Two Waltco Butterfly Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Nephilim

Two Waltco Butterfly Knives

Post by Nephilim »

I recently acquired another Waltco Saf-T-Sheath and I thought I'd make a comparison between early and later production examples.
On top is a 1950s production knife, and below is a circa 1949 example. The top example has plastic scales with a W shape cut into them, while the bottom has full width celluloid scales. I think that handles are different materials too, I suspect that the later top example has stainless steel handles, while the earlier bottom example is aluminum.
On top is a 1950s production knife, and below is a circa 1949 example. The top example has plastic scales with a W shape cut into them, while the bottom has full width celluloid scales. I think that handles are different materials too, I suspect that the later top example has stainless steel handles, while the earlier bottom example is aluminum.
1950s model on the left the the early 1949 on the right. Later knife has a large, obvious stamp with the make and model. Also, the channel for the stop pin is cut for the full width of the handle on the earlier knife.
1950s model on the left the the early 1949 on the right. Later knife has a large, obvious stamp with the make and model. Also, the channel for the stop pin is cut for the full width of the handle on the earlier knife.
Again, the later knife (top) has a logo while the earlier one does not. The pivot pins ground flush on the earlier example, while the later one has larger, flat headed rivets that aren't ground down. The earlier knife has the latch on the safe handle (Manila style) while the later example has the latch on the bite handle (Batangas style). The later knife also has a notched shaped choil.
Again, the later knife (top) has a logo while the earlier one does not. The pivot pins ground flush on the earlier example, while the later one has larger, flat headed rivets that aren't ground down. The earlier knife has the latch on the safe handle (Manila style) while the later example has the latch on the bite handle (Batangas style). The later knife also has a notched shaped choil.
I actually got that early model back in March, 2020. At the time, I suspected it was an early 1960s Hackman, but I eventually figured out that it was an American made Waltco from before they put a logo on it. Since then I've wanted to get a 1950s example to pair it with. The blade pivots are a looser fit on the later knife and I can flip it freely, unlike the earlier knife which is considerably tighter. I don't know if that is deliberate or even typical, or a consequence of how this knife was used over the last 70 years. I've also noticed that the wire latch on the later knife appears to be upside down, possibly due it it being removed and reinstalled at some point. There is something else curious going on with the latch. When I looked up pictures of other 1950s Waltcos, some had the latch on the bite handle and some had it safe handle. Was this a deliberate change they made at a certain point in production or just a result of haphazard assembly?
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Two Waltco Butterfly Knives

Post by Ridgegrass »

NEPH___: Here's a fish scaler model. You certainly know more than I do, which is zero. I wonder if they're the same WALTCO company that makes cube van and truck rear lift doors ? Holds a great edge. Pretty heavy body, not aluminum. Could be chrome or nickel plated. Some slight pitting. You say it's a later, 1950's model? Levine says 1950's-60's. I'd like to know more, always wondered about it. Did they make their own blades, etc.? Thanks, J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2079.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2081.JPG
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Forgot to say the latch is attached and swings from the edge-side handle. J.O'.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

I did happen to email Levine about Waltco knives, but information about this manufacturer is pretty scant. I'll happily share what I have.
I wish I had a larger version of this image. The central ad dates from 1949.
I wish I had a larger version of this image. The central ad dates from 1949.
Here's a link to a couple articles on the topic: http://svalbardrepublic.org/z-wi-workin ... roof01.pdf
http://svalbardrepublic.org/z-wi-workin ... proof2.pdf
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thank you. J.O'.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting read! I have what I believe is an early style(without the W)and one that has screws holding the handles on.Someone opined that the second one might be an unmarked Hackmann model. Here are pics.
Attachments
Balisong#3.JPG
Balisong#4.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

That one with the screws and plastic scales does look like a early 60s Hackman, from what I've seen. As for the bottom one with the pins, it looks much like a my early Waltco, but with a different style of latch.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”