Stunning!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Stunning!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not every day that we get an opportunity to see a work of art like this, (The price is a stunner too! :lol: ) https://www.ebay.com/itm/402837599848?h ... SwYtNgmYuy

Seller says the knife is mint - it’s clearly not. But it is a rare beauty and considering the age it’s in great condition. Pack a lunch if you want to read the description.

Ken
Attachments
8E381B8A-2F3C-4C5D-A086-E7ABFA959E84.jpeg
8E381B8A-2F3C-4C5D-A086-E7ABFA959E84.jpeg (69.32 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
368B004B-63CF-4C61-8964-B33E734A2316.jpeg
368B004B-63CF-4C61-8964-B33E734A2316.jpeg (31.46 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
2BAC70C5-F441-4858-BD5C-AD94358B4474.jpeg
2BAC70C5-F441-4858-BD5C-AD94358B4474.jpeg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Stunning!

Post by herbva »

Without a doubt, that is the longest ebay description I have ever seen. ( No, I couldn't force myself to read all of it.) I couldn't help wondering why, with such a valuable and beautiful antique, the seller didn't get the missing chunk of ivory in the next to last picture repaired (pile side, on the end with 2 blades)? ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

You’re right on all accounts. It is an absolutely stunning knife, and that is the most long winded description I’ve ever seen.

I have no idea what a knife like that is worth, or even how you’d appraise it. But, I’m sure we’d all love to have one like it in the collection. I know I would.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The seller repeats himself many times in the ridiculously long description. Is this seller known in the knife collecting community ?
And, what is the "New England Treasure Trove Collection" ?
The missing piece of ivory on the back side definitely affects value even though seller barely mentions it.
Very hard to know actual market value with a knife this unique and rare.
kj
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Yep, this seller is usually very long winded and half of what he says has nothing to do with the knife for sale. He often has spectacular knives for sale at exorbitant prices but if one goes to "sold listings" you never see the knives. He sells a lot of cool stuff for sure but only his "cheaper" knives seem to sell on the bay, maybe he sells elsewhere. I could not find the closed length in his description yet he is a knife guy and knows that is important to collectors. I have seen ivory lock back fancy early Sheffield whittlers sell for between $1500 and $3,000, he is just asking too much. Of course, that is his prerogative.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Good luck getting 8 grand for that broken junk. Missing piece, crack all the way across on the other side, and lots of superfluous rambling in that description. Usually you don't get enough info. This one is toooooo muuuuuuuuuuuch, get serious, get an editor. And get real on the price.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

It's neat, but for that price...I'd rather buy a couple of trucks. That ridiculously long description is made even worse with the text and background. Very hard on the eyes and unpleasant to read.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I checked some of the other items he has for sale and he does have quite a few older knives for sale.One thing I noticed is he advertises a folding saw as a knife which I am sure is pretty difficult to mistake.I grew up in New England and never heard of this so-called,"Treasure Trove" Sounds like a Yuppie run upscale antique store.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Beautiful knife but the crack and missing chunk of ivory are big minuses in my book. Rediculous ramble that is half the value if you like paying for the story instead of the knife. Mint? Uncarried??????????
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Biggest crock I have seen. If the knife is as old as he says it is, how can he say or would he know it has never been carried?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Not a mint knife.

Like it has been said previously the description is superfluous. Also, if you really
wanted someone to read all that why would you use that pegboard background in your
“essay”. I bet he would take a lower price if asked. I am not interested though.

Bob
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This whittler has 2 springs. The original old whittler construction had one spring that was split down the middle for about 2/3's of it's length.
I had thought that this 'split spring' construction was used until after 1850. So is this a very early example of using 2 separate springs ? Or is this knife not as old as 1830 ?
There are a few collectors in Britain who specialize in collecting the very old 'exhibition' grade Sheffield knives and know the full provenance of many of these knives. Hence when this knife was made might be known. The rest of us can only guess.
I doubt this seller is one who actually knows when this knife was made.
kj
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

That is a fantastic knife, but I do get fed up with the way the word "mint" is thrown around on Ebay and other forums. That one is clearly not "mint". I usually just use the term "near mint", and do this... :wink:
IMG_1694 (2).JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

toomanyknives wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:40 pm That is a fantastic knife, but I do get fed up with the way the word "mint" is thrown around on Ebay and other forums. That one is clearly not "mint". I usually just use the term "near mint", and do this... :wink: IMG_1694 (2).JPG
Love it!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Reverand wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:30 am
toomanyknives wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:40 pm That is a fantastic knife, but I do get fed up with the way the word "mint" is thrown around on Ebay and other forums. That one is clearly not "mint". I usually just use the term "near mint", and do this... :wink: IMG_1694 (2).JPG
Love it!
Thanks Reverand! That is what my wife calls a "Dad joke"... :D
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Re’ the Treasure Trove expression.

The Ebay seller that has been selling Robeson knives from the Tom Kalcevic collection, uses a similar, if not identical expression.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

LOL! ::rotflol:: You crack me up Kerry! Excellent wit! Thx for the chuckle! 8)
8)
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:15 pm
LOL! ::rotflol:: You crack me up Kerry! Excellent wit! Thx for the chuckle! 8)
Thanks Marco! I'll be here all week! Ba dum bum!
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

That treasurer trove of high-condition, vintage knives, we know is out there.
Attachments
treasure.trove.2.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”