Sometimes things just don't go right

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
#goldpan

Sometimes things just don't go right

Post by #goldpan »

I recently decided to get back into working on knives after a couple of years. My first attempt turned out just fine. So I decided to repair another Camillus 72. I had a pair of vintage jigged brown bone handles to work with.
A5A68CAE-C665-4028-A14D-5EE73B2B5C93L0001.jpg
Everything was good. All that was left was to reassemble the knife. Unfortunately I was a little cavalier about compressing the back springs. When I went to install the rocker pin I ruined to project when the hole on pile side wasn't lined up and I forced the pin through, or almost through and bent the scales and cracked the new bone handles that I made. At first I only noticed the small cracks below the rocker pin.
B086067A-8C8A-4532-A6CD-E851A676942EL0001.jpg
That did not bother me so I started over and the whole thing went together as it should. I decided a little Zap a Crack would stabilize everything and that would be that..... Then I looked at the handles through a jeweler's loop and saw that cracks had gone all the way through top to bottom. And to make matters worse the master blade rubbed so bad against the liner that it was hard to open and close. Bear in mind that I was in mock up, meaning that pins were in but not finished. That way I can check the blade function before finishing the bolster pins. Oh well.
F1C268A4-C6BA-4145-B6ED-7EAFF1E8BAA3L0001.jpg
I decided not to dwell on this and have shifted gears to work on one of my fixed blades.
8287BB82-540D-43C7-B48C-FD4D14550272L0001.jpg
61615943-DBFC-4841-87AC-BFBD80AC7A18L0001.jpg
I do have another 72 that I picked up for donor parts. When I'm ready I will use the secondary blades from the first 72 and the master from the second and start over. This time I am going to put some Manzanita wood on the 72 as well as the fixed blade. I used Manzanita on TL-29 mod many years ago and love the way it turned out.
7301D5A8-7269-4358-B691-F9ADAB0C609FL0001.jpg
1E05C16E-DE28-4DED-9459-DCA9A8F77D33L0001.jpg

I'll post the results of both knives when they are finished. For those new to knife repair this stuff happens and there is no point in getting too bothered by these accidents!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sometimes things just don't go right

Post by glennbad »

Glad to see you pushed through that other one. I used to let those types of things get to me, now I just set them aside until I'm ready to work on it again.

That's a handsome TL-29!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

glennbad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:49 am Glad to see you pushed through that other one. I used to let those types of things get to me, now I just set them aside until I'm ready to work on it again.

That's a handsome TL-29!
Thanks Glenn, the TL mod sports a wharncliffe mod to the screwdriver blade. Your mods a few years back inspired me. :D Using Manzanita for knife handles came about when a friend gave some to try. There is no finish on that one. Sanded it smooth and then buffed it with red buffing compound. The wood is dense and has a natural oil content. And the chips and left overs make a great fuel for the bar-b-que! Of course the 72 isn't the first knife that ever ruined so I know what you mean. I have chucked more than one across the room in the past. It's still frustrating but I've learned to deal it and learn from my mistakes. ::facepalm::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I think those fixed blades will give you much less of a headache. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet!

Don't let the bad projects get you down. Keep pushing onward!

Put that #72 away and come back to it later after a few more projects.

Enjoy working on knives! You will get there one day. Mistakes will be made along the way....but that is how you learn!

Keep up the good work!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

XX Case XX wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:23 pm I think those fixed blades will give you much less of a headache. ::nod::

Thanks Mike, I feel the same way. I have a bunch rust to knock off of my my knife mechanic skills. A small detour is just what the doctor ordered! After all its several years. But it will all come back to me!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:51 pm You have to break a few eggs to make an omelet!

Don't let the bad projects get you down. Keep pushing onward!

Put that #72 away and come back to it later after a few more projects.

Enjoy working on knives! You will get there one day. Mistakes will be made along the way....but that is how you learn!

Keep up the good work!

::tu::
Thanks Mike. The last 72 I did came out perfect. I was a bit taken aback by the fact that I let my focus slip on this one. But I love the pattern and I have a few more 72's on the bench waiting for new covers and some need new blades. Its been a long time since I tried to restore any knives. I know it will take a while to bring skills back up to par. But with the encouragement from everyone here my knife repair skills will come back. Thanks guys!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”