Tonto's Knife

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Marcus McCain

Tonto's Knife

Post by Marcus McCain »

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone here knew what type of knife Tonto on the Original Lone Ranger used?
Or maybe you can recognize it from the attached photo.
The blade looks similar to the current Ka-Bar 1235 but it isn't a finger grip type handle.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Tonto Knife.jpg
espn77

Re: Tonto's Knife

Post by espn77 »

Looks close to a Remington RH36??? WAG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Remington RH 36 never had a cross guard, pretty sure the knife is a PAL RH 36 as sold in WW2 PX stores, a very common knife especially when the photo was taken.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Looks like it could have come from any of the manufacturers of the U.S. Navy Mark I from WWII.

What's it doing in 19th century American West?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

LOL... I was gonna mention that!
Attachments
article-2301996-19058285000005DC-105_634x487.jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

So Jay Silverheels holds a knife on Michael Ansara who was married, for a time, to Barbara Eden who of course was the genie of "I dream of Jeannie." But I cannot identify the knife. ::dang::
americanedgetech

Indian by day, and cowboy by night! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hollywierd!!!
Ken Mc.

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

In some episodes, Tonto carried what appears to be an Imperial Hunting Knife (model H6 maybe?) similar to this one...

The most vivid scene (Can't remember the episode title or number) where Tonto actually used this type of knife was when he was being taken captive by "the bad guys" and he (Tonto) stabbed his knife into a bag of flour tied behind his saddle on Scout, slapping Scout on his rump with the command "Go Kemosabe", to alert the LR that Tonto was in trouble.

I "think" this is a late 40s or early 50s Imperial Hunting Knife, which would have fit the LR filming years. The stamp is similar to that listed in some Imperial stamp resources as being 1946 - 1955 (Crowned IMPERIAL over Providence USA - Horizontal to guard), but it has "RI" between Providence and USA. The RI shows up in the 1956 - 1988 Crowned IMPERIAL over Providence RI, with a USA perpendicular to the guard.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After they got their tent set up, both men fell sound asleep.
Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, "Kemo Sabe. Look towards the sky. What you see?"

The Lone Ranger replies "I see millions of stars."

"And what does that tell you?" asks Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders this for a minute and then says "Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically speaking, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Why, what does it tell you, Tonto?"

Tonto fixes the Lone Ranger with a steely glare and replies "It tells that you are dumber than buffalo crap. It means that someone's stolen our tent!"
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: Good one, Dan!
Dan
Dan
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are trapped and surrounded by 1000 Indians. The Ranger says to Tonto, "It looks like we have big trouble and are going to die, Tonto". Tonto responds, "What you mean WE white man!!"
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
americanedgetech

Old Folder wrote:The Lone Ranger and Tonto went camping in the desert. After they got their tent set up, both men fell sound asleep.
Some hours later, Tonto wakes the Lone Ranger and says, "Kemo Sabe. Look towards the sky. What you see?"

The Lone Ranger replies "I see millions of stars."

"And what does that tell you?" asks Tonto.

The Lone Ranger ponders this for a minute and then says "Astronomically speaking, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically speaking, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Time wise, it appears to be approximately a quarter past three in the morning. Theologically, the Lord is all-powerful and we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, it seems we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Why, what does it tell you, Tonto?"

Tonto fixes the Lone Ranger with a steely glare and replies "It tells that you are dumber than buffalo crap. It means that someone's stolen our tent!"
If I had a million dollars, I couldn't buy such a hard laugh!!!
This was GREAT!
Ken Mc.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”