America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
ObsidianEdge

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Thanks Lee and LD. LD, that's a sweet pattern and knife you posted. It looks nice and rounded.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

wlf wrote:Barry, can you elaborate any on the bone on that Wester Bros?
Lyle, After comparing the Wester Bros with the 1908 NYK catalog cut, the jigging looks more like the Rough Cut jigging of the earlier NYK bone.
Now a closer look, the size of the Easy Open ease more closely matches NYK rather than Schrade.
It's difficult to tell the maker by the bone alone. Many of the Walden company's used the "Bone Shop" bone for handles back during this time period.
We learned the Bone Shop history from or buddy Eric over at BF a few years back.
Attachments
BHJKS W CUT.jpg
Barry
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

It is a pleasure to review this thread and see the fantastic old knives being posted. Below is a 4 1/4" NYK large cigar easy opener. The blades are on separate ends riding on single back spring. What's unusual (to me) is, in addition to the easy open cut-outs in the handles and liners, the secondary blade has a cut-out for the main blade easy open grab point. If you look close you can make out a very faint blade etch.
Attachments
NYK Hammer Brand Large Cigar EO Front & Back.jpg
NYK Hammer Brand Large Cigar EO Top & Bottom.jpg
NYK Hammer Brand Large Cigar EO #3 small.jpg
NYK Hammer Brand Large Cigar EO #4 small.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

What a great knife Jerry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... that cut out on the blade is unique to my eye as well 8) ... museum quality knife - like all I have seen from your collection ::nod:: ... thanks for sharing!!!

Post by FRJ »

Jerry, that knife is pretty neat.
I have never seen that grind on the back of a blade before.

Lots of beautiful knives here.
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Barry, No matter that is an excellent knife. I couldn’t remember where I read about the bone company before.

Jerry, I still have an affinity for the moose pattern, really any large single spring double ended jack. That NYK is tremendous, the etch is seen easily.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

That's an impressive knife on a lot of levels Jerry, and the notch makes it even more interesting. Quite the find.
Mike Robuck

RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Thank you everyone for the gracious comments on the NYK large cigar moose.

Are Little Valley, NY and Gowanda, NY are considered to represent "Little Sheffield"?
KAW

Post by KAW »

Some great first class knives being posted here... ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
Jerry... the NYKC with the easy open notch in the blade is the first I've seen like that... really neat! 8) ::tu::
The "Little Sheffield" area is traditionally described as in the Mid−Hudson River Valley region... about a 25 mile radius centered about Walden, NY. (NYKC, Walden KC, Schrade Cut Co)... so that includes Ellenville (Ulster, Schrade & Canal St. Cut), Napanoch & Honk Falls... plus smaller cutlers in Middletown, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, etc...

Great start to the New Year ::ds:: ...as I received this Napanoch Lobster yesterday (I really like this pattern) ::groove:: ...
11135 11139 11137 11138

Also last week, I received this early (1946−60) Schrade Walden №896K with celluloid "Butter & Molasses" handles which appears to be unused...
11116 11117

::groove:: Happy New Year to all! ::groove::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Nice Ken. I like the Schrade pattern and that's a really neat Napanoch lobster.
Mike Robuck

wlf

Post by wlf »

I’m nearly obsessed with knife handles and those early pick bones are about my favorites Ken and the butter and molasses aint bad.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knives, Ken. Good show. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

KAW wrote:Some great first class knives being posted here... ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
Jerry... the NYKC with the easy open notch in the blade is the first I've seen like that... really neat! 8) ::tu::
The "Little Sheffield" area is traditionally described as in the Mid−Hudson River Valley region... about a 25 mile radius centered about Walden, NY. (NYKC, Walden KC, Schrade Cut Co)... so that includes Ellenville (Ulster, Schrade & Canal St. Cut), Napanoch & Honk Falls... plus smaller cutlers in Middletown, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, etc...

Great start to the New Year ::ds:: ...as I received this Napanoch Lobster yesterday (I really like this pattern) ::groove:: ...
11135 11139 11137 11138

Also last week, I received this early (1946−60) Schrade Walden №896K with celluloid "Butter & Molasses" handles which appears to be unused...
11116 11117

::groove:: Happy New Year to all! ::groove::
Beautiful knives and that Lobster is gorgeous!!
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Ken, beautiful knives. ::tu:: The Napanoch looks like it would require significant expertise to make.

Thanks for the clarification regarding Little Sheffield - it will help me stay on topic :)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's my first stamped Napanoch knife. I think I like it. :D
Attachments
DSCN5190.JPG
DSCN5192.JPG
DSCN5199.JPG
DSCN5202.JPG
DSCN5205.JPG
DSCN5210.JPG
Joe
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very impressive Joe.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Joe,I would too! ::tu::
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you James and Roger. ::tu::
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Congratulations Joe!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
If this is the same knife that was recently auctioned on Ebay, then your photos are far better than what the seller had posted! He did describe the handles as pearl, but they looked like ivory in his shots...

...and as I have already mentioned on the previous page [edited]... I really do like the lobster pattern to the point that I've been tempted to consider carrying it, but it is just too historic a piece for me to do so... ::shrug::
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Ken. ::tu::

Since you like the Lobster pattern have you looked at any Orange Blossoms?
They are a $tep up but very nice knives. And great history too. ::nod::
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Lovely Joe.

Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lyle.
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

FRJ wrote:Since you like the Lobster pattern have you looked at any Orange Blossoms?
They are a $tep up but very nice knives. And great history too. ::nod::
I have to admit... I had to look up what an Orange Blossom was... :oops:
Now knowing that the pattern was originally associated with NY Knife Co... it looks like I have another quest to seek...
Thanks Joe...
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

I've been wondering for a while now if NY Knife Co. had ever made a fish knife (Texas Toothpick / Tickler) as I had not come across one virtually or in the real world... until one finally showed up on the Bay last week in not too bad condition... there turned out to be very little interest in it so I got it for cheap...

with red "swirl" celluloid handles & what looks to be 177(?) stamped on the pile side of tang...also noted no "Hammer Brand" logo...
11176 11177 11178
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Initially I was considering posting the Schrade SFO's & Scrimshaws I have accumulated so far... but being from the 70's thru the 90's maybe it would be more appropriate to leave them for the Schrade Legacy Forum... but I think it is important to mention their 100th anniversary in 2004... bittersweet as it is since it is also the year they went out of business... I've been on the quest for one of their 100th year limited editions with complete packaging for quite some time now... one finally fell into my hands this past week... a 34OT in a tin with a photo of the original factory that was in Walden ([edit] burned down in 1958)... also found a 100th year money clip still in its original plastic... never opened...

also wanted to include another special 2004 edition...
each year the Village of Ellenville would go all out to put on their 4th of July festival with a grand parade & fireworks show. When Schrade relocated there... to help defray the cost of the festival... they would donate a limited edition of about a couple hundred knives designed for each year's festival to the village... who in turn would raffle them off... so below is the green bone peanut they issued in 2004... they closed their doors on July 30th... right to the end they were a class act with real sense of community support...
'til later....
Ken

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”