Torrey – Worcester MA (1858-1963)

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Torrey – Worcester MA (1858-1963)

Post by LongBlade »

One of my many favorite old MA companies is Torrey from Worcester MA - 1858-1963… The company was indeed well known for their razors and merged with William Cowlishaw and Joseph Turner in 1880 (both emigrated here from Sheffield)… Mr. Turner and Mr. Torrey were the main organizers of the new Torrey company… Prior to 1880 they were known for their razor strops and straight razors - razors were imported for sale from Sweden and England (and maybe Germany)… After 1880 they began to produce their own razors and some pocket knives… their pocket knives appeared to be far less numerous than razors and seems some if not all pocket knives were contracted out to companies such as Burkinshaw…. One thing I can say is that their pocket knives were no doubt of high quality just based on all I have handled… I have 4 Torrey knives to show on the thread with the following being the first…

MOP 4-Blade Senator - Engraved Aluminum Bolsters (3 & 5/8”)

IMO I believe this to be one of their earlier knives - a large 4 blade Swell-Center Senator at 3 & 5/8” long (it is not small and has some girth – probably should have included a ruler for reference) .. fancy engraved aluminum bolsters with a more unique design in a certain sense (remember back in the late 1800s aluminum when first used was valued in the same category as gold and silver)…. Somewhat of a different design on the aluminum bolsters compared to the aluminum-handled knives that I have or have seen from other companies… I really like their use of the brass pins which accentuates the middle of the flowers :) ) …. While the two master blades have long pulls note the pen and manicure blade sport nail nicks. All hard snapping blades and all blades fall into their respective slots in the frame with no problem – one issue is a small metal mite bite near the tip of one master blade… now I have read somewhere and than again heard separately from a experienced MA collector that Burkinshaw made a fair amount of Torrey pocket knives – indeed this one was most probably made by Burkinshaw as discussed when I picked it up at the last NCCA show …. (Just as an aside Burkinshaw also made knives for Osgood Bray & Co in MA – Burkinshaw knives were indeed a wanted commodity in those days by companies and individuals… and still nice to have today as well ;-))

I think a few others here on AAPK also like Torrey (Mike – galvanic1882 if I remember right also likes Torrey ;-) – if you would like to add your Torrey knives please do share them… I will also get my others up on this thread…
Closed Mark Side DSCN8546.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN8572.JPG
Blades Open DSCN8595.JPG
Bolster and Tang Stemp DSCN8649.JPG

Re: Torrey – Worcester MA (1858-1963)

Post by americanedgetech »

That is quite the special knife.
I have been trying to capture some of those early aluminum knifes because most people do not realize how valuable they were at that time. You HAD to have big denaro-s to own anything Al.. Adding to that , it was generally a jeweler that did the engraving. The material was too valuable/special to trust a run of the mill engraver.

I love it! Great knife!!! ::tu::

Just to venture a guess at age, I would think closer to the early 1950's. My great aunt had an Aluminum tray w/ 4 Al "Hi-Ball" glasses, and an Al. cocktail shaker.
The engraved pattern was very similar. I know this because my sister still has that set.
The earliest examples of the Al. knives were much more ornate.

Just my thoughts. I could be way off.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful, Lee, that is a first class piece of cutlery there. Congratulations on that one. ::tu::
Looking forward to seeing the others.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Ken and Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Ken - not sure with all due respect with it being a later knife for a few reasons despite it being similar to the aluminum tray of your great Aunt and now sister (it seems the design as you alluded to was used by the jewelers who probably did the work - many were flower-vine type patterns)... Also and probably more importantly I am not sure Torrey made knives after the early 1900s (and I have heard that from very respected knowledgable collectors) and aluminum was rarely used after that time period for knives, if at all - but this is only based on my looking into it - and no doubt I can be wrong... but this is only based on my reading and seeing knives with aluminum handles or bolsters... also based upon the trusted seller of the knife who is a MA collector ;-) ...

Post by Duffer »

I agree Lee that Torrey MOP senator is late 19th century perhaps very early 20th century but no later than that. By the way that is one wonderful vintage folder ::tu::
Lloyd
americanedgetech

LongBlade wrote:Thanks Ken and Joe ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Ken - not sure with all due respect with it being a later knife for a few reasons despite it being similar to the aluminum tray of your great Aunt and now sister (it seems the design as you alluded to was used by the jewelers who probably did the work - many were flower-vine type patterns)... Also and probably more importantly I am not sure Torrey made knives after the early 1900s (and I have heard that from very respected knowledgable collectors) and aluminum was rarely used after that time period for knives, if at all - but this is only based on my looking into it - and no doubt I can be wrong... but this is only based on my reading and seeing knives with aluminum handles or bolsters... also based upon the trusted seller of the knife who is a MA collector ;-) ...
Lee, I am 100% sure that you know way more about it than I do.
The ONLY reason I brought it up was because that pattern of the stylized suns is something that you do not easily forget.
Another reason I remember the pattern is because when I was 6 or 7 I used the tray as a frisbee, and caught my 4 year old brother on the forehead. ::dang::
I grew up w/ that set...

I trust your opinion far more than mine on this. No doubt! ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Lee, Excellent thread. Here's a small one etched TORREY'S BEST. I have others....somewhere? I know some were made by Empire.
Attachments
TORREY FT.jpg
Barry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks again all ::tu:: ::tu::

Ken - I am not more of an expert than you buddy... just opinions and guesses based on background ::handshake:: ::handshake:: ...

Thanks Lloyd for your opinion - much appreciated!!

Thanks Barry - and nice etched Torrey ::tu:: ::tu:: ... thanks for sharing that one ::tu::

Here's another Torrey - a Torrey Peanut or Serpentine Jack with etch as well :) ...
Blade Open DSCN3932.JPG

Thanks Lee!
I have to ask a question...

I JUST started collecting/learning, and searching.
Does this OCD kind of feeling ever wain? Or is it something that a knife nut has to live with? ::dang::

The collections of knives I have never heard of are almost limitless, and most if not all of the examples you fellas have are mind numbing!
Ken Mc.

LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I'm afraid you will have to live with it Ken ::nod:: :D ... but in my experience my selection of knives to buy has evolved in a certain sense - not so much focus as condition..... It's all about fun and if that is not there than I know it is time to stop :lol: :lol: .... of course one's wallet plays in to to that as well :wink: .... but there is so many types of collectors from different standpoints that honestly whatever you do is not wrong - it is whatever trips your trigger ::tu:: I personally like the focus many have on AAPK though it may not be my own - that is what makes knife collecting really interesting and I respect all of them!! In terms of finding knives - that is the hunt part which can sometimes really be great given the venue....

Cheers!
Lee

I understand every word of that Lee.
Thanks, and Cheers!

I'm going to find a sponsor now... ::mdm:: , and a Valium.
Ken Mc.

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great knives and another informative history lesson! ::tu:: Thanks Lee. 1fartsmella, very nice etched Torrey! ::tu::
Dan
Dan
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Dan ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful little serpentine jack, Lee. ::tu::
Joe
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Nice one Lee. Here's another one. A few years back (2010 - 2012) Knife World had an article about 2 unusual Empires. They had a unique patent for a semi automatic blade opening feature. One was a 2 blade pen knife. When closed, if you press on the pen blade, the master blade pops up about 1/4" so you can pinch the blade to open without using the nail nick. The same for the pen blade, press the master and the pen pops up. The only one I've ever seen is the one pictured in the article.
The other knife in the article was a unique cigar cutter pen knife. It has 3 blades, A cutting blade, a file, and a short little cigar cutter blade. Squeeze the file when closed, and the cigar cutter pops up. The cigar cutter only opens enough to fit a cigar tip.
A few weeks after I read the article, I found what I thought was this cigar cutter pen knife. (Yes, it was on ebay.) I wasn't sure until it was in my hand. Yes, it is the knife with the pop up cigar cutter, but this one is marked Torrey. I have yet to see another. Notice in the last scan, the file sits up slightly. A little squeeze and the cigar blade pops up to the open position.
Attachments
CIG CTR FT.jpg
CIG CTR BK.jpg
CIG CTR OPN.jpg
CIG CTR CLSD BK.jpg
Barry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Wow - what an a awesome knife Barry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... no doubt a unique opening mechanism but that knife has all one would want in one :) ... and cool history on the connection to Empire for that mechanism :wink: ..... hope to see you in Marlborough but when never knows these days....

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful knife and story, Barry. Thanks for posting that. ::tu::
Joe
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

I also have this Torrey Physicians knife. The pearl is cracked on both sides. Not many of these around, from the days when doctors made house calls. Likely by horse and buggy. I wonder how much of the visit was covered by insurance, and how much was the copay for a house call?
Attachments
TORREY RX FT.jpg
TORREY RX BK.jpg
Barry
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

1fartsmella wrote:I also have this Torrey Physicians knife. The pearl is cracked on both sides. Not many of these around, from the days when doctors made house calls. Likely by horse and buggy. I wonder how much of the visit was covered by insurance, and how much was the copay for a house call?
Maybe a basket of eggs.
Roger
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Wow some great knives posted guys. Here is my Torrey. I have a little brochure that shows razors and some knives I'll have to dig it out and take some pictures. The handles on this one are pressed horn. It's 4 1/2" closed. Sorry for the crappy pictures!
Attachments
torrey1.jpg
torrey2.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great old Drs knife Barry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... crack or not in MOP it has some nice blades....

Super Torrey Mike ::tu:: ::tu:: ... etch and all is really nice!!!

Thanks for sharing both those beauties.....
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mike ,that is some knife! ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Nice one Mike. I have one last Torrey. It's a pearl whittler. It came with a paper sticker on the back handle. Maybe it was a display case knife, or a sales mans sticker? The pearl is cracked in the back side. The stamp is different, TORREY is not inside a box. I would like to think it was made by Burkinshaw.
Attachments
TORREY WHITT FT.jpg
TORREY WHITT BK.jpg
Barry
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Everybody is posting high end knives. I'm enjoying the show and history lesson. Thanks
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Barry ::tu:: ::tu:: .... no doubt that was a Burkinshaw style with the the swell-center with that blade style - many were such in that $90K last sold display at auction....

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”