anvil.jpgnew anvil.jpgnew anvil with spring tool.jpgknife spring.jpg
Ingenious idea. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Thanks for showing. ::tu:: By the way, love your Dads old anvil. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks, Cudgee ::handshake::
Nev
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Nev52 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:48 pm I have been using my dad's old anvil we used for equipment repair about 200 pounds, But I wanted something I could use on my small knife work bench. I purchased this small 15-pound anvil. It is easy to move around. I also made a small insert to hold knife springs as I strike them to add tension. Just thought I would share some photos.

I’ve got a similar Forge anvil (not sure if it’s the 15 pounder). I’ve been using it for a few years and it’s still working well. I like your fixture for holding springs, very cool!
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Jeff,
I really like this small anvil. I was a little apprehensive at first when I compared it to my old anvil but for small work it seems great. I am glad yours has lasted so long now I feel better about the purchase. ::nod::

Nev
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good thinking!
I like that little hardy you made for your small anvil.

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks Mike.
I got tired of chasing the springs across the shop floor. ::dang:: The hardy holds them in place ::tu::

Nev
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Working on a project, thought the tool thread needed a boot along. :)
IMG_20220423_124452.jpg
IMG_20220425_074026.jpg
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

cudgee wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:37 am Working on a project, thought the tool thread needed a boot along. :)

IMG_20220423_124452.jpg

IMG_20220425_074026.jpg
Cudgee
What is the knife you have pictured? I really like it ::tu::
Nev
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Nev52 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:22 pm
cudgee wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:37 am Working on a project, thought the tool thread needed a boot along. :)

IMG_20220423_124452.jpg

IMG_20220425_074026.jpg
Cudgee
What is the knife you have pictured? I really like it ::tu::
Nev
Here is a better photo. It as an A.Wright Lambsfoot with snakewood covers. Glad you like it, and i like your new Avatar. ::tu::
IMG_20220224_103820.jpg
IMG_20220224_115312.jpg
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Very nice knife ::tu:: Thanks, I got tired of the Pennsylvania avatar.
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Here are my Vises. I use the big ones for heavy things. 1 is for taking the knife apart. The other big vise I have on my welding table. I use it to make springs out of lawn mower blades. The one on the floor was my dad's when I get the house built it will go on my gun smithing bench. The small vise is a cheap harbor freight. Believe it or not it is a great knife vise. :shock: I put g10 on the top jaws so it won't scratch the knife. In my opinion it is a perfect size for pocket knife repair. Just thought I would share.
Nev
vise left side of shop.jpg
blade vise.jpg
Dad's vise.jpg
forge vise.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Nev52 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:37 pm Here are my Vises. I use the big ones for heavy things. 1 is for taking the knife apart. The other big vise I have on my welding table. I use it to make springs out of lawn mower blades. The one on the floor was my dad's when I get the house built it will go on my gun smithing bench. The small vise is a cheap harbor freight. Believe it or not it is a great knife vise. :shock: I put g10 on the top jaws so it won't scratch the knife. In my opinion it is a perfect size for pocket knife repair. Just thought I would share.
Nev
vise left side of shop.jpgblade vise.jpgDad's vise.jpgforge vise.jpg
Great collection of vices. Good that you have your dads old vice, and some of those cheaper vices do a good job. The vice is one of the great inventions in the tool industry in my opinion, the tasks that can be achieved with a vice are amazing, work shops would be poorer without them. :)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have been trying in vain to find a nice antique American-made one locally--most got sold for scrap metal. Those that didn't ended up in antiques store windows for stupid prices.

Making a trip to Harbor Freight soon, and I think I'll pick one of those up. I've been using the anvil surface on the big farm shop vise.

I have a rather small vise missing the jaw pads that was my great-Granddad's. My plan is to tap and drill for new bolts (as well as extract the broken screws that are still holding on a damaged jaw pad on one side) and use G-10 or similar to make the pads.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks, Cudgee
You can never have too many vices. ::tu::
Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I think you will like the Harbor Freight Vise. It is good for knife work. In my opinion ::tu:: .
Nev
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Nev52 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:01 am Thanks, Cudgee
You can never have too many vices. ::tu::
Nev
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping::
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Cudgee
You are a very smart man. :wink: ::nod::

Nev
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

I took some junk wood and made a pin stockholder. Not pretty but it works for now. :)
Nev
pin stock holder.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::tu:: ::tu::
Nev52 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:13 pm I took some junk wood and made a pin stockholder. Not pretty but it works for now. :)
Nevpin stock holder.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nev,
I love the jig you made to hold knife springs, very good thinking! I may have to copy your idea!

Your pin stock holder is also a good idea. The more pin stock you get the harder it is to manage it so for the sizes I use most frequently I have organized in PVC pipe.
This is a very old picture about 15 years ago when I didn't have a lot of pin stock. I will try to get a picture of my new pin stockholder. I do pre-make make a lot of pins and keep those in plastic containers by size. I also have a lot of premade pins I purchased when Schrade and Camillus went out of business. But the actual pin stock itself is kind of a pain to manage because you want to keep it somewhat organized so you don't spend half your time looking for the right size pin stock!

This is what I used to hold pin stock15 years ago.
Pin Stock 2007.JPG
I will try and remember to get a picture of my current storage method.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

orvet wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:48 am Nev,
I love the jig you made to hold knife springs, very good thinking! I may have to copy your idea!

Your pin stock holder is also a good idea. The more pin stock you get the harder it is to manage it so for the sizes I use most frequently I have organized in PVC pipe.
This is a very old picture about 15 years ago when I didn't have a lot of pin stock. I will try to get a picture of my new pin stockholder. I do pre-make make a lot of pins and keep those in plastic containers by size. I also have a lot of premade pins I purchased when Schrade and Camillus went out of business. But the actual pin stock itself is kind of a pain to manage because you want to keep it somewhat organized so you don't spend half your time looking for the right size pin stock!

This is what I used to hold pin stock15 years ago.
Pin Stock 2007.JPG

I will try and remember to get a picture of my current storage method.
Thanks Dale. ::handshake:: I would like to see your new pin stock holder. When the pin stock gets short it is hard to keep organized.

Nev

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”