Shops, tools, materials and tips

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shops, tools, materials and tips

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oki, that was just after a feverish cleaning spree. It doesn't look like that now. Around here, flat surfaces are "stuff" magnets. :lol:

This is the before picture.
Attachments
Garage 3-22-10.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
reddirtknives
Location: Okrahoma where the wind comes sreeping down the prain

Post by reddirtknives »

I had a feeling that pic was taken on a good day. I guess I just feel better or more comfortable in a worked in enviornment… So tell me, How did you get yourself into that cleaning frenzie? I try and try to get in the mood but I'm so easily sidetracked… Nice shop by the way… Spacious
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
... ... `.~ RED DIRT KNIVES ~.` ... ...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I don't know. Once in a great while the spirit moves me and I get tired of the clutter. I fly in and get it all arranged nice and neat which lasts for maybe a day. :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
reddirtknives

Post by reddirtknives »

But but but you have the space to put things in other places… This is definately one area where hiring a maid would only make things worse. My work space might be cluttered but I know where most everything is at and I can tell if someone has been searching for a tool… I like to think of it as organized chaos :)
DJ Red Tater Tip ~ Killer of Threads, Solo Pioneer in The Intergalactic Cutlery Trade
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

I totally agree Tater Tip! ::tu::
I ONCE did hire a maid ::facepalm:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang::
( ::doh:: Dang it Audry, where's my sh@&*)

Still missing about 5 wire brushes, a chipping hammer, and other things I only remember when I need them. That was about 6 years ago. :roll:
Live and learn...

Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You guys don’t need is not a maid, you need a granddaughter!
Alexis moved in with us when she was a year or two old. She lived with us, (and her dad & older sister). She lived with us off and on for 7 or 8 years. When she was little she would come out into the shop and ask is she could help me. There is not much a 5 year old can do in a knife shop except clean, so that is what she did. She would vacuum the floor, and dust off the machinery and the workbenches. I would give her a some change, then it was a dollar or two. She hasn’t lived with us for a few years, (yes, I do miss her!), but when she came to stay with us for a week at Christmas she wanted clean my shop in trade for a knife for her boyfriend. Sigh, they grow up so fast!

But that is how I get my shop cleaned!
It usually happens in the summer when she comes to visit and at Christmas.

This is what it looks like now two months after Christmas:
Attachments
PICT0035.JPG
PICT0036.JPG
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
reddirtknives

Post by reddirtknives »

Mr.Joe dirt, Let those things go man. Hit the swap meet and local china tool mart. Your other tools should show up shortly after you get the new ones in place. ::nod::
Mr. Orvet Sir. I am in no hurry for any grandkids but it looks like you are still in pretty good shape. I think it looks nicely organized. ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Jerry, I love your outfeed table! ::tu:: I would have no room for something like that in my shop.

Dale, my shop looks like yours, except yours is organized... :shock: :lol:
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

This post could go in the custom forum as well.

I recently purchased a new KMG grinder for my shop. The primary reason was wanting a variable speed grinder. I have had and used a Blademaster 2"x72"grinder for over 15 years now and love it. I'm used to it but always wished that it was variable speed. I have made a lot of my own equipment and am always looking to get the most bang for the buck in anything I do so looking at the price of the KMG I wanted was a bitter pill for me to say the least.

I shopped around and ended up buying just the KMG without a motor or variable speed drive. I purchased 2 new Baldor 2 HP 3 PH motors that I found on eBay. The seller said they were government surplus and they cost me about $190 each including shipping. If you ever checked prices on Baldors like these you know $190 is a bargian and then some. These motors had drive shafts that were 18" long so they had to be cut down for my use.

Next I found the variable speed KBAC 9520 controller I needed here http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/. This was the lowest price I found searching the internet. Then I purchased a 2 way knife type switch, the wire, pulleys and belts I needed. This is what I needed for my plan to use the controller I bought to send the variable speed to both motors I purchased. One for the KMG and one for my old Blademaster grinder.

I had to move another grinder I made to get the KMG where I wanted it,. The Blademater had to stay where it was.

The end result was that I converted my Blademaster to variable speed and set up the KMG as a variable speed all for less than the price of what the variable speed KMG with motor would have cost. I just have to throw the switch to the grinder I want to use. One controller and two variable speed grinders.

The variable speed is nice. I can run the belts much slower than before. It takes me longer to make mistakes now though.

I still prefer the Blademaster grinder to the KMG especially now with the variable drive. Just a matter of getting used to the new KMG I'm sure. The KMG has a 10" contact wheel as opposed to the 8" on the Blademaster so this gives me some more versatility. The Blademaster has the convenience of being able to use both the contact wheel and the flat platen without changing anything. It also has a foot pedal that releases the belt tension so you have 2 hands free to change belts. Very cool machine made in Crowley TX. I don't think the man that made these has had them in production for many years now.

I included pics of a double 12" flat disc grinder I made as well as the 2"x72" small wheel grinder I made that had to be moved. You can also see the 10" 2 wheel buffer I made to the right of the Blademaster.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Wayne Robertson
Attachments
725.JPG
726.JPG
727.JPG
728.JPG
2237.jpg
201.jpg
200.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Awesome setup Wayne! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
reddirtknives

Post by reddirtknives »

Very nice, Great idea making both variable speed for less than 1 machine. I like thrifty, What in the heck are you making with all of that stuff?
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

reddirtknives wrote:Very nice, Great idea making both variable speed for less than 1 machine. I like thrifty, What in the heck are you making with all of that stuff?
There is hardly a day goes by that I don't spend some time in my shop. Repairing, restoring anything that needs fixing but mostly playing with, working on or making knives. Here are some pics of some letter openers I made. I always clamp duplicate parts together for profiling as shown. I try to make some of these letter openers around Christmas time each year. They make good gifts. Handles are ivory, bark ivory, mastodon ivory, stag and stabilized maple. Heat treated 410 Stainless Steel. I do my own heat treating. Leather work too.

I am not sure of the time ratio but for every hour I spend making a mess out of my shop I spend some time trying to clean it up.

Wayne
Attachments
199.jpg
200.jpg
204.jpg
339.jpg
348.jpg
354.jpg

Wayne

reddirtknives

Post by reddirtknives »

I see them now lol WOW very nice letter openers. I would definitely be calling them custom daggers...
wishful

Post by wishful »

My little wood shop.
Attachments
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
Life would be meaningless if we couldn't wish for anything.
reddirtknives

Post by reddirtknives »

ummm…. Can I move in? ::woot:: Into your little wood shop… dang,I wouldn't show my situation to anyone… especially now lol
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Geez Wayne, you been holding out on us. Great looking equipment, and beautiful work!
junebug

Post by junebug »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
I LIKE HOW "WISHY" HAS TA HAVE SIGNS UP....TO TELL HIM WHAT "NOT" TO DO...HAHAHAHAHAH

POOR "OLE".......... :mrgreen:
NOT EVEN ALLOWED IN SOME DOORS.................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

::poke::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

junebug wrote:::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
I LIKE HOW "WISHY" HAS TA HAVE SIGNS UP....TO TELL HIM WHAT "NOT" TO DO...HAHAHAHAHAH

POOR "OLE".......... :mrgreen:
NOT EVEN ALLOWED IN SOME DOORS.................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

::poke::
I think I would have to go in there just cuz. Curiosity killed the cat but I would risk it.

Wayne

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

wishful wrote:My little wood shop.
If that's little I don't want to see big. Very nice set up!

I though my shop was big when I built 10 years ago. It's getting smaller all the time. I think you need more equipment and clutter. ::super_happy::

Wayne

wishful

Post by wishful »

:x >>>>>>> Buggie
reddirtknives

Post by reddirtknives »

My experience when it comes to woodshops with lots of open space is that there is some serious work being put out… Usually also means the guys are out on an install and the mess is cleaned up, shop is ready to start mill work for the next house or store,bar etc… One question… Where's all of the lumber?
wishful

Post by wishful »

Here's some of the lumber RD.
Attachments
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

wishful wrote:Here's some of the lumber RD.
Very nice. What do you make out of all that wood? Do you mill it too? Any pictures?

Wayne

wishful

Post by wishful »

btrwtr, I cut the logs on my property and have them sawed by a guy with a portable mill. I use the lumber for various projects, cabinets, etc.
reddirtknives

Post by reddirtknives »

::nod::
I seem to learn something new everyday about you fellas
:)

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”