Vintage Horn Handle Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knife7knut

Re: Vintage Horn Handle Knives

Post by knife7knut »

Love the shield on the Premier! That eating set looks really old;fancy bolster and all! ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Some great knives being posted all ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Interesting to me to see all the different patterns for sure :) ... The shades of horn color are awesome...

Here's a couple of old horn knives -

An old turn of the 19th century sfilato from Frosolone (horn has a crack which may be the result of years of age - pile side good shape) :
Blade Open DSCN7606 - 2.JPG
Green & Co (Sheffield (ca 1840) - Abit of an old relic but I just find this knife appealing - this one sports a couple slabs of old horn with some color and a few bug bites..
Blade Open DSCN4020.JPG

Post by Mason »

tongueriver wrote:I am 98% (not 100%) certain this Blish Mize Hardware jack is horn. And the H. Boker pre-war gentleman's knife (big @ 3 3/4 inches!) is definitely horn.Blish 1.jpgBlish 2.jpgb2.jpgb11.jpg
That's a great looking old Boker, but the handles are actually "horn celluloid". Boker did an amazing job on their synthetic handle materials and it is often hard to tell the difference between "cell" and "horn", and also between their genuine jigged bone and synthetic jigged bone handles.
Mason

Post by Mason »

Some great looking horn handles posted. Here is an old Sheffield John Petty with some nice multi-colored horn.
Attachments
Sheffield Petty knife on card (1500x1004).jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice ones, Lee. I see you stept into the old back vault. :D
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

That's some of the nicest horn I have seen Neal - the shading of dark and light is really appealing ::tu:: ::tu::

Thanks Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Definitely from the "old vault" :lol: ... I found a few more in the old vault and will get pics soon.. but here's one I found from the front lobby before I stepped back into the old :lol: ...

Here's a different one from me being a modern knife - Hubertus Lockback Hunter which my brother gifted me a few years back ::nod::
Hubertus Blade Open DSCN7030A.jpg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

knife7knut wrote:Love the shield on the Premier! That eating set looks really old;fancy bolster and all! ::tu::
Thanks Ray! I speculate the slide-apart slot hobo's frame with fork and spoon is probably Sheffield, and possibly from the 19th century. The spoon has a hallmark on the stem but I haven't been able to decipher it. The master is stamped Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co. but obviously isn't original to the knife.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mason

Post by Mason »

LongBlade wrote:That's some of the nicest horn I have seen Neal - the shading of dark and light is really appealing ::tu:: ::tu::

Thanks Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Definitely from the "old vault" :lol: ... I found a few more in the old vault and will get pics soon.. but here's one I found from the front lobby before I stepped back into the old :lol: ...

Here's a different one from me being a modern knife - Hubertus Lockback Hunter which my brother gifted me a few years back ::nod::

Hubertus Blade Open DSCN7030A.jpg
Thanks Lee, and that is some nice looking modern horn also.
Hubertus has a very good reputation as well and is owned and operated by a very nice husband and wife team.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Quite a selection there Ray ::tu::

Lee, a couple of oldies 8)

Ken, interesting old knife even though the blade has been replaced ::nod::

Mason, Sheffield quality shows through on that knife, I have said this before, the English had access to the best handle material around!
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
knife7knut wrote:Love the shield on the Premier! That eating set looks really old;fancy bolster and all! ::tu::
Thanks Ray! I speculate the slide-apart slot hobo's frame with fork and spoon is probably Sheffield, and possibly from the 19th century. The spoon has a hallmark on the stem but I haven't been able to decipher it. The master is stamped Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Co. but obviously isn't original to the knife.

I did a quick check in the silver hall mark book and I believe the mark is for Walker & Hall first used in 1892. The other marks I believe stand for (E)electro(P)plated (S)silver.

Ken
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great thread Dimitri. Horn is a great cover handle material. I have a few but always look for more.

The 3rd knife is a J. H. Mabey Newark marked knife that I always thought was a NJ knife made in Sheffield but I now think it was a marker in Newark England but am not sure?? Any help on this one would be appreciated.

The last knife, etched Miller Brothers is one I sold and wish I had back!!
Attachments
canastotalockback1.jpg
frosolones.jpg
j.h.mabey.jpg
mmogal1.jpg
uticaenglish1.jpg
checkered horn.jpg
millerjack1.jpg
Mason

Post by Mason »

Thanks M.B., and I really enjoyed seeing that fine and unusual European example with the carved horn handles and silver inlays.

Here is an old French folder with an attractive "waterfall" pattern in the horn.
Attachments
French Farge (1400x1117).jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is one I finally located in my document file. Not in the best of shape the handle has suffered breakage and a dermasid larvae attack.Marked DEPOSE (which I assume is French)it is a figural of the Eiffel Tower made of pressed horn.
Also thought I would throw in some horn handled razors;a couple of which date to around 1800.
Attachments
Depose1.jpg
EmpireKnifeCoWestWinstedConn.JPG
Razors&Such2 075.jpg
Razors&Such2 078.jpg
Razors&Such2 248.JPG
WarrantedEximio2017.JPG
WolfAcierFonduRazor-w-Case&Strop-19.50 001.jpg
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Great thread MB! And some really beautiful knives...I love horn handled knives.
Here's a few that I have...German, British and Italian. cheers
Attachments
Robert Klaas bartender '61-70 Solingen (4).JPG
IXL George Wostenholm horn (5).JPG
Saladini Zuava Scarperia Italy (2).JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

knife7knut wrote:Love the shield on the Premier! That eating set looks really old;fancy bolster and all! [*]

I did a quick check in the silver hall mark book and I believe the mark is for Walker & Hall first used in 1892. The other marks I believe stand for (E)electro(P)plated (S)silver.
Thanks! So it's old, but not as old as I was guessing.

Lawrence those are beauties but the Klaas Kissing Crane is outstanding!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Here's another H. Boker. This tang stamp was primarily used by Boker on knives for the Australian market.
Attachments
118-1849_IMG.JPG
118-1850_IMG.JPG
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

And another H. Boker. The handles on this knife are supposed to be ram's horn according to the seller I bought it from years ago. I've never seen another one with handles quite like it, though it does remind me of some snakeskin bone I have seen on the OLD H. Bokers. ::shrug:: Opinions?
Attachments
124-2485_IMG.JPG
124-2487_IMG.JPG
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Roger,looks like stag to me.
Roger
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Some more beauties shown by all ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Hey Mike - I bet you regret selling that stunner!!

Roger - Interestingly that type of handle is under alot of discussion on the Parker & Field thread near the top here on Knife Lore... as Roger (peanut740) noted some think it may be stag and others think maybe pressed bone or horn ... I don’t know the answer but Charlie C is in the process of destroying and investigating one of Lyle’s knives with those handles :D ...

Post by FRJ »

Here's a little Hatch with horn covers.
Attachments
DSCN4722.JPG
DSCN4724.JPG
Joe
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

thegreedygulo wrote:And another H. Boker. The handles on this knife are supposed to be ram's horn according to the seller I bought it from years ago. I've never seen another one with handles quite like it, though it does remind me of some snakeskin bone I have seen on the OLD H. Bokers. ::shrug:: Opinions?
I would concur that it looks more like stag than ram's horn.Ram's horn usually has a much coarser grain to it and none that I have seen exhibits the,"popcorn" effect shown. Some people theorize that it is "pressed stag" created by heating the stag and applying a die with an appropriate pattern to it such as is done with horn. I personally think the pattern is natural.
I am posting pictures of a Wostenholm knife I have with a similar handle and an automatic with ram's horn handles to show the difference.
Attachments
Geo.WostenholmStagWhittler1.JPG
Geo.WostenholmStagWhittler3.JPG
2018AutomaticKnives 001.jpg
2018AutomaticKnives 002.jpg
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Thanks for all the input & pictures guys. The handles of the knife I posted are considerably different than my other H. Boker stag handled knives. With that said, along with being told it was ram's horn when I bought it, I had just always wondered about it. I agree with the consensus that it is stag, particularly after seeing Knife7knut's pictures (Thank you) of a knife with known ram's horn handles. Thanks all. ::tu::
BWT

Post by BWT »

Here is three I have. The folding Dirk is 7.7" closed but unfortunately the maker is worn off. The other two are a George Woodhead and a Harrison Brothers and Howson. Thanks for looking and any comments or info.
Attachments
20181213_123718.jpg
20181213_123710.jpg
George Woodhead
George Woodhead
20181213_123835.jpg
Harrison Brothers
Harrison Brothers
20181213_123753.jpg
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Can't keep up with all the nice knives posted recently, nice knives everyone! ::tu::

BWT wrote:Here is three I have. The folding Dirk is 7.7" closed but unfortunately the maker is worn off. The other two are a George Woodhead and a Harrison Brothers and Howson. Thanks for looking and any comments or info.
Wow, 7.7"!

Outstanding old knife Bill! :shock: 8) ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Dimitri, that's wrong, it's 7.5". I didn't notice when I posted. Thanks for the comments!!
Bill

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”