The WINTERBOTTOM Thread!!!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
ratlesnake75

Re: The WINTERBOTTOM Thread!!!

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, All the knives you guys have posted are Awesome!!! I really enjoy seeing this handle material, it never gets old too me. So many variations and colors, it looks dazzling.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Schatt Morgan Scout-1.jpg
Schatt Morgan Scout-2.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Here's a early one, I've had it for 20 years and it seems to be getting darker each year.
Attachments
IMG_6230.JPG
IMG_6229.JPG
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Great looking knife WelderBob... Here`s my Winterbottom PRESTO
Attachments
PRESTO%20WINTERBOTTOM%20BONE%20001.JPG
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, A Presto in Winterbottom,,,Awesome!!! What a killer looking cokebottle too WelderBob,,,,SMASHING Knives guys
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

My favorite handle material, here are a couple of Case Winterbottom Sunfish knives, a Case Bros Brown Winterbottom and a W R Case & Sons in Red Winterbottom.

Thanks for looking. ::tu::

Tom
Attachments
001.JPG
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Tom, I thought the top Case bros looks like Rogers bone to me,,,I certainly agree that is smashing Red Winterbottom on the bottom knife,,very rare to see that. Smashing knives
Kindest Regards,
Mark
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Here are my Winterbottom Queens: A hunting knife, a half congress, and my Grandfather’s English Jack.

Adam
Attachments
98F995BA-27EC-4162-BD57-1D8334E08067.jpeg
0E1999C5-A9A9-48BA-B6BD-FA02CB014FBC.jpeg
BAD701BD-D357-4FEE-95D4-0443AD4DCE51.jpeg
2E10E692-F58E-4999-83B5-4F7739763C6F.jpeg
EC23A165-E29C-41A5-A52E-FEBEAF2FAD49.jpeg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's the only knife i have with winterbottom scales. A W.R.Case and Sons 6393P.
Attachments
20171001_185451.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Mountainad82, you have some really nice knives.

Greg, I guess if your only going to have one that would be the one yo have.

::tu:: ::tu:: to both of you.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

espn77 wrote:Mountainad82, you have some really nice knives.

Greg, I guess if your only going to have one that would be the one yo have.

::tu:: ::tu:: to both of you.
Thanks Keith! It does hold a prominent position in the display case. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Now we are talkin the same language "display case" lol
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

espn77, thank you! Winterbottom Queen knives are my favorites. That english jack was my grandfather’s knife and the one that got me interested in knife collecting. He was killed in a coal mining accident in 1961. That knife was in his pocket when he was found. I received it from his brother when I was a boy in the 80’s. It is pretty rough but has a lot of sentimental value to me.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

mountainad82 wrote:espn77, thank you! Winterbottom Queen knives are my favorites. That english jack was my grandfather’s knife and the one that got me interested in knife collecting. He was killed in a coal mining accident in 1961. That knife was in his pocket when he was found. I received it from his brother when I was a boy in the 80’s. It is pretty rough but has a lot of sentimental value to me.
Oh wow, it amazes me how a knife can have such priceless value. It must feel good to have that knife.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I'm going to put these pics of a Hatch English Jack here, Mark informed me that he is pretty sure it is an example of Winterbottom stag.
Attachments
IMG_7354.jpg
IMG_7356.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey John, Thanks for posting the Hatch in this thread. I do think its a very early "Winterbottom" Genuine Stag handle. Its Wonderful to see pictures of Scarce unique jigging patterns and as time goes on,,,we can ADD more pictures of Similar bone/stag jigging for References and then maybe one day we will have a better understanding of "Winterbottom" as we do for "Rogers" bone.
Kindest Regards,
Mark
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Does anyone have "Schatt & Morgan or SXM" knives that have "Winterbottom" handles????
Kind Regards,
Mark
bigbore

Post by bigbore »

Winterbottom bone on 2 Queen Swingguard "EDC"
queen edc.jpg
Erwin
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

JohnR wrote:I'm going to put these pics of a Hatch English Jack here, Mark informed me that he is pretty sure it is an example of Winterbottom stag.
John,I believe yours knife predates Winterbottom bone company by quite a few years.If memory serves they started business about WWI.I remember reading something by Levine several years ago on the subject.According to Goins,Hatch dates 1885-99.I think your knife has original hand jigged bone. ::tu:: Some bone that is attributed to Winterbottom is it really Winterbottom or something similar?
Roger
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Peanut, I think this is WHY this thread is so valuable to the knife World & is why I posted it to begin with,,,it very much grasp my inner thoughts about Winterbottom handles.
Here in my book by Sargent,,,c1902-1903 is Red Winterbottom handles circled in Red.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
003.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, Now how far back does "Winterbottom" handles go??? Well guys, Lets take a look back into our history & discuss it,,,how about it guys? My 1st post will include our knife World Article Link below. Mr. Winterbottom was certainly in Egg Harbor city, NJ between 1885-1890. Anytime after this is possible for Winterbottom bone to be made. Now I also assume & want to mention,,,This particular pattern jigging was NOT Called Winterbottom at this time,,,but we can recognize it NOW as Winterbottom,,,In my Humble Opinion.
Kind Regards,
Mark

http://www.knife-expert.com/bonehand.txt

"A thumbnail history would start somewhere about 1885 when Samuel
Winterbottom left Sheffield for Philadelphia, leaving his wife and
three children behind. Sam's first job was peddling window glass in
the streets and glazing windows. One of his fellow peddlers
[supposedly] was Henry Disston, who was selling saws from a
wheelbarrow. In later years they joined forces and made special
circular saws for cutting bone. Some time before 1890, Samuel
Winterbottom moved to Egg Harbor City, New Jersey, and sent for his
family.
"In 1890 he set up his first shop ... Winterbottom Carter. S.W. was
the craftsman, Carter the desk man (book keeping). As time passed,
Samuel's four sons entered the business: Harry, Jack, Ernest, and Fred
(born in the U.S.)
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mark,you left out the next paragraph that said they stared making handles for knives and bayonets in 1917.
Roger
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

GREAT THREAD .... my PRESTO knife shown on the 2nd page was1940s. Here`s the guys
Attachments
winterbottom-pic6.png
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Peanut, Sorry I left that paragraph out buddy,,,didnt mean too. I really do feel that Case Winterbottom handles & their pictures in our knife books should support the idea of it being made well before WW1.

I do also agree with YOU Sir that Winterbottom will be called "Winterbottom" and it wont be authentic Winterbottom(Honestly Buddy, We even agree to disagree about this HATCH Knife & whether its bone or Genuine stag, LOL,,,This is too funny huh,,smiling laughing). The term "Rogers" bone has many variations also & is why most folks are Just plain Lost about whether its "Rogers Bone" or not. Its actually impossible to Verify its Authenticy as to whom made it. However, I do feel the more pictures we have available, The easier it will be to support our ideas of whether its Bone/Stag/Winterbottom/Rogers Bone or just plain old Wormgroove brown bone by Cattaraugus or is it??? LMAO

I do feel as time goes on,,,We can find similar knives w/ Similar jigging patterns and start piecing the evidence together. This is where we start buddy,,,A good Thread about what we Love & cherish. Having a strong appetite for Studying & Then maybe we can familiarize ourselves with what it should NORMALLY look like. I know its very easy to read into things & please never ever take offense to what I post on AAPK,,,I just trying to be helpful & learn as we go along. The way I take this paragraph below is Prior to WW1,,,The handles were done by HAND & Not machinery.
Kindest Regards,
Mark

"When the U.S. entered World War I [April 1917], the factory began
making handles for knives and bayonets. Carter, being of Quaker
belief, would have nothing to do with war materials and left the
company. Up to this time, most of the work was done by hand. Orders
were so heavy the brothers designed and hand built machines that kept
125 men working six days a week.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I have a few Winterbottom knives that I have acquired over the years. In my experience it comes in several different forms and colors but all are attractive to me. The 1st picture is 3 Tested Winterbottom knives. The other knives are mostly W R Case & Son with a couple of W R Case & Sons.
The 31 jack is actually a 6231 3/4 and the 35 has a really nice Saber blade, both unusual in my experience. In my experience the Red Winterbottom knives are all older than tested although the Brown Winterbottom shows up in the old W R Case & Sons knives as well.

Thanks for looking! ::tu::

Tom
Attachments
005.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
014.JPG

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”