Keen Kutter

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Berryb

Keen Kutter

Post by Berryb »

I got this knife a couple of weeks ago. 3 1/2 inches closed. As you can see it's seriously heavy duty (although not heavy duty enough for one of it's owners). I'm wondering about the CAC tang stamp on the main blade- just a C on the other side. At first I thought someone stamped it with their initials, but I don't see how that could be done without removing the blade. It doesn't look like that's what happened. Any Ideas? Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
Berryb

Re: Keen Kutter

Post by Berryb »

3 more.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Forgot to wait for them to load.
Attachments
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

It's a parts knife put together by someone who acted responsibly and marked his work. Keen Kutter never used a nail nick like that one. And the fit of the blade and spring also give it away. The pins don't appear to match... might be a different metal but I can't tell for sure without clearer photos. No shame in an honest representation of a repair that is not intended to deceive and only intended to make a broken tool useful again.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

How can you judge blade/spring fit from the views posted ? I need all blades open looking down on spine of knife to assess blade/spring match-up.
kj
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

kootenay joe wrote:How can you judge blade/spring fit from the views posted ? I need all blades open looking down on spine of knife to assess blade/spring match-up.
kj
Look at the first photo in the OP's 3rd post.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the proud spring belongs to the blade open at half stop and the spring associated with the master blade is behind and not visible.
kj
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

kootenay joe wrote:I think the proud spring belongs to the blade open at half stop and the spring associated with the master blade is behind and not visible.
kj
Yes, the spring sticking out furthest belongs to the blade at half stop. Look at the junction of the blade with the other spring.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The master looks like it has pulls on both sides and the sheepfoot has a funky pull also.It also doesn`t appear to be tang stamped.A Keen Kutter from that era should have all the blades stamped.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Look at the junction of the blade with the other spring"
Yes there appears to be a space but master blade might not have been opened fully. The picture does not show the blade-spring junction well enough for me to make an assessment. Yes there is a suspicion that blade-spring meeting is not good but the view i mentioned above(blades open, spine view) is necessary to properly assess.
kj
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

peanut740 wrote:The master looks like it has pulls on both sides and the sheepfoot has a funky pull also.It also doesn`t appear to be tang stamped.A Keen Kutter from that era should have all the blades stamped.
::tu::
kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "Look at the junction of the blade with the other spring"
Yes there appears to be a space but master blade might not have been opened fully. The picture does not show the blade-spring junction well enough for me to make an assessment. Yes there is a suspicion that blade-spring meeting is not good but the view i mentioned above(blades open, spine view) is necessary to properly assess.
kj
The photos aren't optimal. ...But better than what is typically shown on Ebay! :lol:
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Thanks for the responses. I tried to take some more photos of what closer looks were needed.
I have no problem with it being a garage made knife, in fact I like the home made stuff. I really don't see it in this one though, unless he sent for a specific blade from the factory. When it is closed everything fits together pretty tight for it to be just cobbled together at home. All the blades seem to be whittler style. Two blades are marked Keen Kutter. Thanks
Bruce
Attachments
DSC_0001-001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Ok; I looked closer, with better light and some magnification. There is evidence that the spear and sheep's foot are garage made. The sheep's foot looks like it was made from a file. What looked like an attempt to sharpen with a grinder are actually the marks left from making the blades from scratch. The guy was quite a craftsman. He cut nail marks and swedges. The tangs cut to match the springs, and the blades formed to drop into their slots perfectly. All re-assembled with little or no evidence of tampering. So anyway I like it. It's going on the top of the pile.
Bruce

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”