Any information appreciated

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
BWT

Any information appreciated

Post by BWT »

B.Brammar&Sons Radford St. I was hoping someone has a Sheffield book that would have this maker listed. It's not in Goins or Levines. I was wondering what year it was made. Thanks for your help in advance.
Attachments
20181012_112948.jpg
20181012_112940.jpg
20181012_113013.jpg
20181012_113002.jpg
Bill
FRJ

Re: Any information appreciated

Post by FRJ »

That's a grand old knife, Bill. How long is it?
Joe
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

This is all I could find. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Halfway down the left hand side in yellow. https://books.google.com/books?id=tPJZA ... ry&f=false

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice old knife Bill ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Great looking stag and rat tail bolster!!! I would ask if the liners and bolster are integrated (one piece) out of interest which helps abit but I am not sure rope knives were made pre-1860 - I don't know the answer as to when this pattern came into the market - for sure later 1800s-early 1900s... I can't get my copy of Tweedale at the moment (this broken ankle is frustrating :( ) - but if my wife or son are able I will ask them to hand it to me and will check for you on the history of Brammar & Sons ::nod:: ..
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice Knife!!

Harold
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Harold, Mike, Lee and Joe. It's 4 1/2 inches. I looked at the liners Lee,hadn't even noticed but they are definitely different, maybe one piece?
Attachments
20181012_151251.jpg
20181012_151135.jpg
20181012_151124.jpg
Bill
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

That stag is gnarly!!
Great piece!!
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Tony
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Bill - I enlarged the photos - the liners and bolsters are not integrated - if you look closely you will see a demarcation between the bolster and liner on your knife... I am attaching an photo of an integrated liner and bolster from an old Wostenholm IXL Hawkbill and an early Waterville as examples...

Believe me it was just a question of interest to me and doesn't take away from the beauty of your knife ::tu:: - in general integrated liners and bolsters made in Sheffield do suggest pre-1860 according to Levines guide but I have seen a few Sheffield knives from certain old makers continue it after 1860 for a short time... I have seen very few old American makers knives with integrated liners and bolsters except for a very early Waterville Boys Knife in my collection (stamped Waterbury) that I believe was from the 1840s based on early stamp - the interesting part is that Waterville was all emigrated Sheffield cutlers including the owner - this is the only example I have seen of an early pre-1860 American knife with integrated liners and bolsters but most likely due to the Sheffield influence on the production ::nod:: - I am also attaching a photo of the Waterville knife and integrated liners and bolster...

Hope you don't mind Bill and honestly not stealing the thread my friend but this is a good place given the question of integrated liners & bolsters and a few examples to see - ::handshake::

Wostenholm IXL example of integrated liners and bolsters:
Integral Liner-Bolster 1 DSCN7435.JPG
Waterville example of integrated liners and bolsters:
2 - Waterville Mfg Co Waterbury Blade Open DSCN3083.JPG
2b - Integrated Liner and Bolster DSCN3124.JPG

Post by BWT »

Not at all Lee, that's what I like about AAPK the information you get here. I always appreciate the response. Thanks again. I have a knife from Edinburgh I will post later, have to go get a pizza now. The maker is Mackie, Edinburgh, that's all it reads on the tang,maybe you will have information on it?
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

Not at all Lee, that's what I like about AAPK the information you get here. I always appreciate the response. Thanks again. I have a knife from Edinburgh I will post later, have to go get a pizza now. The maker is Mackie, Edinburgh, that's all it reads on the tang,maybe you will have information on it?
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I will no doubt look for info on both those makers as soon as I get my Tweedale for info in my hands ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Look forward to seeing photos of the Mackie knife along with maker stamp ::nod:: Interestingly given that you note Mackie as Edinburgh that suggests a Scottish maker - interesting ::hmm:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

BWT I wouldn't give a durn about what anybody thought about that knife . That is one for the ages. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Greg,I would imagine most people here on knife lore should like it.
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

LongBlade wrote:Bill - I enlarged the photos - the liners and bolsters are not integrated - if you look closely you will see a demarcation between the bolster and liner on your knife... I am attaching an photo of an integrated liner and bolster from an old Wostenholm IXL Hawkbill and an early Waterville as examples...

Believe me it was just a question of interest to me and doesn't take away from the beauty of your knife ::tu:: - in general integrated liners and bolsters made in Sheffield do suggest pre-1860 according to Levines guide but I have seen a few Sheffield knives from certain old makers continue it after 1860 for a short time... I have seen very few old American makers knives with integrated liners and bolsters except for a very early Waterville Boys Knife in my collection (stamped Waterbury) that I believe was from the 1840s based on early stamp - the interesting part is that Waterville was all emigrated Sheffield cutlers including the owner - this is the only example I have seen of an early pre-1860 American knife with integrated liners and bolsters but most likely due to the Sheffield influence on the production ::nod:: - I am also attaching a photo of the Waterville knife and integrated liners and bolster...

Hope you don't mind Bill and honestly not stealing the thread my friend but this is a good place given the question of integrated liners & bolsters and a few examples to see -

I always appreciate and welcome any advice, information,thanks Lee. Here's the Mackie lockback.
Attachments
20181012_173254.jpg
20181012_172927.jpg
20181012_172915.jpg
20181012_173227.jpg
20181012_173126.jpg
20181012_173114.jpg
20181012_173027.jpg
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

Three I missed.
Attachments
20181012_173752.jpg
20181012_173711.jpg
20181012_173702.jpg
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

Lee those last three photos were a mistake, that's one I've been aiming to post on the Lambsfoot thread ::dang::
Bill
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

My goodness what a fabulous knife detractors be damned.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

BWT wrote:Lee those last three photos were a mistake, that's one I've been aiming to post on the Lambsfoot thread ::dang::
Gotcha Bill - nice Lambs Foot though ::tu:: ::tu:: More on that in Lambs Foot thread :) ..

The Mackie Edinburgh knife is a beauty ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I like everything about it - pattern - lock back too, stag is gorgeous and nice fancy bolster 8) ... A nice HOK for sure... Mackie Edinburgh was in Goins but nothing else noted other than it was a stamp that existed...

Brammer & Sons is not in Goins - I'll look at Tweedale tomorrow (my help to get that book is not available at the moment :( - I will see what I find hopefully tomorrow in Tweedale (not sure if Mackie will be in Tweedale given it is a Sheffield historical directory and it may be a Scottish maker but will see ::nod:: )...

Post by LongBlade »

BWT wrote:
LongBlade wrote:Bill - I enlarged the photos - the liners and bolsters are not integrated - if you look closely you will see a demarcation between the bolster and liner on your knife... I am attaching an photo of an integrated liner and bolster from an old Wostenholm IXL Hawkbill and an early Waterville as examples...

Hope you don't mind Bill and honestly not stealing the thread my friend but this is a good place given the question of integrated liners & bolsters and a few examples to see -

I always appreciate and welcome any advice, information,thanks Lee. Here's the Mackie lockback.
Ok Bill now that I checked Tweedale :) - Brammar and Son dates from 1854-1884 - old Sheffield maker for sure ::nod:: .. interesting that it was an early rope knife - I’m not sure when that pattern came into being but I think they are most associated with the use by the Navy - be it the British or US Navy... I know the well known American rope knives were sssociated with the Mexican War in late 1800s and WWI...

Mackie Edinburgh as I suspected was not in Tweedale which confirms it was a Scottish cutler from Edinburgh - that is cool!!!!! 8) ... looks like a nice old knife!!! Unique too in origin :D ...

Post by BWT »

Thanks Lee for the help, I'm going to have to purchase that book. I hope someone brought it to you, instead of you taking a chance with your leg by getting it yourself. ::handshake::
Bill

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”