Oh my my Oh yes gonna put on my party dress

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
rexstubbins

Oh my my Oh yes gonna put on my party dress

Post by rexstubbins »

Most recent resto taking place right now. this is as far as I got today. And yes I went through that many razors just to realize i had to use a MUCH heftier blade. Finally worked but pissed off the family with all the noise. blub and wikipedia

edit - by the way the goal is to put some real stag in steed o the fake stag
Attachments
20170922_231909.jpg
20170922_224337.jpg
20170922_224403.jpg
20170922_224442.jpg
20170922_224455.jpg
20170922_230253.jpg
20170922_231408.jpg
20170922_231421.jpg
20170922_231432.jpg
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Oh my my Oh yes gonna put on my party dress

Post by jerryd6818 »

For next time.
Attachments
71jLRVh-HXL__SX355_.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I'm not a fan of Stag-a-lon and often wished they would put some real stag on those Uncle Henry's. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Hey Jerry - That's what I normally use but couldn't find them last night - had to improvise

Red - this ones actually a Kabar - I wish they would have used real stag on this one and the UH

I need to find a shield for this one too.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Rex thats going to look sweet! ::tu:: Cant wait to see how it turns out! ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

rexstubbins wrote:Hey Jerry - That's what I normally use but couldn't find them last night - had to improvise
And in the process, it appears you may have learned something. (or better yet, reinforced existing knowledge) :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Oooh, that's going to be a nice one. Can't wait to see it finished!
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Do you ever have one of those days where just about nothing goes right?

Started working a little on the Kabar resto. Jerry - Found the utility blades so that was one good thing.

Decided on using a shield from a Robeson cattle. Not too sad about using parts off the Robeson. Hardly no snap at all.

Broke a drill bit in the liner when trying to drill a hole for the shield.

Got mark side scale almost finished but then realized I didn't sand her real flat. I've read where stag can be bent by soaking in vinegar and then putting in vice. For now I just clamped it down to see if it will work. I'll try the vinegar later.

Ah - also found that the 1/8" nickel silver pin I thought I had is actually a tube so need to wait for a solid round.

Taking a break until next weekend. ::facepalm::
Attachments
20170924_105152.jpg
20170924_105119.jpg
20170924_105557.jpg
20170924_123925.jpg
20170924_131118.jpg
20170924_140229.jpg
20170924_140237.jpg
20170924_140257.jpg
20170924_140426.jpg
20170924_100123.jpg
Doug

Pocket Knife Art
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Good choice in walking away.

I can fight with the simplest task for an hour. Many times I make things worse just from struggling to finish what I know is simple.

Go home, and re visit the task in the morning, and it takes a few moments to finish.
Just the way it is. :roll:
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It looks like you're off to a good start, can't wait to see the finished product. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Was able to do some work on the Kabar.

Was able to flatten out the mark side scale just by clamping down and pouring water on it periodically for a week.

All in all pretty happy with it with the exception of remnants from the blue permanent marker that I used to mark the slabs. Learned from that one.
Attachments
20170924_140426.jpg
20171001_125329.jpg
20171001_134453.jpg
20171001_145746.jpg
20171001_145758.jpg
20171001_171153.jpg
20171001_171042.jpg
20171001_171058.jpg
20171001_171133.jpg
Doug

Pocket Knife Art
americanedgetech

I have to state that I am a fan of big, fat handles folders.
There is something about the feeling of control vs a more delicate thin handled knife that I just gravitate towards.

That said I like that knife. I would pick it up from a pile of knives as THE one to look at closer.
Nice work!

Ps... if your handle begins to warp as it dehydrates again... look more into the vinegar method. It works on bone by dissolving calcium that can be replaced with Crazy Glue.
I am not familiar on how or if the method works on antler material but it may be worth looking into.
Just sayin' :)
Ken Mc.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That's a well dressed Kabar now! It's looking good! ::tu::
americanedgetech wrote: Ps... if your handle begins to warp as it dehydrates again... look more into the vinegar method. It works on bone by dissolving calcium that can be replaced with Crazy Glue.
I have used white vinegar and water to straighten warped stag. According to a quick bit of research online antler is essentially bone so if your superglue method works to stabilize bone that has been decalcified by vinegar it should work for antler as well.
I will try it because I have some warped stag that came from the Henckel’s factory that has been drying out since approx 1960 or longer. I was successful in straightening some of it with the white vinegar and water method, but some of the worst pieces did warp again when they dried. I will try the white vinegar and then stabilizing it with CA.
Thanks for the info, I will put it to the test! ::nod::

I would stipulate however that when attaching the antler handles to the liners I always use epoxy and never a cyanoacrylate glue (superglue or CA glue). The reason is the bond formed by a cyanoacrylate glue is not flexible and it is easy to sheer. Dropping a knife that has the handle secured by cyanoacrylate glue can result in the bond between the liner and the handle being shared by the jarring caused when the knife hits a hard surface. That is also the reason I never use a CA adhesive to install a shield. For both handles and shields I use 5 minute epoxy because it is more flexible than 15 minute and 30 minute epoxy and is less likely to failed due to the shearing forces caused by impact.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

So I was trying to find a way to remove the blue ink from the scales. Rubbing alcohol didn't work so I decided that the stag handles would become burnt stag handles.

Turned out pretty good I think.
Attachments
20171015_111028.jpg
20171015_111036.jpg
20171015_111109.jpg
Doug

Pocket Knife Art
americanedgetech

PRETTY Good???
That is simply top shelf! You should be very pleased with that finish. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

rexstubbins

That Kabar looks GREAT!!! I bought one at a garage sale that had no handles on it at all. Will rehandle in rosewood. Havent got to the bone/stag proficiency level yet. Will get some pics when done.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Thanks Ken & Olde Cutler

Olde Cutler - Looking forward to seeing yours finished. I actually find it easier to work with bone. Always splitting wood when I work with it.
Doug

Pocket Knife Art
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wow, that came out great!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

rexstubbins
A photo of my recently finished KABAR folding hunter as you requested. I did not completely disassemble this one as it was good and tight, just rehandled in rosewood.Doesn't look bad for a $5 knife?
IMG_1715.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Great rehandle job, but you ruined it by burning that nice stag.
I never understood the "burning the stag" thing. It doesn't look natural and it damages the material.
If you want darker stag, dye it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Bill DeShivs wrote: I never understood the "burning the stag" thing. It doesn't look natural and it damages the material.
I have to agree with Bill on this, you did a real nice job of rehandling the knife, ::tu:: ::tu::
However, I have personally never been a fan of "torched" or "toasted" stag.
That's just my personal taste. I've tried it once or twice and didn't like how little control I had of the coloring and the lighter colored stag that I wanted to add more color to didn't take much color and the high spots turned dark. I like the control I have with potassium permanganate as I can apply it where I wanted and skip spots that I don’t want to color. It’s easy to apply with a little paintbrush, rag or Q-tip. The other thing I appreciate about it is that it doesn’t buff off. I can apply a coat or two of carnauba wax with a loose buff and it helped seal the stag and gives a little sheen to the handle.

It’s personal preference on the finish of the stag; I think everybody can agree you did a fine job of putting on the handle! ::nod:: ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Looks good Olde Cutler ::tu::

Bill & Dale - I can certainly appreciate that everyone has their own likes & dislikes regarding the burnt stag. The only reason that I did this was because I used blue permanent marker to rough trace the handles and I could not remove the blue with chemicals. My option was to burn it and hide the blue ink.

Although I personally like the look of it after I torched it. ::super_happy::
Doug

Pocket Knife Art
americanedgetech

I just bought two Parker (made in Japan) knives. One is burnt bone, and the other is BURNT bone. The BURNT bone one is charred too far, and kind of ugly so I plan to wheel down into it, and try to remove most of the overcooked part.
The other was heated slowly, and evenly, and is actually more attractive but it is also too far "cooked" on the stamp side.

I guess my point is it depends on How it was done. High heat, and overly charred is ugly but mellow heat, and even application can be quite nice.

Rex, I also like your results. Very distinct, and attractive.

Olde Cutler... Love it! ::tu::
You fellas make this look too rewarding to not want to re-handle an old beater.
Attachments
DSCN0293.jpg
DSCN0294.jpg
DSCN0285.jpg
DSCN0286.jpg
Ken Mc.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Doug,
I just want to be sure you understand I’m not being critical of your work (in a negative way), it’s just a matter of artistic preference with me. Your fit and finish was impeccable and that’s really the most difficult part.

As an alternate way of dealing with the blue marks, have you ever thought of accentuating them? Several years ago at an OKCA dinner I was talking to a custom maker who had the most remarkable blue highlights in his stag handle. It was actually quite stunning! I asked him if he would share with me how he got those blue highlights and he said he used a blue dye and then used a brown dye. The results he achieved were quite remarkable! I don’t know if you could’ve done that with the marks you were dealing with or not, but I think it’s always worthwhile to think out-of-the-box and sometimes the results are spectacular.

Occasionally I find myself in the same sort of situation where something I have done or something I have overlooked has taken the handle in a direction other than what I intended. Sometimes by thinking outside the box and emphasizing the mistake, I cannot only save the handle material but come up with a unique look in the process.
You used much the same process when you chose to torch the stag. You saved your work and your handle material and you obviously pleased a number of people in the process. In the bottom line is, that it doesn’t matter what I think or what Bill thinks, it only matters what the owner of the knife thanks. If the owner, or the buyer, of the knife is happy then it is a win-win for everyone! You can’t please everyone every time, but as long as your customer is happy you did your job!
Outstanding work! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

orvet wrote:Doug,
I just want to be sure you understand I’m not being critical of your work (in a negative way), it’s just a matter of artistic preference with me. Your fit and finish was impeccable and that’s really the most difficult part.

As an alternate way of dealing with the blue marks, have you ever thought of accentuating them? Several years ago at an OKCA dinner I was talking to a custom maker who had the most remarkable blue highlights in his stag handle. It was actually quite stunning! I asked him if he would share with me how he got those blue highlights and he said he used a blue dye and then used a brown dye. The results he achieved were quite remarkable! I don’t know if you could’ve done that with the marks you were dealing with or not, but I think it’s always worthwhile to think out-of-the-box and sometimes the results are spectacular.

Occasionally I find myself in the same sort of situation where something I have done or something I have overlooked has taken the handle in a direction other than what I intended. Sometimes by thinking outside the box and emphasizing the mistake, I cannot only save the handle material but come up with a unique look in the process.
You used much the same process when you chose to torch the stag. You saved your work and your handle material and you obviously pleased a number of people in the process. In the bottom line is, that it doesn’t matter what I think or what Bill thinks, it only matters what the owner of the knife thanks. If the owner, or the buyer, of the knife is happy then it is a win-win for everyone! You can’t please everyone every time, but as long as your customer is happy you did your job!
Outstanding work! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale - Don't worry - I didn't think that you were being critical at all - you are right - everyone has their own preference just like I don't like certain patterns or handle materials (barlows, warncliff, peanuts, micarta ::barf:: )

I would sure like to have seen the knife with the blue highlights. It may have influenced me to take a different direction.
Doug

Pocket Knife Art

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”