Hatch Mfg Company English Jack

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Hatch Mfg Company English Jack

Post by JohnR »

Despite some issues I picked up this pretty rare English jack from the Hatch Mfg Company Bridgeport CT, 4 1/2" long, pretty full blades excellent snap and no wobble but has been badly buffed and has a small bone repair.
From what I can find Hatch was only in business for about 5 years, 1895 to 1899 and then sold to the Challenge Cutlery Co, Bridgeport CT. I think this jack may be close to the end of Hatch production as he fonts on the tang stamps look very similar to each other.
Attachments
IMG_7354.jpg
IMG_7355.jpg
IMG_7366.jpg
IMG_7364.jpg
IMG_6725.jpg
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Hatch Mfg Company English Jack

Post by danno50 »

Buffed or not, beautiful old knife!, Very interesting bone. ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you Dan, at least its mechanically sound which for a 120 year old knife says something for the quality of its construction.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Very nice. I've never heard of them, let alone seen one of them until now. Absolutely gorgeous... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Very good looking old knife. I like the unique jig pattern.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey John, Awesome Hatch bro. I done a blog on Hatch many years ago on this thread below,, I also agree that the fonts & style of your stamping is towards the very end.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17721&p=239857&hilit=hatch#p239857
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thanks everyone, I also find the jigging unique, I would think it was done by hand.

Mark, thanks for the link, looks like Hatch used a few different tang stamps in their short time in business, this one is different than the others posted in your thread.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

JohnR wrote:Despite some issues I picked up this pretty rare English jack from the Hatch Mfg Company Bridgeport CT, 4 1/2" long, pretty full blades excellent snap and no wobble but has been badly buffed and has a small bone repair.
From what I can find Hatch was only in business for about 5 years, 1895 to 1899 and then sold to the Challenge Cutlery Co, Bridgeport CT. I think this jack may be close to the end of Hatch production as he fonts on the tang stamps look very similar to each other.
Hey John, I have been looking at this knife for awhile((lovely knife by the way)),,,,I honestly believe I have figured out why its handles are so different looking now or that the handles are "Unusual & Scarce". I have seen a couple knives in my past that has had similar handles John,,,,I just started a thread the other day about Winterbottom & I realized,,,,IMHO Sir,,,That this handle on your knife is "Winterbottom Stag". You will notice the "Burnt" edges and this normally happens too on Genuine stag((on purpose or in the Wild)).

I do believe that "Winterbottom Stag" was a "Trial & Error" at its beginning stages,,,ALL DONE BY HAND and not machinery. Please compare this knife's handle to the other "Winterbottom" knives in our thread. Just keep in mind, That "Stag or Bone" can be dyed in different colors,,,Its all about the Jigging pattern.
Kindest Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Mark, thank you for the information. I think you are correct, I went and took a close look at the knife and I'm not seeing any pores in the handle material that you would get from bone. The seller sold me the knife as stag but I just thought he did not know.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”