EXCELSIOR

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: EXCELSIOR

Post by peanut740 »

Look at the Co. in the tang stamp.It's not black like the rest of the stamp.Also the letters are not evenly spaced.The bone also isn't consistent with early Northfield bone.Another issue is the blade shape.On American made knives I've only seen that type of tang / blade transition on cokebottles or folding hunters.
Excelsior and Northfield knife parts were put together for many years by a fellow that was associated with Northfield for into the 1960's.This possibly is one of those.
Roger
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Roger, it could be one of those, I have no idea either way. It was purchased years ago and been in this collection since. I like the knife for what it is fake or not.

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's pretty much how I see it too Jimbo! ::nod:: I see a knife I like and my only real concern is if I can afford it; where it originated, who built it, original or clone all make little difference to me. Although I use to ignore fake etches or fake brand stamps and buy the knife anyway, I now draw the line at those, since it was pointed out to me that buying those directly affects the legitimate companies who built the originals and have paid their dues to be where they are, and it's unfair to them to use their stamps and/or logos to deceive the buyer who thinks they are buying an original, as well as taking unearned money right out of the pockets of the people who spent time and money to create the knives. I'm fine with unmarked clones, mostly because they're less expensive and are not unjustly riding the coat-tails of any legitimate companies, I see it as a form of compliment to the originals. JMHO! 8)
8)
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I agree totally madmarco! I liked the knife when I bought it and I ain’t selling it. And if I did sell it I wouldnt deceive anyone intentionally! That’s not me. I posted it thinking it’s an original Excelsior! Maybe it isn’t! Don’t really care either way, I like it!
Happy new year!
Jimbo
Jimbo
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'm with ya buddy! ::handshake:: HNY to you too Jimbo! 8)
8)
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I have followed this thread and reserved comment until now hoping Dimitri would see it and comment. His input along with peanut740 confirms what I had thought. Although an impressive looking knife it does not have the look of an old USA made Excelsior knife. My initial thought was that it was a more modern German made knife based on the bone jigging and overall appearnce. The lack of a blade kick stands out as very unusual for a less than folding hunter size jack. I have said before that when you see a knife that has no known comparators it can either be a very good or as in this case, not really what might be represented by the tang stamp.

No ill intent here in posting this knife as is often the case. As always AAPK is a great place to show, tell and learn about knives.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

I appreciate the input Wayne! Happy new year!!
Jimbo
Jimbo
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Can I show this cigar Jack. Thanks
Attachments
48BAF9ED-D6D6-437D-A386-43B6843F66BD.jpeg
EACC349B-1E06-4EEE-8E78-8AB8909DCC5F.jpeg
F1A06F89-E168-425B-89AA-63B0A5ABCBFF.jpeg
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Welcome to AAPK Mike. That a really good looking excelsior you have. Hope to see more posts from you and pics! We love to see pics!

Jimbo
Jimbo
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Thanks Jimbo! I’ve been a member for a while but that was my first post on the forum. I guess a picture of the blades would be nice too.
Attachments
EF899F80-1493-4E64-8AC8-7B85A675C8A8.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Mike V wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:29 pm Can I show this cigar Jack. Thanks
Of course you can show your knife Mike! We love pictures so show em' if you've got em'! ::welcome:: to AAPK too! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

Thanks Madmarco.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Lovely old knife. Thanks for sharing.
Reverand