Shops, tools, materials and tips

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Shops, tools, materials and tips

Post by glennbad »

Wait, I think I see some empty space on the wall up high!

Kinda looks like my shop....except yours is more organized. :shock: :oops:
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

glennbad wrote:Wait, I think I see some empty space on the wall up high!
I know Glenn, how does he rate with blank wall space? ::shrug::

My wife gave me a nice Oregon Ducks football calendar and I don't have enough blank wall space in my shop to hang it! ::facepalm::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
popisdull

Post by popisdull »

I see you guy's shops I feel I died and gone to heaven. I got a workbench vice and grinder with buffer wheel. Bought a new stool this mornig bygollie! Need more files. Lol
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

New pin stock organizing system. got tired of the pvc pipes getting shifted around, filling with dust, short pieces of pin would disappear into them never to be seen again, materials getting mixed up. This should alleviate all those problems. One box for each material, one box for tubes and one box for big stock for fixed blades. I still need to make labels for each tray, theory is when I can clearly read the label in the bottom of the tray it's time to order more. As you can see I'm low on a lot of stuff, my jantz order is inbound :D
Attachments
1/16", 1.8mm, 2.0mm, 3/32" and 1/8" all fit in one box.
1/16", 1.8mm, 2.0mm, 3/32" and 1/8" all fit in one box.
The label in case anyone else wants to do this. Amazon has them for about $6 ea with free shipping. they also make a deeper model of the same box but it's not really necessary unless you're storing some awfully fat rod
The label in case anyone else wants to do this. Amazon has them for about $6 ea with free shipping. they also make a deeper model of the same box but it's not really necessary unless you're storing some awfully fat rod
Nice neat little dust free stack. maybe eventually make a chest for them that each box will slide into it's own shelf? Steel label won't stick, going to run a strip of tape over the labels, keeps them from getting dirty too.
Nice neat little dust free stack. maybe eventually make a chest for them that each box will slide into it's own shelf? Steel label won't stick, going to run a strip of tape over the labels, keeps them from getting dirty too.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I had that on my mind also, Kaleb. Currently, I use those little paper bags that the pin stock comes in, and I write the sizes on them. It's not a good system, though. I don't have an organizer big enough, so I will have to go out and get ones like yours. Nice ::tu::
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

the nice thing about these is everything is actually hinged, no molded flaps for things to hinge on that will just snap off eventually
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Man looking at all this organization makes me think my wife i right. I am disorganized.

I'm going to give that pin bin a try.

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Those are great Kaleb! ::tu::
I use a lot of them and some other plastic containers I get from Office Depot/Office Max (now the same company), and some I used to get from Wal-Mart though they don't carry as many as they used to.
I will get some pics and post them later.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here are some of the storage containers I use in my shop.
For me compact and efficient storage is essential because I have a lot of stuff in my shop and I am limited on space.

Here are the three pin trays I use the most, the upper tray are pins I have premade by spinning a head on one end of the pin. The lower trays are nickel silver and brass pins I have traded for/purchased over the years. I shudder to think how many dollars are in those two trays since I have not found these pins in the large quantities and had to purchase them in small packets.
Pin trays.jpg
This is where the pin trays and others set next to my workbench.
Pin & Misc Storage.jpg
I still use the PVC tubes to store full 12 inch lengths of pin stock.
Full length pin stock.jpg
These boxes come in assorted sizes and are made in EU. I seem to recall some of them being stamped made in England, but I guess if they are stamped EU they could be made in England or anywhere else in the European Union. The brand name is REALLY USEFUL BOX. There is a size even smaller than the one on top and they get much, much larger. They are rated by volume in liters. The small one on top is rated at .14 L and the one on the bottom is rated 3 L. I find these at Office Depot or OfficeMax. I think the largest ones they carry are about 50 liters.
Some of the REALLY USEFUL BOX sizes.jpg
Here are some more pictures of the storage containers I use as they appear on the shelves.
More storage a.jpg
I have found a number of these plastic drawers quite useful for organizing things and keeping them clean yet right next to my workbench where I need them.
More storage b.jpg
These containers with light blue handles were some I picked up at Walmart. Walmart used to carry a lot of sizes in these but they are getting harder to find.
More storage c.jpg

Some more Walmart containers. What I like about this particular size is they will store full sheets of sandpaper flat so they don’t curl there also large enough to store full packs of sandpaper. These three containers are full of individual sandpaper sheets, sandpaper packets and 3M polishing paper. By storing them in these containers my sandpaper doesn’t curl, which can be a real annoyance when that does happen.
More storage d.jpg

Well there you have it, a look into my organized chaos! :lol:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

That looks great Dale. I have used the small tackle like trays from hobby lobby ($1.99 ea) for a while for storing blades, springs, screws, bails and other small parts. They work really well. the dividers are permanent though so you have to cut them out if you need a larger compartment but the price is right.
Attachments
100_0090.JPG
I also have several of these that were given to me about a year ago. most were full of screws, bolts, nuts and other hardware but the empty ones i have been using for knife part storage
I also have several of these that were given to me about a year ago. most were full of screws, bolts, nuts and other hardware but the empty ones i have been using for knife part storage
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Yep Kaleb, I'm sure of it now. I'm disorganized.

Wayne

Wayne

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I see we think along the same lines Kaleb.
I have several of those I bought at an estate sale, though I have phased some of them out mostly were knife parts are concerned. For me, the tackle boxes are more efficient for knife parts.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

A couple of snaps of my knife making area, come reloading, gun cleaning area.
DSCN4267.JPG
DSCN4268.JPG
DSCN4270.JPG
Everything in here is done by hand - the heavy artillery - bandsaw, sanders, drill press etc is in a separate room.
A question please... I see a couple of mentions of a "Spreader" I assume to spread slip joints to take them apart (?)
Could someone post a photo or two - or perhaps a link ?
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Nice looking and well organized shop. Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

Wayne

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I found a cheap local source for some handle materials. Lee Valley tools sells 3/4" X 3/4" blanks for turning pens in fancy hardwoods and some acrylic. I got the materials below: yellow/black acrylic (receipt calls it acetate), birds eye maple, bocote and African ebony, for just under $20. the hardwoods are about 8" long so should do 2 smaller knives each. I use a jig on my radial arm saw to cut the pen blanks down the centre. I don't have a band saw and think the radial arm is safer to use than the table saw for this. Not sure how the acetate is going to work out. The fellow at the checkout says that when turning it the material comes off in strings? So hoping it will not be too brittle.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0938.JPG
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Here is a shot of the area where I work on knives. Note I am quite shy of tools and materials compared to the rest of the posters in this area.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0939.JPG
Dan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

::tu:: Looks pretty doggone good Dan ! Tell me about your stiddy.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Brumbydownunder

Looks great Dan, plenty of clear worktop and those draws bottom right give you some beaut storage but easy to access. ::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

thanks Greg and Brumby. I bought the stiddy from Dale (Orvet) at the OKCA show in 2016. I have just been getting around to using it the last month or so. Charlie (upnorth) knew the fellow who had made it and told me it was T1 steel. I don't think it was hardened and there are a few dings in the top surface. I finally found a local shop that is very good (or so my source tells me) at hardening steel. So, next week an old aquaintance, who is a machinist, is going to mill the top down flat for me and then I am going to take it in for hardening. Will post some pics once it is finished.
Dan
Dan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I took some pictures last year and the year before but I never posted them in here.
I thought some of you guys might like to see what I'm using and perhaps it will spark some ideas for you and how you can repurpose some things to use them in your shop. ::hmm::

The blue plastic contraption is called a Tool Kaddie they were made for the bicycle repair business. Apparently they stop making them and I picked these up at a yard sale for 10 bucks each I think. They really weren't made for knife repair but they are certainly handy to keep a lot of tools close at hand! ::nod::
Tool Kaddie a.jpg
Tool Kaddie b.jpg
Tool Kaddie c.jpg
Speaking of handy, I pick this up last November at the flea market, it’s probably the last time my workbench was clean too! I don’t know what this little cabinet was originally but it is great for packing a lot of tools and stuff in a very small area on my workbench! ::groove::
Workbench -clean Nov-16.jpg
New chest for tools a.jpg
New chest for tools b.jpg

This was my latest edition to the shop earlier this year; a Wen 10” wet grinder.
I had an 8” wet grinder that I got several years ago. The wheel was worn down so far the housing was getting in the way of the wheel when I was sharpening. This new one is 10” so I should get several more years than I got out of the first one.

I had trouble finding a new 8” wet stone for my old grinder and when I finally located one it was $120. About that time I saw the Wen 10” wet grinder on eBay for $139.16. For $20 more I got a 2 inch larger wheel and a brand-new motor. This one is even reversible, which the old one was not. I have used this new wheel a few times and I am becoming very fond of it! I think it is basically the same machine as the one Grizzly sells under its name also.

I like the fact that I can remove chips and next from blades without heating them up and causing harm to the heat treat of the steel. It’s also very good for sharpening tanto blades which are one of my favorite blades. ::ds::
Wen wet grinder 2017.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Interesting show, Dale. I always like looking at work areas and tools.
The little cabinet looks very handy and also the new wet grinder seems like a real upgrade. ::tu::
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I always enjoy seeing pics of your shop, Dale, good organization and lot's of tools and materials. Stuff I need a way more of.
Dan
Dan
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I got tired of bending punches, decided to make my own. I turned the shanks out of 3/8" brass rod, centerdrilled the correct size and use the shank of a dull or broken drill bit as the punch. Loctite it in place. If it breaks, throw a little heat on it, pluck the bad tip out and stick a new one in. The nice thing is you can make them in many precise sizes.
Attachments
007.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great idea Kaleb!
The ones I break most often are the 1/16" pin punches. I have about half a dozen 1/16" Craftsman pin punches so when I get two or three broken ones and I'm heading to the east side of town of take them along and stop by Sears and get some new ones. When Sears stops replacing them I will have to go to your system.
Excellent job of thinking outside the box! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Brumbydownunder

Good Tip MM ... one of those ... "why didn't I think of that?" I needed a punch like that over the weekend. Consider the idea "Borrowed". ::tu::

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”