Shops, tools, materials and tips

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shops, tools, materials and tips

Post by dlr110 »

Well, here is my new little nitch in the garage. It's not much, but it will do
for what I plan on doing. I do need to install better lighting over the new
bench. Anyway it will get me started. That last pic is an old Richards that
had a beat up tin handle on it, so I removed it and decided this would be
my first experiment with making my own handle. I'm using some old hickory
wood.
Attachments
20210114_160127.jpg
20210114_160142.jpg
20210114_160210.jpg
20210114_173450.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 pm Well, here is my new little nitch in the garage. It's not much, but it will do
wood.
Looking great David ,your very organized , and looks like you got your new table top drill press. Have to get one of those myself . You sure have come a long ways since your first kit knive. Please show theRichards when you get done !
Here’s my shop in the basement ,been moving stuff in and really not sure yet where to put everything. Have exhaust fan for buffing, grinding ,etc. So now to get that set up and then get after a few knives.
Take care ,stay warm and safe out there. ::tu::
Attachments
9BDA8FBE-DBF1-4FC5-A14E-E62337BCF75F.jpeg
1F148B2E-D6C5-4C98-8524-9DE6304469B6.jpeg
5E31A049-6144-4562-A232-7ACEEC2F1619.jpeg
4E6928DD-3E47-4DDC-9700-2758925228BB.jpeg
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

David, and JP, 2 great set ups. Great minds think alike, just yesterday i was thinking there had been no posts on this thread for a while, glad you both posted. I love looking at peoples workshops and tools, wish i was still in a position to have a work shop, but sadly i can't, but love looking at other members set ups, keep em coming, and tools. Have a good weekend gentleman and take care. :D
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

It's Saturday morning over here, just went up the street to do a bit of shopping. Found these at Aldi, bought 2 of them, $6US each, you could not make them for that. It is bamboo wood, but i am going to give them 2 coats of raw linseed oil to bring out the grain a bit. Going to use them as tool boxes for my knife tools and just some of my other tools as i am restricted for space.
IMAG0429.jpg
They are 11 inch x 71/2 inch x 5 inch deep.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:18 pm It's Saturday morning over here, just went up the street to do a bit of shopping. Found these at Aldi, bought 2 of them, $6US each, you could not make them for that. It is bamboo wood, but i am going to give them 2 coats of raw linseed oil to bring out the grain a bit. Going to use them as tool boxes for my knife tools and just some of my other tools as i am restricted for space.
IMAG0429.jpg

They are 11 inch x 71/2 inch x 5 inch deep.
Very nice Cudgee, that’ll be nice to tote tools with . My Grandpa had wood tool boxes like that ,brought em out when needed ,worked great ! Will be very handy .
Take care over there ::handshake:: Stay out of trouble ::tu:: stay safe !
JP
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Dave, nice shop area, but dang man, WAY too clean!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Giving some of my knives a maintenance clean and polish. These kits are really handy, not expensive, and don't need a Dremel tool, can use any drill.
IMAG0428.jpg
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Сotssey wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 pm Great post. I was always wondering what are the best practices cleaning my knives as some of them really need a polish or two!
Thanks. How are things over in Scotland, very cold i would imagine. :) ::handshake::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

cudgee wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 pm Giving some of my knives a maintenance clean and polish. These kits are really handy, not expensive, and don't need a Dremel tool, can use any drill.

IMAG0428.jpg
Those are handy little kits, good idea. I’ve used them on a variable speed cordless drill , they work great . Like you said,don’t need a Dremel brand to use them .
Nice piece of Cutlery there as well Sir ::tu::
Take care over there ::handshake::
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:51 pm Giving some of my knives a maintenance clean and polish. These kits are really handy, not expensive, and don't need a Dremel tool, can use any drill.

IMAG0428.jpg
Those are handy little kits, good idea. I’ve used them on a variable speed cordless drill , they work great . Like you said,don’t need a Dremel brand to use them .
Nice piece of Cutlery there as well Sir ::tu::
Take care over there ::handshake::
They are great little kits, and not expensive and a lot lot cheaper than trying to buy individual polishing bits. Thanks for the compliment, because of it's provenance it is one of my favorite knives- Charlie Campagna Waynorth Cutlery 2019 Jigged Bone Lambsfoot. The first genuine Lambsfoot production knife made in America. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

IMAG0428.jpg
Beautiful knife! And that’s a nifty kit too. I need to pick one of those up.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 pm Well, here is my new little nitch in the garage. It's not much, but it will do
wood.
How in the tar nation do you get anything done in a shop that clean and organized? :mrgreen:
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Colonel26 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am
wood.
How in the tar nation do you get anything done in a shop that clean and organized? :mrgreen:
That was when I built the bench and just got the equipment in. I'll post one later that shows how it is now. ::facepalm::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:08 am
Colonel26 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 am
wood.
That was when I built the bench and just got the equipment in. I'll post one later that shows how it is now. ::facepalm::
If you’re not stepping over boards and don’t have a layer of sawdust on everything....... lol
Robert E. Lee
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

wood.
The shop is looking good!
You can never have too much lighting (at least at my age that’s true). I replaced all of our basement fluorescent tube lights with led lights. They’re brighter, come on instantly (even when it’s cold) and are really lightweight which makes installation in our suspended ceiling a breeze.
I have that same Wen drill press and like it a lot! It’s gets used a lot in my shop. I also bought a Wen 2 speed bandsaw that’s a nice product as well.
My shop only looks that neat once a week when I clean up and put things where they belong.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Jeffinn wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:42 pm
wood.
The shop is looking good!
You can never have too much lighting (at least at my age that’s true). I replaced all of our basement fluorescent tube lights with led lights. They’re brighter, come on instantly (even when it’s cold) and are really lightweight which makes installation in our suspended ceiling a breeze.
I have that same Wen drill press and like it a lot! It’s gets used a lot in my shop. I also bought a Wen 2 speed bandsaw that’s a nice product as well.
My shop only looks that neat once a week when I clean up and put things where they belong.
Jeff
Thank you Jeff. I put in two of those new LED bar lights in the ceiling of my wife's laundry room and the first time we turned them on everyone was covering their eyes. Those darn things are really bright. I was looking at that WEN bandsaw the other day, I'm not that pleased with the scroll saw I have. I've got some wood scales coming and a friend that does custom wood working in homes is going to save me the larger scrap pieces from his jobs. As soon as I get all of that material I don't think my work space is going to look that way again for some time. Take care. ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Сotssey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:40 am
cudgee wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 pm
Сotssey wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:54 pm Great post. I was always wondering what are the best practices cleaning my knives as some of them really need a polish or two!
Thanks. How are things over in Scotland, very cold i would imagine. :) ::handshake::
Thanks. Well, anything cold can be dealt with a good Single Malt. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Just saw this on a sharpening YouTube clip, then did some searching for other sites about using it not only for sharpening but general grinding and use in the workshop. Great product, has been around for years, but i have never heard of it before. Says about my lack of knowledge more then anything. If anyone here has tried it would love a report. ::tu::

3M Feathering Adhesive, tried to post photo but could not, might be breaking some sort of copy wright laws. ::shrug::
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

I am lucky enough to have a shop in the garage , and turned a bedroom into a play area . Now the kids can’t move back in ! ::nod::
D528C434-8882-44C0-AE51-F2F37123101B.jpeg
54AD9CE4-90FB-40D8-808D-EA2E810D62FA.jpeg
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

F57EE7EA-50CD-4430-92EB-F8BAA4D748AC.jpeg
Got this idea from you guys . Now I can practice puttin a head on pins without breaking things .
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Noice Randy!
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's a fine looking shop and play area!!!
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Thanks guys . I bought some pins from advice given here . I saw some guys keep them in a tube and I liked that idea… so I was headed to the store to buy some plastic pipe and ends , when I thought I best look through my piles of “ saved stuff “ and I found this old vacuum cleaner hose . It has now been repurposed into this nifty pin holder . Wasn’t till I put it together I realized it’s got a seal in the connector, so it’s even sealed ! I get lucky sometimes
FA3C214F-5165-48BD-9295-B3270E3897DE.jpeg
1D1B1015-BFFF-49DF-BA98-EC30719241BE.jpeg
Attachments
51026BF1-3481-4782-BF42-BFAD91C3ADFE.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

We made a little spring compression jig to install blade pivot pins at work on our lunch breaks this week. We made a wood version as proof of concept and then used aluminum scrap and brass pins to build the real deal. It works well and has adjustment to fit several size knives.
Attachments
The wood test model
The wood test model
The finished product.
The finished product.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool job. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”