America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
KAW

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by KAW »

Thanks all for the kind comments. :D
[Edit] I starting to think that the double pull on the master blade of the Ulster whittler was not originally intended. I'm thinking the nail nick was added after discovering the blade can not be opened by the match pull. As try as I might, I can not get the blade to open by the pull so close to the tang... the double spring is way too stiff.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Picked up a Honk Falls nutter. Only about 2 1/2” closed. Very strong little knife.
BD5DE6F1-E79D-4F17-BF9E-F7168EFEC971.jpeg
KAW

Post by KAW »

James... Very nice... & no doubt pretty rare! I just found an Ulster nutter on eBay that explains what a nutter is... ::uc::
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

So ... this rooster walks in to the bar and the bartender says " why the long face"? ....................
Joe
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks Ken. I have two friends who have a Honk Falls nutter in their collection. I have see another one on the web. That makes four with mine. That actually makes this pattern the most common one I have seen. The seller I purchased this nutter from has sold me several honks that were dead mint and crazy rare finds. When he offered to sell this nutter he said the same thing. That it is very rare and he proceeded to double the price of the previous knives?? I did not argue though, he was on the fence about letting it go. What can you do. It’s an unused honk, clear tang stamp and pulls a little hard like it just came from the factory. Just bit the bullet and sent the loot.
Joe I’m cant figure out if that rooster joke is missing a beginning or an end but it’s funny.
KAW

Post by KAW »

I see there's a recently active thread about Ulster knives, but decided to selfishly post to my own... :mrgreen:

Just came back from a trip to Virginia. Little did I expect to find a small treasure of Ulster knives while hitting the antique shops there.

...but first an eBay acquisition I made just before leaving & was waiting for me upon my return...
this gentleman's pen knife come in at just under 3" with a file opposite the pen blade.
The seller claims the handle is faux tortoise shell, but how can you tell?

Then while down in Virginia I found this neat ole Ulster barlow with bone handles. Altho the main spear blade has lost all its snap, both blades look nearly full...

10858 10859

...and then this Dewight Devine & Sons Ulster Boy Scout knife in really fine shape (far better condition than the Ulster Scout I posted earlier in this thread!) Since Devine reorganized the company to include his sons in 1926, I'm assuming this tang stamp dates from then until his sons sold the company to Baer in 1941. So would that mean the Ulster Knife Co. tang stamp without the Devine & Sons name would pre-date 1926 such as the two examples above?

... then I found a couple of Schrade's Ulster line stockman patterns. The smaller №355S at 3¼" and without a shield in the "black stagged" handles is actually older (mid−50's) but I believe was never carried... while the larger 4" №98 with "Genuine Staglon® handles is from the late 1960's until the line was discontinued in 1972.

... so there you go.... 5 Ulsters... all very reasonably priced... and I found a Prince Albert tobacco tin with the Ulster "Old Timer" knives offer for only $4... ::groove::

Now I just have to get the knives... which have gone for some outrageous sums of $$$ on eBay lately... ::mdm::
... not to mention bringing home a Schrade Scrimshaw Outdoors series display case I now need to fill... the quest goes on...
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice knives you got there, Ken. And neat tobacco tin too.

Here is a very nice New York Hammer Brand pen knife. No half stops. 3 5/16" closed.
Attachments
DSCN2987.JPG
DSCN2992.JPG
DSCN2997.JPG
DSCN2999.JPG
DSCN3002.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here is a sweet little Wharncliffe shadow pen.
New York Knife Co. Walden. 2 15/16" closed.

Mark side appears to be cracked or scratched. It isn't. That just rubbed off. Wish I had seen that before the glamour shot.
Attachments
DSCN2971.JPG
DSCN2972.JPG
DSCN2978.JPG
DSCN2982.JPG
DSCN2984.JPG
Joe
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Joe very nice/attractive Vintage Hammer Brand & NYKC Pen Knives ::tu:: ::tu:: Nicely Photographed also!
Lloyd
KAW

Post by KAW »

Joe It has to be more than coincidence that you posted on my birthday... :D
Yes that's some very nice bone on that very traditional looking NYK pen knife...
& the MoP Wharncliffe shadow pen has some real character to it.

Also more than coincidence is after ogling after the Kingston you posted early on in this thread, I came across a similar one at an antique show at the Warren County fairgrounds in NJ at the end of last month. Just imagine my delight.... ::ds::

Actually I really hit the jackpot that day... one dealer had some pocket folders thrown into a box on a table & I decided to sort through them. Not only did I find the Kingston... but this 80 to 90 year old Dwight Devine & Sons' Ulster equal end cattle knife with MoP handles. The blades edges still sharp enough that I've been carrying it ever since. ::super_happy::

10905 10904

... then I found a rare one to boot... a Wardlow Cutlery Co. / Walden NY jack. Don't know anything about this one. Definitely has seen some hard times and I usually stay away from such worn out knives but the mystery as well as someone bothering to sharpen the secondary blade right down to the nail nick intrigued me. Besides I couldn't pass on the $20 price for all three.... ::groove::

10907 10906 10908
'til later....
Ken

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice finds Ken and Joe ::tu:: ::tu::

Might as well throw this Ulster in here :)
Attachments
13-1.jpg
AAPK Janitor
BWT

Post by BWT »

Very nice Dimitri, there is nothing not to like about that one!!
Bill
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Bill!
AAPK Janitor
KAW

Post by KAW »

Dimitri... Thanks for adding another fine example of a classic Ulster knife... ::tu:: 8)

To all that are viewing this... post them if you got them... :wink:
'til later....
Ken

LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thats one nice hefty looking dog leg Dimitri ::tu:: .. nice bone too ::nod::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Ken and Lee!
AAPK Janitor
wlf

Post by wlf »

Some great knives in this thread.

Old Ulster 4" farmers jack, plus a few other Ulsters. The last being mine and Dale's infamous Ulster Nkife Co knives.
Attachments
Ulster 19th cen unused.jpg
Ulster stag (3).jpg
Ulster Knife Co later bone296.jpg
Ulster Knife Co early bone391.jpg
Ulster Knife Co  NY  Glitter cell487.jpg
Ulster misspelled (5).JPG
Ulster misspelled (2).JPG
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Some real beauties Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... seems that Ulster put some real effort in making farmers jacks based on this variety?? Did other companies make such a variety in terms of different handles? And was the pattern primarily American made?

I digress here abit and this should be in Lamb Foot thread but... Interesting to me that the Lamb Foot was a British horticultural pattern that is still sold in England well over 100 years later and used there still to this day... to that point a British good buddy of mine from fly fishing (not at all a knife collector) when asked about lamb foot knives says he remembers them from his younger days from work around the garden and still today knows many that use them (but he never heard of a farmers jack).. as you know A Wright & Son cutlery which is one of just a few remaining cutleries in Sheffield still makes them (though have read mixed reviews of their knife quality)..

Post by BWT »

Very nice Lyle, thanks for sharing those ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
wlf

Post by wlf »

LongBlade wrote:Some real beauties Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... seems that Ulster put some real effort in making farmers jacks based on this variety?? Did other companies make such a variety in terms of different handles? And was the pattern primarily American made?

I digress here abit and this should be in Lamb Foot thread but... Interesting to me that the Lamb Foot was a British horticultural pattern that is still sold in England well over 100 years later and used there still to this day... to that point a British good buddy of mine from fly fishing (not at all a knife collector) when asked about lamb foot knives says he remembers them from his younger days from work around the garden and still today knows many that use them (but he never heard of a farmers jack).. as you know A Wright & Son cutlery which is one of just a few remaining cutleries in Sheffield still makes them (though have read mixed reviews of their knife quality)..
The pattern seems most prevalent around the last quarter up till the depression, and with the decline of the knife industry and industrialization, so the decline in pocket knives that had an exclusive niche.

Schrade offered the greatest variety of farmers jacks and several handle choices over the years.I have never considered the variety of handle choices only. Walden made them in various handle materials as did Camillus . Utica was a prolific jobber and maker.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle ::tu:: ... I think I forgot to note in the question a variety of handles "and secondary blade"s - to the point of blades which I feel are more important I see some are a larger pen blade while others were "rooster combs" as you call them... I think I did tell you about the mint Empire Farmers Jack but never had the chance to photograph it for you and I may not ever see it again... I know a few companies in CT made Farmers jacks but finding one has been most difficult... as you note most FJs I have seen were Schrade - makes sense now that you note it...

I'm not looking to collect FJs but for my horticultural knife subcollection from New England or Sheffield makers I would just like to land one someday - patience is a virtue in knife collecting :D ... and that patience has paid off for me in the past and so I await the day when one from the right maker in good condition presents itself to me - and begs me to take it home ::nod::

Post by wlf »

As far as I’ve ascertained, only Camillus,Schrade,Utica, and Wostenholm made the rooster combs with the modified flat blade. Although Wostenholm’s secondary blade was a little different, as seen in the catalog below.

Camillus may be the earliest example of such, according to stamping dates by Goins. I have one example that has a pre (3 line )1919 pruning blade and a 1919 (4 line )flat . Schrade's examples did not appear in their catalogs until 1936, although the farmers jack appeared the the 1932 Schrade supplement.

All other farmers jacks had only the spey as a budding blade, even though some used examples might resemble a pen blade.
Attachments
Wostenholm 1930s brochure.jpg

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle - nice historical background and very helpful seeing the catalog cut ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Much appreciated!!

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lyle, for the brand - date connection. ::tu::
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Luv the Ulster farmers jacks Lyle. ::tu:: 8)
I just went back through the entire thread thinking that you had posted some Schrades farmers jacks previously, but sadly I didn't find any. Would really like to see some of those as well. Would be neat to compare them to the Ulsters you posted.
'til later....
Ken

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”