THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: THE W & H CO + USA + NEWARK NJ = Whitehead & Hoag.

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:56 pm Skip.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades, two tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed (not including the bail), all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade tang stamp is also the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It also says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The main handle side says "THE - NEW - YORK - LIFE - INS. - CO." with some very nice graphics. The other handle side says "$200,000 CLUB - 1923", also with nice graphics. This is my first, "W & H" pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, product, organization, event, business, etc. This "W & H" pocket knife is different in a couple of ways from the other "W & H" pocket knives that I have obtained and posted. First, it has a bail and so far, it is the only "W & H" pocket knife of mine that has a bail. Second, the advertising on the handles is read in different "directions." The main handle side reads from "top to bottom" or "vertically." The other handle side reads "side to side" or horizontally. I am 99.999% sure that NONE of the previously mentioned cutlery companies that could be associated with Whitehead & Hoag, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife. If so, then what cutlery company or companies manufactured or had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife? The investigation and hunt continue! This pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. I just cleaned it up a little bit. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

***** TRIVIA *****
From the New York Life website.
"Sales of great products have driven New York Life’s 176 years of steady growth. The company’s first sales clubs for the top performing agents began over 120 years ago—as an experiment to harness the power of hitching intrinsic motivation to extrinsic rewards. The rest is history. The 1890s marked the beginning of the company’s concerted effort to cultivate a field force of full-time, professional agents. Agents who could build a promising, lifelong career at New York Life. Before then, the operations of each region had varied widely. The move to put universal standards into practice was revolutionary, and it laid the groundwork for the company’s modern field structure. At the time, a young Midwestern regional executive named Thomas Buckner aimed to motivate and recognize agents who committed to the new practices and found success with them. In 1897, Buckner announced a sales contest wherein agents with sales of $200,000 or more (face amount) would be inducted into the “Central $200,000 Club.” Those agents would earn cash bonuses and an invitation to a convention at the then popular vacation spot Put-In-Bay, Ohio. The club was an instant and striking success. In its first year, it welcomed 26 members who’d collectively sold more insurance—totaling more than $6.5 million—than 25 percent of the insurance companies in the United States at the time. Individual club members frequently sold more than the majority of the companies operating in their state. On the heels of that inaugural convention, a New York Life newsletter deemed it “almost a certainty” that sales clubs would spread to other regions. Buckner was onto something big, and Home Office executives implemented his model companywide in 1898. They also gave Buckner his first promotion to Home Office leadership. (He’d eventually become president and chairman.) In 1898, new clubs in the Eastern, Western, and Southern regions joined the Central $200,000 Club for a three-day joint convention at Niagara Falls. Together, the groups decided to form one national $200,000 Club, the first companywide organization dedicated to recognizing high-achieving agents. From then on, New York Life sales clubs would anchor the company’s commitment to the success of its agent force. The club system has evolved to keep pace with New York Life’s expansion. In September 1926, executives announced a $400,000 Club to account for rising average policy values and the agents’ drive to sell more. “$200,000 is no longer a sum which is interesting to hundreds of agents to aim at in order to satisfy their ambition as one of the ‘Aristocracy of Life Insurance,” Buckner said at the time. Their tireless drive explains why clubs eventually dropped their monetary names altogether. What became known as the Top Club program, in time, assumed the name it still holds today: the Council program. About today’s Council - Today’s Council is both a measurement of an agent’s success and a pillar of Agency culture. New York Life agents earn Council credits based on their sales production each year, and the number of credits they earn qualifies them for different Council levels. An agent’s professional conduct is also a criterion for Council membership. Agents who achieve Executive, President’s, and Chairman's Council, as well as Chairman's Cabinet, are invited on a special trip each year, where they hear from company leaders and guest speakers, share best practices, and celebrate their success of the prior year. These Council Meetings are a uniquely New York Life experience and play a key role in nurturing the strategic alignment and relationship of trust between our agents and the businesses that support them."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my second "W & H" fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife that advertises this particular company, event, organization, business, product, etc. The main handle side says "RANDALL - CLOTHES" and the other handle side says nothing, it is blank. My first "RANDALL CLOTHES" pocket knife was previously posted under this topic or thread on Friday, March 5, 2021. I gave this pocket knife a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
With just a basic Google search, I could not
find any information about this company.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades (one is broken), two tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade (broken) tang stamp is also the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. The main handle side says "MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA" with some very nice graphics. The other handle side also says "MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA" and also has the same, very nice graphics. This is my first, "W & H" pocket knife, that advertises this particular organization, company, product, event, business, etc. I am 99.999% sure that NONE of the previously mentioned cutlery companies that could be associated with Whitehead & Hoag, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife. If so, then what cutlery company or companies manufactured or had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife? The investigation and hunt continue! Overall, this pocket knife is still in pretty GOOD condition, even with the broken blade. I cleaned it up a little.
I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
The last two pictures (#9 & #10) below, show a picture or an illustration of the "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knife from MY May, 1935 edition of the Modern Woodmen of America Premium Book. I am 99.999% sure that "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knives were NOT made in 1935 or the 1930's, but were made in the 1920's OR possibly earlier. Also shown are the front and back covers of the Premium Book.
There is PLENTY of information regarding this organization on the Internet.
The following information is from the Modern Woodmen website.
"Modern Woodmen history.
Finding roots in Ancient Rome.
Helping families after a breadwinner’s death was a key reason fraternal benefit societies were first formed in the mid-1800s – and why Joseph Cullen Root founded Modern Woodmen of America in 1883. But the concept of life insurance goes all the way back to 100 B.C.
The vision behind our name.
We have no woodworking in our history. No cabinet making. No lumberjacks.
Our name was inspired by pioneer woodmen. They cleared forests to build homes and communities and provide security for their families. Modern Woodmen’s founder, Joseph Cullen Root, felt this was the perfect symbol to illustrate his goal of clearing away financial burdens for families. On Jan. 5, 1883, Modern Woodmen of America was born in Lyons, Iowa. We moved across the Mississippi River to Fulton, Illinois, in 1884. Our headquarters relocated downriver to Rock Island, Illinois, in 1897. Rock Island remains our home office hometown to this day.
What is a fraternal benefit society?
How Modern Woodmen fraternalism works.
Modern Woodmen of America is the nation’s third-largest fraternal benefit society in terms of assets. Fraternalism is a unique combination of business and giving back to those we serve – a continuous cycle of positive impact.
Our representatives provide financial products to help members protect their families and their futures.
These products help fund member programs, including social, educational and volunteer activities that identify and meet local needs. These programs build relationships, allowing for membership growth and greater community impact.
Our members' common bonds Throughout Modern Woodmen's history, our members have touched lives and secured futures nationwide. Today members remain connected by common values, including:
Financial security, through life insurance, retirement planning and financial services.
Quality family life, through fraternal member programs and activities.
Community impact, through local volunteer projects that make a difference where members live, work and play."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Left - The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.<br />Right -The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Left - The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.
Right -The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Picture Or Illustration Of The Pocket Knife <br />From The Modern Woodmen Premium Book.
The Picture Or Illustration Of The Pocket Knife
From The Modern Woodmen Premium Book.
The Modern Woodmen Premium Book,<br />Front And Back Covers.
The Modern Woodmen Premium Book,
Front And Back Covers.

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Interesting history on that one Skip ::nod::

Like the handles too ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:03 am Interesting.....
Thank you, Dimitri. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It is now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades, two different tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade tang stamp is a two line, block style tang stamp. It says "THE (over) W. & H. CO." This is my fourth "W & H", two blades, advertising pocket knife that has two different "W & H" tang stamps. The main handle side says "MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA" with some very nice graphics. The other handle side also says "MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA" and also has the same, very nice, graphics. This is my second, "W & H" pocket knife, that advertises this particular organization, company, product, event, business, etc. However, this one still has both blades. My other "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knife was posted, under this topic or thread, on Friday, September 16, 2022. Both of these "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knives, advertising the same organization and having the same handles, both pocket knives have different main blades, but with the same style of tang stamp. Both pocket knives have different secondary blades with different tang stamps. Were both of these pocket knives made by the same cutlery company, using different blades with different tang stamps? Or were both pocket knives made by different cutlery companies? I am 99.999% sure that NONE of the previously mentioned cutlery companies that could be associated with Whitehead & Hoag, had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife. If so, then what cutlery company or companies manufactured or had a hand in the manufacturing process of this pocket knife? The investigation and hunt continue! This pocket knife is in VERY GOOD condition. It needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
The last two pictures (#9 & #10) below, show a picture or an illustration of the "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knife from MY May, 1935 edition of the Modern Woodmen of America Premium Book. I am 99.999% sure that "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knives were NOT made in 1935 or the 1930's, but were made in the 1920's OR possibly earlier. Also shown are the front and back covers of the Premium Book.
There is PLENTY of information regarding this organization on the internet.
The following information is per Wikipedia.....
"Modern Woodmen of America (MWA) is one of the largest (based on assets) fraternal benefit societies in the United States, with more than 750,000 members. Total assets reached US$15.4 billion in 2016. Though it shares the same founder, it is not affiliated financially in any way with another, similarly-styled fraternal benefit society, WoodmenLife, and despite the name "Modern" is actually older than its counterpart. Modern Woodmen of America was founded by Joseph Cullen Root on January 5, 1883, in Lyons, Iowa. He had operated a number of businesses, including a mercantile establishment, a grain elevator and two flour mills, sold insurance and real estate, taught bookkeeping classes, managed a lecture bureau, and practiced law. Root was a member of several fraternal societies throughout the years. He wanted to create an organization that would protect families following the death of a breadwinner. During a Sunday sermon, Root heard the pastor tell a parable about pioneer woodmen clearing away forests to build homes, communities and security for their families. He adopted the term "woodmen" for his organization. To complete the name, he added "modern" to reflect the need to stay current and change with the times, and "of America" to symbolize patriotism. Originally, Modern Woodmen had a unique set of membership restrictions and criteria. Religiously, the group was quite open, accepting "Jew and Gentile, the Catholic and Protestant, the agnostic and the atheist." However, until the mid-1900s, membership was restricted to white males between the ages of 18-45 from the 12 "healthiest" states -- Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, the Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas. Residents of large cities were also disqualified from membership, as were those employed in certain professions, such as railway workers, underground miners, gunpowder factory employees, liquor wholesalers and manufacturers, saloon keepers, "aeronauts", sailors on the lakes and seas, and professional baseball players. In 1884, the head office was organized in Fulton, Illinois. The first death claim of $698.58 was paid the same year. One of the most unique elements of the organization was its drill teams, which came to be known as the Modern Woodmen Foresters. The first drill team was organized in Hutchinson, Kansas, in 1894. These groups became nationally known for events held from 1890 to the late 1930s, and the Foresters were even honored by Herbert Hoover at the White House. Because each group was differentiated by a different style and color of uniform, their demonstrations were referred to as "Rainbow Parades." The Rainbow Parades were hosted by cities across the United States and included 10,000 units of Foresters, with more than 160,000 men participating. The last known Rainbow Parade was held on Michigan Boulevard in Chicago, and it halted traffic for more than two hours while thousands of spectators viewed the scene. During the tuberculosis (TB) epidemic of the early 1900s, Modern Woodmen opened a 1,000-acre (4.0 km²) facility in Colorado Springs, Colorado, in 1907. The facility cost $1.5 million to build and was named one of the most outstanding institutions for the treatment of TB by the American College of Surgeons. From 1909 to 1947, the sanatorium provided free treatment to more than 12,000 members.It offered board, lodging, treatment, medicine, dental work and laundering, all at no expense to the patient. Tuberculosis was the leading cause of death among Modern Woodmen members when the society opened the Modern Woodmen Tuberculosis Sanatorium. Following World War II, antibiotics became available and TB declined in the United States. The facility closed in 1947, when TB ranked eighth in leading causes of death. Modern Woodmen's first home office was organized in Fulton, Illinois, in 1884. When the organization moved to Rock Island, Illinois, in 1897, Fulton residents fought to keep Modern Woodmen in their town. The move was blocked three times before it was successful. In 1898, Modern Woodmen officially opened its home office at 1504 Third Ave. In 1967, Modern Woodmen opened a new home office, located at 1701 First Avenue in Rock Island, Illinois, to accommodate its rapid growth. Its home office remains there today, where the organization maintains an active role in the Quad Cities community. In 2008, Modern Woodmen became the naming rights sponsor of Modern Woodmen Park, home of the Quad Cities River Bandits, in Davenport, Iowa. Modern Woodmen is a tax-exempt fraternal benefit society. The membership organization sells life insurance, annuity and investment products to help fund member benefits and social, educational and volunteer programs that meet community needs. As a fraternal organization, the society is organized around a lodge system, called chapters, Summit chapters and youth service clubs. These groups offer fellowship and community service opportunities for members. In 2016, Modern Woodmen members were part of 2,466 chapters, 283 Summit chapters and 782 youth service clubs nationwide. Modern Woodmen members across the United States participate in numerous activities to socialize, learn and volunteer in their communities. Members unite for volunteer efforts that provide money, donations, hand-on labor and other resources to improve lives in their communities. The organization's Matching Fund Program matches money raised by individual chapters for community members or local organizations in need. Modern Woodmen's fraternal expenditures for member benefits and community programs totaled $21.7 million in 2016. These programs included fraternal aid, college scholarships, newborn benefits, orphan benefits, final wishes resources, member discounts and youth educational programs. Modern Woodmen and its subsidiaries provide life insurance and annuity, investment and banking products to the family market. Life insurance in force totaled over $38.9 billion in 2016. Modern Woodmen has three wholly owned subsidiaries: MWA Financial Services, Inc., founded in 2001, functions as an introducing broker dealer and distributes securities products. Modern Woodmen General Agency, founded in 2002, offers brokered insurance products, including health insurance, long-term care insurance, disability income insurance and more. A. M. Best rates Modern Woodmen's financial stability, security and management performance as A (Excellent), the third highest of 15 ratings. The rating is based on a comprehensive quantitative evaluation of the organization's balance sheet strength, operating performance and business profile. Insurers in the superior category are considered to have a superior ability to meet their ongoing obligations. Modern Woodmen follows a conservative investment approach, holding more than 80 percent of its portfolio in corporate and government bonds. As of 2016, Modern Woodmen holds $112.09 for every $100 in liabilities."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Left - The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.<br />Right -The Secondary Blade Front Tang Stamp.
The Picture Or Illustration Of The Pocket Knife <br />From The Modern Woodmen Premium Book.
Front And Back Covers.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday afternoon, my trip to the post office produced this pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades, one spring, 3 5/16" closed, two tang stamps, advertising pocket knife. The main handle side says, "THE CLEVELAND TRENCHER CO. - 20010 St. Clair Avenue - EUCLID, OHIO - Cleveland Suburb". The other handle side says, "THE BABY - DIGGER" and has an illustration of the machine. There is a tang stamp on the front of the main blade. There is a tang stamp on the front of the secondary blade. The two tang stamps on this particular pocket knife are the curved or arched style tang stamps. There is NO "USA" in the middle of either tang stamp. The tang stamps both say "THE W.& H.CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." This is my first "W & H" pocket knife that advertises this particular company, product, event, organization, business, etc. Overall, this pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. This pocket knife needed absolutely NO cleaning at all. I took some pictures and here it is.
Captions, if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).

***** TRIVIA *****
It appears that this company is still alive and kicking.
The very last picture (#10) is from the CLEVELAND TRENCHER website.
"Cleveland Trencher is the oldest trenching manufacturer in the United States
and has been a mainstay in the industry since 1921.".....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The CLEVELAND TRENCHER Website.
The CLEVELAND TRENCHER Website.

Skip
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Skip, excellent knife and interesting trivia ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Miller Bro's wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:27 pm Skip.....
Thank you, Dimitri. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday morning, my trip to the post office produced this pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, 2 1/2" closed (NOT including the loop or ring), one tang stamp, all metal, fob or key ring style, advertising pocket knife. The main handle side says "San Marto - COFFEE." The other handle side only says "PAT. PEND." just below the loop or ring. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style, WITH the "USA" in the center of the stamp. The main blade front tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my third "W & H", fob or key ring style pocket knife, that advertises this particular product, business, company, event, etc. My other two "San Marto Coffee" pocket knives were previously posted under this topic or thread. This pocket knife needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** Trivia *****
All the information and advertising items that I could find on San Marto Coffee or
The Blodgett and Beckley Comany, have already been posted, along with my second
San Marto Coffee pocket knife, under this topic or thread, back on Friday, August 5, 2022.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday afternoon, my trip to the post office produced this fob or key ring, pattern or style, advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style, advertising pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "The W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, N.J." This is my first "W & H" pocket knife that is advertising this particular business, company, product, event, etc. The main handle side says "1812------1924 - MONONGAHELA NATIONAL BANK - BROWNSVILLE, PA." It also says "PATENTED" just above the loop or ring. The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. It needed very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
The very last picture (#6) is of the Monongahela National Bank on Market Street in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Circa ?
Per the Southwestern Pennsylvania Rural Exploration (SWPARE) website.....
"The Monongahela National Bank is one of the many buildings along Market Street in Brownsville, PA that has a troubled future. Currently located beside the old Monongahela Hotel (or Towne House apartments), it’s one of many buildings on Market Street that could be facing demolition if no one comes in to save it. The current Market Street location is the last in a line of four locations for the Bank. The first bank was opened in 1812 on 221 Front Street in mixed commercial/residential zone. It’s first President, Jacob Bowman, lived only a short distance from the small brick building. The bank would stay in this original location for 61 years, moving to its new home at 320 Market Street in 1873. The bank moved again in 1902, to a two-story, Italian Renaissance style brick building located at 41 Market Street. The President at this point was Charles Snowdon. The building at this location still resembles the original – however, it is missing its first-floor façade. This façade was taken to be used for another Brownsville building – the Brownsville Public Library on Seneca Street. In 1923, bank was ready to move again – this time to 46 Market Street – its last move before it would close. The owners of the Monongahela National Bank, still under Bank President Charles Snowdon, approached Samuel Leff, the current owner of the Monongahela Hotel (rebuilt in 1911) about selling to the bank. An agreement was reached, and the new bank and hotel were both finished in 1925. The bank had an upstairs annex to the hotel – twenty rooms for overflow guests – and was reached only through an enclosed tunnel/bridge that extended from the top of the hotel to the bank. When the Monongahela National Bank became insolvent and closed in April 1931, these rooms were closed off from the hotel to cut back costs on insurance. Located in the right part of the bank's facade is the opening to an old soda shop. Currently the bank and soda shop are used for storage - like the buffet and other pieces of the former Uniontown Rax."
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

More good stuff, Skip! I enjoy the heck out of these old pieces that you post. ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:36 pm More.....
Thank you, Ike.🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday afternoon, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, all metal, fob or key ring, pattern or style of advertising pocket knife. It has the curved or arched style of tang stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. The tang stamp says "THE W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK NJ" This is my first "W & H" pocket knife that advertises this particular business, event, organization, company, product, etc. This pocket knife came with a nice, clean, fob chain. The main handle side says "ALLEGHENY TRUST CO. - PITTSBURGH, PA" It also has "PAT. PEND." by the blade pivot pin. The other handle side says "NEW BUILDING OPENING - 1929" I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
With just a basic Google search, I could NOT find
anything at all on this company regarding its history.
A reminder that the stock market crashed on Black Monday, October 28, 1929.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
With The Included Fob Chain.
With The Included Fob Chain.

Skip
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Missed several of the last posts Skip, nice haul of knives you got, they all are in great shape too!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

C-WADE7 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:06 am Missed.....
Thank you, Coley. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades, two tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade tang stamp is also the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It also says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The main handle side says "SCOTTISH UNION & NATIONAL - INSURANCE COMPANY - HARTFORD, CONN." and has a "coat of arms" or "crest" style of logo. The other handle side says "1824-ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY-1924" This is my first, "W & H" pocket knife, that advertises this particular company, product, organization, event, business, etc. This pocket knife is in EXCELLENT condition. I just wiped it off. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
Doing just a basic Google search, I ended up with quite a bit of information on this company.
But, the information was mainly about the U.K., or United Kingdom, side of the company. Here is a BRIEF sample.
"The Aviva website has a summary of the history of the company: "The company was initially established as a mutual fire insurer and began offering fire insurance in May 1841. The company's contract of co-partnery allowed for the undertaking of life assurance and, in May 1843, it began writing life risks and changed its name to The National Fire and Life Insurance Company of Scotland. In 1846, the company abandoned the mutual system of fire insurance as most Scottish offices at the time did not want to do business with a mutual company. The company merged with the Scottish Union Insurance Company in 1877 and was dissolved the following year."
The very last picture (#10) is of the American headquarters in Hartford, Connecticut and it has a caption.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:00 pm Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this advertising pocket knife. It now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection.

***** TRIVIA *****

The very last picture (#10) is of the American headquarters in Hartford, Connecticut and it has a caption.
Nice knife Skip, as I was reading the company history and saw an insurance firm in Hartford it made the radio show Johnny Dollar pop in my mind, seems he was always doing insurance investigations for a firm there. Funny how certain words trigger thoughts.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

C-WADE7 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:57 pm Nice.....
Thank you, Coley. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Very recently, my trip to the post office produced this fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. It now becomes the latest addition to this topic or thread and to my collection. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 1/16" closed, all metal, advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. The tang stamp is the curved or arched style WITH the "USA" in the middle. The main blade front tang stamp says "The W & H CO (over) USA (over) NEWARK, N.J." This is my third "W & H" pocket knife that is advertising this particular business, company, product, event, etc. The other two have been previously posted under this topic or thread. The main handle side says "BACKUS BASKETS - A. BACKUS JR & SONS - DETROIT, MICH." It also says "PATENTED" just above the loop or ring. The other handle side says nothing, it is blank. Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. I gave it a very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
The very last picture (#6) was originally posted back on Thursday, February 10, 2022.
The following is a reprint of the trivia that I posted back on Thursday, February 10, 2022.
Absolom Backus was born in 1824 and moved to Detroit in 1867. He started his woven basket company with his brother and his sons thereafter joined the company. The baskets that they created were used for various things, one of the most famous being dog carriers.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:15 pm
Nice acquisition, Skip. I like the Detroit aspect, and the interesting subject matter.
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:43 am Nice.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Yesterday afternoon, my trip to the post office produced this pocket knife. It is now becomes the latest example to join this topic or thread and to join my collection. It is a "W & H", two blades, two tang stamps, 3 1/8" closed, all metal, advertising pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The secondary blade tang stamp is also the curved or arched style stamp, WITHOUT "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) NEWARK, N.J." The main handle side says "MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA" with some very nice graphics. The other handle side also says "MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA" and also has the same, very nice, graphics. This is my third, "W & H" pocket knife, that advertises this particular organization, company, product, event, business, etc. Overall, this pocket knife is in VERY GOOD condition. It needed very little cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.

***** TRIVIA *****
For trivia, please see my post, under this topic or thread, on Sunday, September 18, 2022.
The last two pictures (#9 & #10) below, show a picture or an illustration of the "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knife from my May, 1935 edition of the Modern Woodmen of America Premium Book. I am 99.999% sure that "MODERN WOODMEN" pocket knives were NOT made in 1935 or the 1930's, but were made in the 1920's OR possibly earlier. Also shown are the front and back covers of the Premium Book.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Front And Back Covers.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I found this "W & H" advertising pocket knife with just a general Google search. Unfortunately for me, it was no longer available. I am posting the pocket knife to be used as a future reference. This pocket knife is NOT mine. The pictures are NOT mine. The pictures have NOT been edited, altered, or enhanced by me, in any way, except for size. It is a "W & H", one blade, one tang stamp, 2 7/32" closed, advertising, fob or key ring, pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp is the curved or arched style stamp, WITH the "USA" in the middle. It says "THE W. & H. CO. (over) USA (over) NEWARK, N.J." The main handle side says "YOUR HOME BANK - HAZELWOOD SAVINGS & TRUST CO. - PITTSBURGH, PA." The other handle side says "SILVER ANNIVERSARY - 1901----1926 - 25 YEARS OF SAFE BANKING"
Click on a picture to ENLARGE

***** If the owner wishes to sell it, PLEASE PM ME. I am definitely NOT a cheapskate. *****
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (28.82 KiB) Viewed 808 times

Skip

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”