Leverlock “rescue”

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
millern

Leverlock “rescue”

Post by millern »

I recently purchased, what appeared to be a very rusty, “type I” Weltersbach shell puller leverlock. Since all of the parts were there, except the kickspring and the price was right, I bought the knife to attempt a repair.
Upon further inspection, besides the rust and the missing spring, The steel liners were also quite bent, so the stag would require removal to straighten them. (I forgot to take photos of that process.) I also discovered that the the front bolsters were cast from some type of “pot metal” and plated. Since the plating was mostly gone, they were even more brittle. The rear bolsters were hollow, but sturdier.
As I took the knife apart, the shell puller bolsters “fell apart”. I used JB Weld and some thin gauge metal to “laminate” them back together, hoping to preserve the “look” of the original knife.
The rest of the “take down” went without significant issue. I was also able to fabricate a new, working kickspring with a little careful filing and heat treating.
I had read that Weltersbach had used some labor and cost-saving measures in making their “for export” leverlock knives. (Hence, the use of cast bolsters on some models, instead of nickel silver. ) The steel liners on my knife terminate behind the cast metal shell puller “guards” create a weak point. (“Regular” Weltersbach leverlock knife liners extend all the way under the rounded front bolsters, I discovered. ) Anyway, my shell pullers snapped off clean, flush with the steel liners.
Disappointed but undaunted, I proceeded with reassembly. I had taken the time to use some of the advice about methods of addressing “blade peak” and was eventually rewarded with a well-functioning “ex-shellpuller” leverlock EDC.
I’m happy with the results, and should I choose, I believe I could fashion some nice nickel silver bolsters to replace the “reinforced pot-metal”. However, until the old bolsters “fail”, I’m not sure the extra effort is warranted, especially since the blade, while very “complete”, is pitted to the point that the only tang marks discernible are “Solingen Germany”.

Thanks to all who have contributed to Talkblade and AAPK regarding switchblade repair, especially Mr. Bill De Shivs! I’m a bit smarter every time I read the many posts!
Attachments
Knife, as purchased.
Knife, as purchased.
02FEA5A6-8EA8-4CD1-8D98-5202978D0FBC.jpeg
Disassembled knife. Straight piece of metal is the spring “blank”.
Disassembled knife. Straight piece of metal is the spring “blank”.
This photo shows one broken bolster and the formed spring.
This photo shows one broken bolster and the formed spring.
Photos of repaired knife after the shell puller guards broke off.
Photos of repaired knife after the shell puller guards broke off.
20B01C06-B3E6-4EE2-B516-889EA2823013.jpeg
E2B25724-9B80-4738-AD6F-0953421749F7.jpeg
AD389C90-F9C2-4598-8957-7043D94741B6.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Leverlock “rescue”

Post by doglegg »

Quite an undertaking but a great save.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Looks good! I have a German Springer with some blade peek, but have not tackled it yet. I hope that I can do half as well as you!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Amazing rescue! Well done! I would have been tempted to knock the rest of the plating off the bolsters with a wire wheel, but I'm glad that you didn't. I really like the way you preserved the original look of the knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's a great save. Auto work intimidates me, you have my respect!
Samb

Post by Samb »

glennbad wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:37 pm That's a great save. Auto work intimidates me, you have my respect!
Not really much more to an auto over a regular knife. Couple springs and a button. Go for it, you can do it!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”