Knives you pulled out "Just Because"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
woodwalker

Re: Knives you pulled out "Just Because"

Post by woodwalker »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:55 pm I totally agree WW, those covers look very "warm"! ::tu:: 8)
Thank you sir! ::handshake:: :) they really are!
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

XX era Case barlow. I like the forward position of the main blade nail nick on this one. Obviously has some blade loss, but still snappy and solid.
Attachments
20221211_110137.jpg
20221211_110048.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

313 Mike wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 pm XX era Case barlow. I like the forward position of the main blade nail nick on this one. Obviously has some blade loss, but still snappy and solid.
Nice Mike. Like the color on those old Case Barlows. I have a 1975 like that! Thanks for showing yours. :)
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Great photo as well!! :)
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I like that old barlow Mike ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks GD and Woodswalker, those old Case barlows have such a classic look and feel to them, really good knives. I appreciate your comments.
Mike

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

313 Mike wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:31 pm XX era Case barlow. I like the forward position of the main blade nail nick on this one. Obviously has some blade loss, but still snappy and solid.
Great bones, great pics. Reminds me of a couple of mine from that era, many decades of character built in. Case isn't making bone like that anymore. I like the old steel they used too, seems different from the steel they use today in my mind. Good pose too.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

This Case large toothpick in walnut bone lives in my kitchen knife drawer, for use on steaks and such.
Attachments
20221224_131958.jpg
Mike

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

313 Mike wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:25 pm This Case large toothpick in walnut bone lives in my kitchen knife drawer, for use on steaks and such.
Merry Christmas Mike .
That’s a pretty darn fancy Steak knife . Very nice !
Switching up the Kershaw auto for this old Camillus that came from Roger C s Stash ! This is a favorite for many reasons . It’s one of the oldest in the pile and it is solid . Dates black to very early 1900 s . So sliding it in the pocket , just because I can !
Attachments
C2C6C74F-5EB7-46A2-AAE3-89974374AD65.jpeg
JP
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Ripster wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:44 pm
313 Mike wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:25 pm This Case large toothpick in walnut bone lives in my kitchen knife drawer, for use on steaks and such.
Merry Christmas Mike .
Switching up the Kershaw auto for this old Camillus that came from Roger C s Stash ! This is a favorite for many reasons . It’s one of the oldest in the pile and it is solid . Dates black to very early 1900 s . So sliding it in the pocket , just because I can !
Thanks JP. That's a mighty fine looking Camillus you have there. Beautiful bone, like the swedge and forward nail nick on the main. Frame kinda looks like a mini trapper. Great shape for being so old too!
Merry Christmas to you as well.
Mike

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Ripster wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:44 pm
Merry Christmas Mike .
Gorgeous. Looks like at least 50 times prettier than a Kershaw auto. IMHO. :mrgreen: ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

I pull out this Robeson Shutedge Hobo out today to lightly oil it. Charlie says about 1916. It's got some scars but I still like it. :)
Attachments
20221225_203813.jpg
20221225_203836.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

That's a heckuva hobo there woodswalker! Love how big the spoon is. I could see eating a big bowl of stew with that. Thanks for posting it.
Mike

woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

313 Mike wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:56 am That's a heckuva hobo there woodswalker! Love how big the spoon is. I could see eating a big bowl of stew with that. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks Mike!! Nickel silver spoon. Have a great rest of your Christmas!! ::handshake:: :)
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I keep two knives on my desk that don't get used, just looked at and admired. I own lots of Stockman pattern pocketknives (over 100) of many brands, this Fight'N'Rooster is the nicest I own, it stays in its box but I open it regularly to enjoy handling it. The Buck 112 Ranger is a Four-Dot that I found in mint used condition last summer. I have four or more Rangers (more depends on how you count the 422) but this one is pristine and I just like the action, tight as a bank vault. OH
Attachments
Fight'n Rooster Stockman Green Pick Bone.jpg
Buck 112 Four-dot with belt-sheath 7-12-22.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
gordonjohn

Post by gordonjohn »

What a great bunch of knives I wish I had only half of them. Woodwalker that is a beautiful HoBo knife one of my favorite knives . ::ds:: ::groove::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

gordonjohn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:40 pm What a great bunch of knives I wish I had only half of them. Woodwalker that is a beautiful HoBo knife one of my favorite knives . ::ds:: ::groove::
Thank you sir!! I appreciate your comment!! ::handshake:: :)
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Dang, OH, thar Fightin' Rooster is really nice. The bone is such a cool color, deep dark green, and that shield is really unique, I can see why it's a favorite!
Mike

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Mike!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I was stashing Christmas decorations back up in the attic today, and I have a toolbox up there with some fixed blades that don't see much use. This old Kutmaster lives up there. Pulled it out for a few pics just because.
Attachments
20230107_122354.jpg
20230107_122334.jpg
20230107_122317.jpg
Mike

woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

313 Mike wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:34 pm I was stashing Christmas decorations back up in the attic today, and I have a toolbox up there with some fixed blades that don't see much use. This old Kutmaster lives up there. Pulled it out for a few pics just because.
Nice fixed blade Mike!! Great etch on that blade! Thanks for showing it!! :)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Made of dendritic steel, it can't rust.
Attachments
001.JPG
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks Woodwalker. QS I have never heard of dendritic steel, just looked it up and read a bit about it, very interesting. Have you carried and used the knife at all? How did it perform? Cool looking knife either way, thanks for posting it. I learned something new first thing in the morning today.
Mike

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mike, Developed by David Boye Dendritic steel is an alloy of cobalt and steel. It is famous for its sharpness and edge-holding ability.

I do carry and use my knife from time to time and it has always performed well. But I have never done any prolonged testing or put the blade to severe use.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

313 Mike wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:00 am Here's another one I pull out from time to time, just to ponder its history. It is obviously quite old, but has no markings of any kind to give a hint as to who the maker may have been.
Has a solid half stop, no blade play, and snaps like a bear trap. I often wonder about its orgins, but will likely never know. ::hmm::
Mike do you think it is home made? Mail pull, and tang made me think possibly home made.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”