Bridge question

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Berryb

Bridge question

Post by Berryb »

A friend just gave me a bag of beaters to pick through. There are a few interesting ones but this one is the biggest puzzler. Bridge cutlery St. Louis, Mo. The info I have seen on the 'net is scattered, and sometimes contradictory. Some I can't find again. what I put together: Bridge Cutlery Co. started in the early 1900s and operated for a year 'til Shapleigh Hardware bought them. S.H. marketed knives under the Bridge name from 1902 'til the early 30s. I can't find if Bridge continued to make knives for S.H., closed, or continued under another name. I do know that S.H. put "Bridge" on knives from several other makers. I did find a Pic of one tang stamped "Bridge, St Josephs, Mo." instead of St. Louis. I think It's St. Jo, One of the things I can't find again. Anyway, a long lead in to ask if there is any way to tell who actually made this knife? Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bridge question

Post by peanut740 »

Bridge was a brand name,they were not a manufacturer.I have seen knives(toenails)made by Utica and Phoenix Knife Co.and I am sure other with a Bridge tang stamp.The knife you posted is certainly pre 1920.I find it interesting that you will find toenails stamped Bridge, but not Diamond Edge.
Roger

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”