Relics of beauty!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knife7knut

Re: Relics of beauty!

Post by knife7knut »

Here is one that I have owned for nearly 40 years.It came out of a collection of really old knives that a friend of mine had purchased for the military pieces and then sold off the rest. Several of the knives had this particular type of repair to the handles. On this particular knife it appears that the horn may have been eaten away by dermasid larvae (although I don't understand why the pile side handle remained unscathed)and whomever owned the knife had applied a type of cutler's cement to repair it.It isn't the characteristic color or cutler's cement(usually a reddish brown from the brick dust ingredient)but it looks to be the correct consistency.
Not sure of the exact age but I think it may be pre-1900.I base this on the characteristics of the knife:The color of the steel;the steel pivot pin(on an English knife this indicates early manufacture)the rope design on the bolsters and the way they are fused to the liners(the liners are tapered toward the front in thickness)and mostly the way the backs of the tangs are flush with the back springs.
Attachments
JonathanCrookesGunstock2018 001.jpg
JonathanCrookesGunstock2018 002.jpg
JonathanCrookesGunstock2018 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
BWT

Post by BWT »

That's a good looking ole knife, probably did a lot of traveling in it's life.
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful old keeper, Ray. ::tu::
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a couple of REALLY old knives that could be considered relics.
The first is a 2 blade(2nd blade is a small marlin spike)lockback that has as it's only marking the severed head of a pig and the word,"Barneria" stamped next to it.Research discovered that it is an old French marking that dates to the 1700's. I don't hink this one is that old but the pique work(the small silver pins) were a popular decoration on knife and razor handles for a relatively short period of time(circa 1840-1850) which sounds about right. The lock has to be manually pushed down for it to function and the repair to the handle with cutler's cement ar about par for a knife this old. An unusual feature is the steel front bolster and the brass rear one.
The second one is another of French origin: a figural knife of the Eiffel Tower made of pressed horn and nickel silver bolsters marked DEPOSE on the handle.Blade shows considerable wear.Likely a souvenir knife of the late 1800's.A chunk of one handle is missing and would be very difficult to repair successfully due to the design.
Attachments
Barneria.jpg
Depose1.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Wonderfully interesting knives K7K.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks for sharing those, really interesting!!!
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ray, your contributions are always a pleasure to see and read.
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
Here are a couple more that were obviously well cared for even though one has lost a blade and the other has a soft tang on one blade.
First is the Tobert Klaas Prussia serpentine whittler. It is in really great condition save for the fact that one of the small blades was broken off at the tang at some point in it's life.The var shield is engraved with the owner's name:L.E.Stocker. Mr. Stocker must have really liked this knife to have kept it around even after the blade broke.The unusual manicure blade is if I recall correctly a pre-1900 patent;possibly by Curley.
The second one is a fairly rare pattern known as an Orange Blossom.Not sure who coined that name or the reason behind it.This particular one is a Simmons Hardware model and looks to be in great condition. The only problem is one of the small blades has a worn tang allowing the blade to sit very proud.It is the one that isn't opened very far;that is where it now sits. The blades are full and the pearl in perfect condition. I am almost tempted to have one of our great knife mechanics on here repair it.Not an easy task and likely very expensive.
Attachments
RobertKlaasPrussiaSerpentineWhittler2018 001.jpg
RobertKlaasPrussiaSerpentineWhittler2018 002.jpg
SimmonsHardwareOrangeBlossom2018 001.jpg
SimmonsHardwareOrangeBlossom2018 002.jpg
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice, especially the orange blossom, still good looking knives. I have several that I bought just because I thought someone might trash them.
Bill
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Josh, as Mel and Joe already said, thanks for bringing this thread back to life with your old beauty. Joe and Ray, great showings of beautiful old beaters. Too bad about the bad blade on the orange blossom. I have two orange blossoms and both of them have one lazy pen blade.
Dan
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dan, I'm sorry to hear about the lazy pen blades in the Orange Blossom.
I have two as well and haven't had them for too long but had to check them. A Robeson and a Remington and they are snappy.
Thank the good Lord ......... and Robeson and Remington.
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is another one in relic condition that I attempted to make useable today. Carrier Cutlery Co Elmira NY Wharncliffe pattern.The master blade had been unmercifully sharpened to the point it stood VERY proud when closed. The pen blade had been broken off at the tang long before I got it.
Radically re-shaped the blade and ground off the kick almost completely to get the blade back inside the knife.Ground the rest of the pen blade off flush with the liners and now I have a somewhat serviceable knife.
EDIT:Here is what it looked like before I started.
Attachments
CarrierCutleryElmiraNYWharncliffe 001.jpg
CarrierCutleryElmiraNYWharncliffe 002.jpg
CarrierCutleryFarmersJack1.JPG
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Joe - I really like that old Schrade Farmer Jack and the Holley whittler.

K7K I applaud your effort to bring that old knife back into a usable condition. Very nice photos.

Here is a relic that is not nearly as old as a some of the ones here. He handles have shrunk a bit so I guess it dates to just before Schrade started using Delrin.
Attachments
Schrade
Schrade
Mel
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Mel.
I need to do what Knife7Knut (Ray) did to his Carrier Cutlery Co. Wharncliffe. Radically reshape the blade on that MOP Holley
and get rid of some of the kick to get the blade down in the well.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

So I said to myself, "how long could it take"?

I ran a No. 2 coarse file down through the kick and the tang to get the blade to lay down. There was very little spring action
left on that blade anyway so I didn't lose much in the way of spring action. I did lose some. But it lays down the best I could get it.
The two pen blades are snappy and I've got a new packer. A Holley with big MOP. 3 3/4" closed.

First picture: before file.
Attachments
DSCN9830.JPG
DSCN9837.JPG
DSCN9842.JPG
DSCN9845.JPG
DSCN9847.JPG
DSCN9849.JPG
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice job Joe! And a beautiful looking knife! I used a 1x30 belt sander to rough out the blade and kick and I am still working on it with a couple of pattern files.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Ray.
I hope yours comes out the way you want it. ::tu::
Joe
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

This knife is the epitome of relic status for me. It's an old Union Razor Co jack that someone manually removed a broken pen blade and added a new large head steel pivot. The layers have rolled in, over the years but it's still solid has a firm half and full stop great snap in all positions. The shield is canted to line up with the worm groove. It's just a really cool knife that would fall under the relic category.
Attachments
20180107_143654.jpg
20180107_143741.jpg
20180107_143845.jpg
20180107_143904.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice one, Pile Driver.
Union Razor Co., Tidioute, Pa. 1902-1909.
Yep, they nailed that one.

Here's a Case Congress, 64052. Both masters marked case xx.
Liners and bolsters, nickel silver.
Attachments
DSCN9863.JPG
DSCN9865.JPG
DSCN9867.JPG
DSCN9869.JPG
DSCN9871.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old Holley dirk. 4 3/4" closed.
Attachments
DSCN9966.JPG
DSCN9968.JPG
DSCN9971.JPG
Joe
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

A well loved Ulster Barlow. I still like to use it. Spring are a little weak but it takes a good sharp edge.
Attachments
IMG_8631.JPG
David
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a nice old relic there, David. ::tu::
Joe
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Thank you Joe.
David
KAW

Post by KAW »

Stumbled over this thread and thought I have just the kind of knife to post here... ::nod::
... a Wardlow Cutlery Co. / Walden NY jack. Don't know much about this one... altho I have read on this board that they were etched with "Chip Away" on their blades which was a trademark used by E.C.Simmons.

Definitely this one has seen some hard times and I usually stay away from such worn out knives but the mystery as well as someone bothering to sharpen the secondary blade right down to the nail nick really intrigued me.
10907 10906 10908
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice old knife Ken ::tu::
Bill

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”