English Jacks show yours

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
chickenman62

Re: English Jacks show yours

Post by chickenman62 »

OmegaWerks Solingen
IMG_0628.jpg
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Chickenman62:

It looks like a workman-like knife to me, a good user.

But here I go again, as for it being an English Jack: I consider authoritative sources such as LEVINE’S GUIDE on what constitutes a particular knife pattern; thus, I do not see this one as meeting the English Jack criteria. It lacks the degree of finish one expects, such as having a top bolster, an endcap, and shield.

As for the handle die, I cannot tell if the photo has distorted the appearance of what should be in an English jack's tapered straights sides, or if the handle is something more curved than a Regular or Sleeve-board profile.

Regardless of handle shape, it seems a stretch to call a large shadow knife an English jack.
chickenman62

Post by chickenman62 »

I guess one of these days I'll figure this out. At least you are teaching me something. Thanks Stumpstalker.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Been doing a long awaited catalog of my entire collection and started on the Robesons today. Probably posted this before but I had it out so here it is. It's a big old boy, 8 inches open. Pattern # 622151. Stamped ROBESON SHUREDGE in block print. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5160.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sweet big ole knife J O.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks DL O'.
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

That Robeson is a nicely proportioned English jack: 4-1/2-inches closed; sleeve-board handle die; full spear blade; long-range pen blade that reaches 2/3rds of the way back to the end cap. Very pleasing to the eye.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Stump. It's a sleeper. Kinda wish it were bone, but it's a cool piece. J.O'.
JCup

Post by JCup »

My neighbor gave me this beauty, I had seen it at his home laying on a counter. It was very dirty and rusty, would barely open. I offered to clean it up, and when I brought it back he told me to keep it. He said it belonged to his uncle, and he had kept it in an old toolbox for years - that probably dates it to early 20th century. Reference to "His Majesty" could mean two different King Georges. After some rag scrubbing, burnishing, oiling, and a few passes on my Spyderco Sharpmaker, this knife has an amazing edge, and it walks and talks. I've actually been carrying it lately. Wish I could confirm the age, but this pattern was in production a long time. Brass liners may be a later feature. I had never known anything about Joseph Rodgers, but they were apparently one of the best makers in Sheffield.
Attachments
JosRodgers1.jpg
JosRodgers2.jpg
JosRodgers3.jpg
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Oh what a kind neighbor, looks like your hard work paid off. That’s some excellent looking stag 👌
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

That knife has so many great features it puts it among the worlds's most unlikely knives to ever be GIVEN away.

And I do not expect to hear anyone say that there was a better knife maker in Sheffield.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Boentgen & Sabin 1867-1983 'Bonsa" German big Jack. 4-1/4" closed, just shy of 8" open. I like the foot and soccer ball on the pile side tang. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5231.jpg
IMG_5232.jpg
IMG_5233.jpg
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

That’s a nice English jack J.O’. Looks like the blade is pretty full, the bone has lots of character and that tang stamp is pretty cool. Great pickup
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thank fishin' J.O'.
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

That's a nice German-made English Jack, and in high condition. The pen blade shows distinct glaze finish.

I see that Goins lists both BONSA and BONZER as German knives, but with different time-frames. Nothing further is said about any relationship between them.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Here's one I just bought at the Show yesterday (Voyles)and sold today.Clipper Knife Companies.
Attachments
20230318_100446.jpg
20230318_100458.jpg
20230318_100507.jpg
Roger
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

peanut740 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:27 pm Here's one I just bought at the Show yesterday (Voyles)and soldtoday.Clipper Knife Companies.
Great looking knife, love pick bone with a bare end.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

JCup wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:32 pm My neighbor gave me this beauty, I had seen it at his home laying on a counter. It was very dirty and rusty, would barely open. I offered to clean it up, and when I brought it back he told me to keep it. He said it belonged to his uncle, and he had kept it in an old toolbox for years - that probably dates it to early 20th century. Reference to "His Majesty" could mean two different King Georges. After some rag scrubbing, burnishing, oiling, and a few passes on my Spyderco Sharpmaker, this knife has an amazing edge, and it walks and talks. I've actually been carrying it lately. Wish I could confirm the age, but this pattern was in production a long time. Brass liners may be a later feature. I had never known anything about Joseph Rodgers, but they were apparently one of the best makers in Sheffield.
Nice score, kudos on the clean up and congrats on a beeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee addition. ::tu:: ::tu::

peanut740 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:27 pm Here's one I just bought at the Show yesterday (Voyles)and sold today.Clipper Knife Companies.

Beautiful bones and jigging, that's gorgeous. Nice show. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

peanut740 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:27 pm Here's one I just bought at the Show yesterday (Voyles)and sold today.Clipper Knife Companies.
What an amazing find, that pick bone and Washington bolsters are stunning. Did I read this right that you sold it, someone got a gem.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Great thread, enjoyed surfing through. Not vintage, but this is the current iteration of English Jack GEC is doing. Beavertail with jigged Brazilian Cherry wood.
Attachments
20230604_193452.jpg
20230604_193331.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

New but still a good one Ivoryman 👍👍
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Here’s another new one with the Washington bolsters in smooth camel bone
C158C132-8B29-4E66-B041-FDF3ED262901.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Stunning knife, wow do I love good camel bone like that stuff. Congrats, that is a prize. Thanks for the compliment too. ::tu:: ::tu:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

fishin1635 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:26 pm Here’s another new one with the Washington bolsters in smooth camel bone C158C132-8B29-4E66-B041-FDF3ED262901.jpeg
Beautiful! I do love the cloud shield.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Thank you Ivoryman and David for the compliments. I too, like the cloud shields edge. The camel bone on this run reminds me a lot of the giraffe bone.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”