Help dating an IXL

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
michaelspayth

Help dating an IXL

Post by michaelspayth »

All I know so far is that the presence of "England" at the bottom of the tang stamp indicates that the knife was made after 1890. Also, would these handles be celluloid? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
PicsArt_06-22-11.28.16.jpg
LongBlade

Re: Help dating an IXL

Post by LongBlade »

michaelspayth wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:34 pm All I know so far is that the presence of "England" at the bottom of the tang stamp indicates that the knife was made after 1890. Also, would these handles be celluloid? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Michael - I think as you say the knife was post 1890 but hard to date Wostenholms by stamp unless there are earlier marks (pre-1890) such as Celebrated Cutlery or Washington Works as 2 examples.. Also those stamped with "Oil the Joints" on the pile side of the blade are approx 1930s and later.. and so I am "guessing" in terms of a date range somewhere between 1890 and 1930 for your knife.. Yes the handles are celluloid and are called French Ivory celluloid... hope that helps abit..

Post by cudgee »

LongBlade wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 pm
michaelspayth wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:34 pm All I know so far is that the presence of "England" at the bottom of the tang stamp indicates that the knife was made after 1890. Also, would these handles be celluloid? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Michael - I think as you say the knife was post 1890 but hard to date Wostenholms by stamp unless there are earlier marks (pre-1890) such as Celebrated Cutlery or Washington Works as 2 examples.. Also those stamped with "Oil the Joints" on the pile side of the blade are approx 1930s and later.. and so I am "guessing" in terms of a date range somewhere between 1890 and 1930 for your knife.. Yes the handles are celluloid and are called French Ivory celluloid... hope that helps abit..
Once again this forum astounds me, the amount of knowledge knows no bounds and this reply just goes to prove it. ::doh::
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

Very helpful! Thank you - Not only for the knowledgeable reply but also for taking the time to read my post and comment back. Have a few various brand knives that i believe would classify as "french ivory celluloid." I am glad to be able to add an Ixl alongside the others.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

michaelspayth wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:54 pm Very helpful! Thank you - Not only for the knowledgeable reply but also for taking the time to read my post and comment back. Have a few various brand knives that i believe would classify as "french ivory celluloid." I am glad to be able to add an Ixl alongside the others.
My pleasure Michael ::tu:: ::handshake:: ...

Post by Corso »

cracking little i*xl

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”