Uplifting in Times of Covid

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Uplifting in Times of Covid

Post by 1fartsmella »

danno50 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:23 pm Beautiful knives posted by all!! ::tu:: Good thread, Roland.
This little, unassuming, single blade shadow jack was the first Keen Kutter I got, quite a few years ago. It is my first old knife (Sellens says 1905 to 1920) with a full blade and a blade etch. It is only 2 5/8" long.
Dan, That little KK is making me feel all warm & fuzzy. Kind of like seeing an old friend. Looks like one I mailed to Saskatchewan about 10 years ago. Thanks for showing.
Barry
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks, Ken.
It is indeed one and the same knife, Barry, thank you again. It was the one that started me on the quest for more Keen Kutters.
Dan
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Roland a great thread in times of trouble. Dan, Sorry for starting you on this addictive path of Keen Kutter Kutlery collecting. Things here on Long Island are getting scary....Here is an uplifting, old Remington whittler from my collection.
Pattern # R7024 pearl whittler 3 5/16" closed. This knife has milled integral bolsters/liners, and fine set of pearl covers.
Attachments
REMI FT.jpg
REMI BK.jpg
REM FCE.jpg
REM BKSG.jpg
REM OPN.jpg
REM CLSD.jpg
Barry
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very elegant whittler, Barry! ::tu::
Dan
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

1fartsmella wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:04 am Roland a great thread in times of trouble. Dan, Sorry for starting you on this addictive path of Keen Kutter Kutlery collecting. Things here on Long Island are getting scary....Here is an uplifting, old Remington whittler from my collection.
Pattern # R7024 pearl whittler 3 5/16" closed. This knife has milled integral bolsters/liners, and fine set of pearl covers.
Beautiful knife, Barry ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

A very, very sweet knife Barry. Thanks for posting it.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very nice Barry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Thanks for posting it...

Here's another that makes me smile - a Holley Hunter in ebony at 4 3/4"; matchstriker long pull and cool bar shield (similar to Empire) - only other one I have seen was posted by Dimitri and it was handled in ivory... what makes me smile about this knife is not only the rarity of the pattern but the story when I found it at an off the road shop... It caught my eye and I asked the shop owner who was the maker before I looked at it - He said I can't figure it out - he said it says "olley" and he couldn't make out the rest.. nonetheless got it for the price of an "olley" as the owner had no clue it was Holley :lol: ..

Mark Side DSCN4372.jpeg
Pile Side DSCN4393.jpeg
Blade Open 1 DSCN4426 2.jpeg
Tang Stamp DSCN4417.jpeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

A classy old knife and certainly, an uplifting story. Are you sure the guy wasn't a Brit and "olley" was just his way of pronouncing Holley? ::facepalm:: Couldn't resist that one.

Btw, I own neither an Olley, or a Holley, thanks for posting!
Ike
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Ike ::handshake:: ::tu:: ... Funny thing is when he said "Ollie", before I looked close at tang stamp, I was thinking maybe it was a Sheffield maker :lol:......
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Lee, Barry, Dan all good uplifting knives but the Olley Is a special story :D Barry, your gorgeous whittler reminded me of this Challenge, mainly the long graceful secondary blades. This is another knife that brings a big grin when I look at it.
Attachments
IMG_9650.jpg
IMG_9644.jpg
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

Heres a Clark Bros Kansas City whittler I really like especially with the etch. Recycled picture, I found the quarter today metal detecting.
0405201529.jpg
0405201528a.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

These are indeed some dark times and I hope all of my friends on here are faring well in this tempest. Some beautiful knives showing up here to sooth our isolation. Here are three that have that effect for me. Fondling and imagining their history brings a calm that only we know.
Attachments
IMG_5648 (2).JPG
IMG_5649 (2).JPG
IMG_5651 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Pile Driver wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:38 pm Heres a Clark Bros Kansas City whittler I really like especially with the etch. Recycled picture, I found the quarter today metal detecting.0405201529.jpg
0405201528a.jpg
Very sweet old whittler. ::tu:: ::tu::
And I bet your heart went piter pat when you pulled up that old silver. Excellent!!! ::nod:: ::nod::
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Barry, that is one gorgeous whittler ::tu:: Very nice photos too!

Olley Molley Lee that is a great Holley ::tu::

PD, that is a great looking whittler ::tu:: ::nod::

John, what a wonderful Challenge whittler with killer handles ::tu::

Greg, your folders are very soothing in my isolation of discontent ::tu:: ! ::nod::

Thanks gentlemen for very nice contributions!!
Lloyd
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I echo Lloyd's sentiments on all!! ::tu::
Dan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

JohnR wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:36 pm Lee, Barry, Dan all good uplifting knives but the Olley Is a special story :D Barry, your gorgeous whittler reminded me of this Challenge, mainly the long graceful secondary blades. This is another knife that brings a big grin when I look at it.
John, that is one of most beautiful Whittlers I have ever seen. The handles on that one are over the top. I like all the blades on this one. That is indeed a very special knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
espn77

Post by espn77 »

This set, knife and box always makes me smile. Wayne wants kind enough you allow it to be in my collection. I'm sure there are other bullet boxes out there but I've not ever heard of anyone that has one.
Attachments
20200330_142242.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some spectacular knives being shown by all. Thanks for the show.

This is another one, although not as rare or pretty as what many are showing. Here is a well worn Trapper that is special to me because it was my dad’s. I think he bought it used. He carried it a good while, and gave it to me several years before he passed away.

Ken
Attachments
83A6A4B4-08C8-4C6F-B4CB-9343C67CB2B6.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, these knives are real 'treasures'. I'm sure some are the finest examples in existence. It is inspiring to see so many top examples and so many with a meaningful history that gives an emotional connection.
I hope we have enough 'special' knives to keep this 'uplift' going until Covid becomes history.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:33 pm
JohnR wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:36 pm Lee, Barry, Dan all good uplifting knives but the Olley Is a special story :D Barry, your gorgeous whittler reminded me of this Challenge, mainly the long graceful secondary blades. This is another knife that brings a big grin when I look at it.
John, that is one of most beautiful Whittlers I have ever seen. The handles on that one are over the top. I like all the blades on this one. That is indeed a very special knife.

Thank you for your kind comments and thank everyone that commented. Lot's of great knives being shown sure to bring a big grin to the faces of any knife nut.
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

espn77 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:11 pm This set, knife and box always makes me smile. Wayne wants kind enough you allow it to be in my collection. I'm sure there are other bullet boxes out there but I've not ever heard of anyone that has one.
Top notch
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

These two are two of my favorites. Made by Master Seizo Imai, these are a few of the last knives that he made before his passing in 2014. If these look familiar, that’s because they are a Loveless design. Mr Imai was well known for making these knives designed by Bob Loveless. These are probably the closest I will come to having one of the original Loveless knives. The Damascus stainless steel on these is beautiful. I don’t collect many fixed blades but these are the best fixed blade knives I own. I enjoy looking at these and handling these, it does bring some pleasure. It’s like fishing, when I fish I don’t think about anything but fishing. When I have one of these in my hands, I don’t think about anything else but these. The craftsmanship, fit and finish are a pleasure to look at.
Attachments
IMG_4347.jpeg
IMG_4342.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful Remington, espn77, fantastic to have the box to go with it! ::tu::
Great old Case, Ken! ::tu::
Two beautiful fixed blades, Sharpshinyknives! ::tu::
Dan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, your knives are exquisite.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:18 pm That Todd Davidson is gorgeous kj.
Here is a group shot, I seem to really like knives in groups, it gives me an endorphin release looking at these. These are a collection of Rigid knives made by Canal Street. I honestly can’t pick one to be my favorite from this group, I like them all. This is a complete set of these knives. Rigid dropped this project in the middle of production. SMKW picked up all of each pattern and offered them on their “Knives Live” tv show many years ago. These sold out in minutes. Looking at this amber bone stag you can see why.
........I remember seeing these!!........how long ago was that show on tv???........it's been awhile!!........... ::tu:: ::tu:: ...............................

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”