A Good Example

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A Good Example

Post by btrwtr »

Elvis wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Are you going to weld and re-drill the pivot hole or will you just drill it slightly oversize to get rid of the out of round and use a larger pin?

Steady as she goes on this one. ::pray::
Steady as she goes is right. First I'll trace out the exact shape and size of the remaining intact piece of tang to give me a guide as I regrind and normally there is no problem with the hole. TIG welding uses a rod (in this case) that is about 1/16" and the guy that does my welding can add the needed metal without filling the hole. Its what he does for a living and he's gotten very good at it. My biggest concerns will likely be grinding the blade back to 1 or 2 thousandths less than the width of the backspring and making sure the backspring grinding is as seamless as possible. After that, it should be a straight-forward reassembly since we're using the original handle material.

If the hole were to see some added metal, I'd take a small Dremel attachment (after grinding to the correct width) and try to bring the hole back to match the other blade in the knife. I'm not a fan of enlarging the pin size except as a last resort. It is a good option that is nice to have as a fall-back should problems arise, but I try to save it if I can.
Have you or your welder ever used a heat absorption paste to keep the heat generated from the welding process from ruining the blade temper?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

btrwtr wrote:Have you or your welder ever used a heat absorption paste to keep the heat generated from the welding process from ruining the blade temper?
No. He clamps the piece in a large vise (jaws are each abour 2"x10") so that only the tang end or the tip of the backspring are showing. The vise seems to work well as a heat-sink for this purpose.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I've always referred to the small tabs of metal that develop as "ears".
Not sure if there is another term but that's what they look like to me so that is what I call them. Any other terms you use or suggestions to describe?

Wayne
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

btrwtr wrote:I've always referred to the small tabs of metal that develop as "ears".
Not sure if there is another term but that's what they look like to me so that is what I call them. Any other terms you use or suggestions to describe?

Wayne
I never thought about giving them a name, but "ears" is probably as fitting as any. I don't recall if I mentioned this or not, but I lay the blade with the "ear' down and trace the outline to use as a guide for regrinding after the welding is done.
Huck Finn

Post by Huck Finn »

:: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing: mass confusion; I'm a rocket scientest, Merry-go-rounds make me me feel nausea.
GClaxon

Post by GClaxon »

Excellent post!! I have blade tangs welded all the time for customers at my shop. The only way to save a knife when replacement blades can't be found, especially harder to find brands.
millern

Post by millern »

Great photos! Similarly,I have used a 90amp Harbor Freight wire feed welder to add a tiny spot of material to the tang of a leverlock switchblade to close the worn sear hole. I then re- file the hole “open” just enough to catch the sear. This can address the problem of worn switchblade knives when the tip of the blade “peeks” out of the handle when closed. Using a vice grip or bench vise seems to provide an adequate heat sink during the spot-welding. I have notice very little tang discoloration from heat.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Millern,
Usually that slight discoloration can be buffed out if you have a buffer and some buffing rouge.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This is a great old thread. How much fidgeting do you have to do to make a blade look like that. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”