THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by Waukonda »

knife7knut wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:25 am
Waukonda wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:14 am Absolutely beautiful knives, Skip! Very nice collection, I like the agricultural related the best.

In regards to the Travelers knife, I think there are similar versions from different makers. Dan (Old Folder) posted one about a year ago from Meriden Cutlery, and in his post mentioned a similar one from L F & C. I have seen one of those. No matter the maker,
a train knife is cool!
Sadly both blades were broken when I got it.Couldn't let it get tossed though.
No, you can't toss a train knife. It does have a Peres look about it.
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:14 am Absolutely.....
Thank you Ike.🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A bit off topic but here is some other stuff by W&H
Attachments
EagleScraper1.jpg
EagleScraper3.jpg
W&HCo.NewarkNJAdvertising 001.jpg
W&HCo.NewarkNJAdvertising 002.jpg
W&HCo.NewarkNJAdvertising 004.jpg
W&HCo.NewarkNJAdvertising 005.jpg
W&HCo.NewarkNJAdvertising 006.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Here are the group pictures, fronts and backs, of my
"W & H" fob/pocket knives that I posted on page #1.
They are in the same position in both pictures.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today I'm adding this "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade fob/pocket knife to my collection. This is the second fob/pocket knife advertising this particular company, "ABSORENE MFG CO.", that I've obtained. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
wlf

Post by wlf »

Congratulations Skip, it’s nice to focus , I do :) .

Ray, a catalog of your collection would be like the encyclopedia Britannica. ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

wlf wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:41 am Congratulations.....
Thank you Lyle.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning I'm adding this "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade fob/pocket knife to my collection. This is the second fob/pocket knife advertising this particular company, "THE SMITH AGRICULTURAL CHEMICAL CO.", that I've obtained. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

The very recently acquired items pictured below, provide either a possible "answer" to, or create ANOTHER question regarding the manufacturers of the pocket knives for The Whitehead & Hoag Company. The item pictured first, is an ad that I bought. It's for a free pocket knife from The Whitehead & Hoag Company. It's from the February 15, 1923 issue of "PRINTERS' INK." The lettering on the tang stamp, W & H in the ad, appears to be in block form. It isn't the curved lettering tang stamp that is shown on ALL the pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread. The block form tang stamp, along with the distinct pattern of the pocket knife itself, suggests, at least to me, that a different knife manufacturer was used for this pattern of fob/key ring style of pocket knife, than was used to manufacture the previously posted pocket knives. The rest of the pictures are of a ROBESON - ShurEdge - U.S.A., fob/key ring pattern pocket knife. It measures just a hair over 3" closed. This pocket knife is almost identical to the one illustrated in the ad. The pattern/style is the same, but the company being advertised and the tang stamp are different. Does this prove 100% that ROBESON was one of the pocket knife manufacturers for The Whitehead & Hoag Company? I still don't know for sure, but it appears that they were involved. The ad is in GREAT condition. The pocket knife needed cleaning. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is/here they are. The company advertised on the actual pocket knife, "THE BANNER BUGGY CO., ST. LOUIS", existed from 1880 to 1921. There is a TON of very interesting information, on-line, about the company advertised on the pocket knife. There are also many, very interesting images.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm The very recently acquired items pictured below, provide either a possible "answer" to, or create ANOTHER question regarding the manufacturers of the pocket knives for The Whitehead & Hoag Company. The item pictured first, is an ad that I bought. It's for a free pocket knife from The Whitehead & Hoag Company. It's from the February 15, 1923 issue of "PRINTERS' INK." The lettering on the tang stamp, W & H in the ad, appears to be in block form. It isn't the curved lettering tang stamp that is shown on ALL the pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread. The block form tang stamp, along with the distinct pattern of the pocket knife itself, suggests, at least to me, that a different knife manufacturer was used for this pattern of fob/key ring style of pocket knife, than was used to manufacture the previously posted pocket knives. The rest of the pictures are of a ROBESON - ShurEdge - U.S.A., fob/key ring pattern pocket knife. It measures just a hair over 3" closed. This pocket knife is almost identical to the one illustrated in the ad. The pattern/style is the same, but the company being advertised and the tang stamp are different. Does this prove 100% that ROBESON was one of the pocket knife manufacturers for The Whitehead & Hoag Company? I still don't know for sure, but it appears that they were involved. The ad is in GREAT condition. The pocket knife needed cleaning. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is/here they are. The company advertised on the actual pocket knife, "THE BANNER BUGGY CO., ST. LOUIS", existed from 1880 to 1921. There is a TON of very interesting information, on-line, about the company advertised on the pocket knife. There are also many, very interesting images.
Interesting thread Skip. ::tu::
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:59 am Interesting.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This very recently acquired pocket knife, pictured below, provides yet another possible "answer" to, or creates, yet ANOTHER question regarding the manufacturers of the advertising pocket knives for The Whitehead & Hoag Company. The pocket knife pictured below is a "THE W.&H.CO - NEWARK,N.J.", 2 blade, single spring, 2 tang stamps pocket knife. It measures 3 5/16" closed. It advertises "UNIVERSAL SAFETY - BEST SAFETY RECORD AWARD 1929" on one scale. The other scale has "LEHIGH STRUCTURAL STEEL COMPANY" on it. The two tang stamps on this particular pocket knife are the curved lettering tang stamps that are shown on ALL of the SINGLE BLADE pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread, EXCEPT FOR THE ROBESON. HOWEVER, there is ONE SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE, there is NO "USA" in the middle of either tang stamp. These different tang stamps, along with the distinctly different pattern/style of the pocket knife itself, suggests, at least to me, that a different knife manufacturer was used for this pattern of pocket knife, than was used to manufacture the previously posted pocket knives. This pocket knife needed a little cleaning. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is. The last picture, for comparison, is of the tang stamp that is on ALL the SINGLE BLADE fob/pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread. BUT NOT THE ROBESON fob/key ring pocket knife that is pictured a few posts above this one.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
No USA In Middle Of Tang Stamp.
USA In Middle Of Tang Stamp.

Skip
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm The very recently acquired items pictured below, provide either a possible "answer" to, or create ANOTHER question regarding the manufacturers of the pocket knives for The Whitehead & Hoag Company. The item pictured first, is an ad that I bought. It's for a free pocket knife from The Whitehead & Hoag Company. It's from the February 15, 1923 issue of "PRINTERS' INK." The lettering on the tang stamp, W & H in the ad, appears to be in block form. It isn't the curved lettering tang stamp that is shown on ALL the pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread. The block form tang stamp, along with the distinct pattern of the pocket knife itself, suggests, at least to me, that a different knife manufacturer was used for this pattern of fob/key ring style of pocket knife, than was used to manufacture the previously posted pocket knives. The rest of the pictures are of a ROBESON - ShurEdge - U.S.A., fob/key ring pattern pocket knife. It measures just a hair over 3" closed. This pocket knife is almost identical to the one illustrated in the ad. The pattern/style is the same, but the company being advertised and the tang stamp are different. Does this prove 100% that ROBESON was one of the pocket knife manufacturers for The Whitehead & Hoag Company? I still don't know for sure, but it appears that they were involved. The ad is in GREAT condition. The pocket knife needed cleaning. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is/here they are. The company advertised on the actual pocket knife, "THE BANNER BUGGY CO., ST. LOUIS", existed from 1880 to 1921. There is a TON of very interesting information, on-line, about the company advertised on the pocket knife. There are also many, very interesting images.
Thank you so much for posting that! I have one of those knives pictured in the ad but it has no tang stamp whatsoever. I've always wondered who manufactured it. Mine is stamped,"Marietta Torpedo Co." When I researched that name I came up with a company that specialized in creating,"torpedoes" which were made from large quantities of nitroglycerin that were used to extinguish oil well fires. Here is a picture of the knife.
Attachments
MariettaTorpedoCo1.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

knife7knut wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 pm Thank.....
That is an interesting company advertised on your fob/key chain pocket knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you for posting it. ::tu:: I'm wondering if that blade is original to the handle?
Something about it just doesn't look quite right.
Oh well..... ::shrug::

Skip
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 pm
knife7knut wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 pm Thank.....
That is an interesting company advertised on your fob/key chain pocket knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you for posting it. ::tu:: I'm wondering if that blade is original to the handle?
Something about it just doesn't look quite right.
Oh well..... ::shrug::
It doesn't appear to have ever been tampered with.I noticed the differences;re:the long pull versus the nail nick. I examined it pretty closely for evidence of a tang stamp and there was none.I guess it will remain a mystery for awhile longer.....
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This eBay auction ended without a sale.
The item has not been relisted (as of this posting). I'm posting this strictly for future reference.
This is not my pocket knife. These are the seller's pictures and they have not been edited.

The auction was for a ROBESON - ShurEdge - U.S.A., fob/key ring pattern pocket knife.
It is identical to the ROBESON that was posted on the previous page.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (31.41 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 2694 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, I acquired the pocket knife pictured below. It is a "THE W.&H.CO - NEWARK,N.J.", 2 blade (1 is broken), single spring, 2 tang stamps pocket knife. It measures 3 1/8" closed. It advertises "CHICAGO PNEUMATIC TOOL COMPANY" on both sides. The two tang stamps on this particular pocket knife are the curved lettering tang stamps that are shown on ALL of the SINGLE BLADE pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread, EXCEPT FOR THE ROBESON. But, unlike the other tang stamps, there is NO "USA" in the middle of either of these two tang stamps. So, what knife company made this pocket knife? I have no idea, but I'm leaning towards ROBESON. This pocket knife needed cleaning. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is. The last picture, for comparison, is of the tang stamp that is on ALL the SINGLE BLADE fob/pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread, BUT NOT THE ROBESON.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:49 pm Very recently, I acquired the pocket knife pictured below. It is a "THE W.&H.CO - NEWARK,N.J.", 2 blade (1 is broken), single spring, 2 tang stamps pocket knife. It measures 3 1/8" closed. It advertises "CHICAGO PNEUMATIC TOOL COMPANY" on both sides. The two tang stamps on this particular pocket knife are the curved lettering tang stamps that are shown on ALL of the SINGLE BLADE pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread, EXCEPT FOR THE ROBESON. But, unlike the other tang stamps, there is NO "USA" in the middle of either of these two tang stamps. So, what knife company made this pocket knife? I have no idea, but I'm leaning towards ROBESON. This pocket knife needed cleaning. I cleaned it, took some pictures and here it is. The last picture, for comparison, is of the tang stamp that is on ALL the SINGLE BLADE fob/pocket knives that were previously posted in this topic/thread, BUT NOT THE ROBESON.
Very cool knife Skip. Also neat it is a Promo Knife for one of the oldest Pneumatic tool companies in the U.S. I've had a lot of experience with a lot of different CP products. They produce not only pneumatic tools, but a variety of equipment. Air compressors, Industrial generators, tools and drill bits all the way up to those used for oil drilling. They had many contracts with the government for supplying a big variety of equipment. A lot of our impact wrenches and air drills were Chicago Pneumatic. I believe they have been in business for about 120 years now.

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:54 pm Very.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻
I used many pneumatic tools during my career with Ma Bell.
I don't remember what company manufactured them,
could've been Chicago. ::shrug::
Thanks again for the historical info.
::handshake::

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I know that I already posted the following and then deleted it. Long story......
The title of the ad is just slightly wrong. It DOES have the curved "W & H" tang
stamp. Anyway, this sale has ended. But it wasn't sold to me. I'm posting the
following items for future reference. The pocket knife is not mine. The pictures
are the seller's and have NOT been edited or altered in any fashion.
Click on the first picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (8.75 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.02 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today I added this, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade fob/pocket knife to my collection. This is the second fob/pocket knife advertising this particular company, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO.", that I've obtained. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:20 pm Today I added this, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade fob/pocket knife to my collection. This is the second fob/pocket knife advertising this particular company, "THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO.", that I've obtained. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is.
::tu:: ::tu:: Awesome knife Skip!! Interesting tidbit of information on this company. At one time Norman Rockwell worked for the company as a design artist.

Smitty
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:02 pm Awesome.....
Thank you Smitty.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday, I added this, "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 3" closed, all metal fob/key ring pocket knife to my collection. It has a patent date of October 29, 1912. This is my first fob/key ring pocket knife advertising this particular company, "CENTRAL SUPPLY COMPANY - INDIANAPOLIS", that I've obtained. This is my second fob/key ring pocket knife that is in this particular pattern or style. The Christmas greeting is a bonus. Could this be another clue linking ROBESON to the manufacturing process of these "W & H" fob/key ring pocket knives? My investigation continues. It didn't need to be cleaned. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday, along with the fob/key ring pocket knife that's in the previous post, I added this "THE W & H CO - USA - NEWARK NJ", single blade, 2 1/2" closed, all metal fob/key ring pocket knife to my collection. This is the third fob/key ring pocket knife advertising this particular company, "ABSORENE MFG CO.", that I've obtained. But it is the first "ABSORENE" fob/key ring pocket knife, in this particular pattern or style, that I've obtained. The other two "ABSORENE" fob/key ring pocket knives have been previously posted. It didn't need to be cleaned. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”