America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
FRJ

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by FRJ »

What a beautiful group of knives, Lloyd. All so clean and in such good condition. ::tu::
I especially like the second knife down with the swell back frame and the lined and slanted bolsters. And the fabulous covers.
And that curved back gunstock. Beautiful covers on that knife too. A great show of really beautiful knives.
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's an old New York Hammer dogleg. 3 13/16" closed.
Attachments
DSCN9607.JPG
DSCN9611.JPG
DSCN9612.JPG
DSCN9617.JPG
DSCN9622.JPG
DSCN9624.JPG
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

What a great assortment of celluloids you have there Lloyd. ::tu::
The first one with the blue rings, I thought was a bit unusual.

Joe, that's a mighty fine lookn' dogleg you have there. ::tu::

I got one more old Schrade Cutlery Co. to show & its another celluloid.... a 4" Premium Stockman − № 8803G.... I have shown it elsewhere, but need to post it here as it is my favorite pride & joy.... even tho it is some 80+ years old.... it looks unused and like it was just made yesterday! ::groove::
10052 10053
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful celluloids KAW and Lloyd, never get tired of seeing your celluloid collection, Lloyd! ::tu:: ::tu:: Very nice NYK Hammer Brand, Joe! ::tu::
According to the dates given in Sellens, the Keen Kutters below should have all been made in Walden.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG1080.JPG
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Ken. And a very nice stockman you have there. ::tu::

Thanks, Dan, you sure have a good looking group of knives there. ::tu::
Joe
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Nice knives, guys.

I like the generous size of the blade on this EC Simmons Keen Kutter.
IMG_1400.jpg
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks guys for the kind remarks on my Schrade celluloid folders!

Joe that NYKC HB dog leg Jack exudes quality and the bone handles are fabulous! Dan just a great display of original condition non messed with Keen Kutters ::tu:: KAW a gorgeous large Premium Stockman--timeless beauty and so well preserved! ST a very nice KK Jack and in such great non boosted original condition--just like I like them when I can find them ::nod::
Lloyd
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Thank you, Lloyd. Your collection of celluloid knives are an eyeful... like brightly colored candies. A real treat. It's unfortunate that none of the modern synthetics have been able to recreate shell celluloid. Such a beautiful material.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great looking Keen Kutter, supratentorial. It's nice to see the old ones with lots of blade. ::tu:: And beautiful skins.

Thank you, Lloyd. It has some blade loss but what personality. ::woot::
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Thanks for the kind comments Lloyd and Joe. Supratentorial, ditto what Lloyd and Joe said! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Thank you, guys. I'm enjoying all of your photos! ::tu::
KAW

Post by KAW »

supratentorial wrote:It's unfortunate that none of the modern synthetics have been able to recreate shell celluloid. Such a beautiful material.
Oh.... I don't know.... I think this Canal Street Cutlery Stockman holds up pretty well in craftsmanship when compared to the venerable Schrade.... but of course.... Canal Street Cutlery sadly is no longer around either.... ::teary_eyes::
10055 10054
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks guys for the kind remarks on the ole Schrade Stockman.... she certainly raises the bar for anything better to come along....

Dan & supratentorial.... you have made my day with those Keen Kutters from Walden! ::tu:: :D 8) ::groove::
Gettin' one of those is becoming my "grail" quest... ::paranoid::

Like I said.... that was the last of the old Schrade Cutlery knives in my collection.... so if you have noticed my pattern here.... I orchestrate the posting of my knives like a fireworks show.... one at a time & then.... the Grand Finale.... ::lightening::
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knives, Ken. ::tu::
That Canal Street with the long bolsters is a looker.

Here's a little Schrade Walden stockman.
Attachments
DSCN9683.JPG
DSCN9685.JPG
DSCN9693.JPG
DSCN9696.JPG
DSCN9702.JPG
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

KAW, great grand finale pic for your old Schrades! ::tu:: Lovely Schrade, Joe, very nice wood handles! ::tu::
Dan
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Dan & Joe for the kind words....
Joe... I found your nice little Stockman in the 1957 catalog....
ShchradeWalden832.jpeg
....bet you wish you could have got it for that price?!

Well.... I've come to my first fork in the thread.... do I continue with Schrade's history into the Schrade Walden era.... of which I don't have any sure representative samples of those made in Walden before that factory burned in 1958.... forcing the decision to move the operation to Ellenville.... or.... do I stick closer to the timeline and start at the beginning in Ellenville....

Since either way I'm gonna end up in Ellenville, I might as well start with the first company to establish themselves there.... Ulster Knife Co....
The first few years did not seem to go very smoothly for the fledgling company until it was managed by one person....
1871: The Ellenville Co-Operative Knife Co. sets up shop in the old Ellenville Iron Works, also known as the Bloomer Foundry on Canal Street.
1875: The Ellenville Co-Operative Knife Co. reorganizes as the Ulster Knife Co. with several partners at the helm.
1878: Dwight Devine takes contol of Ulster Knife Co.
1880: Fire destroys Ulster Knife plant, but is soon rebuilt. The rebuilt factory works on Canal Street still exists today.

As Dimitri pointed out to me on another thread.... this happens to be a worn down hawkbill.... to be honest I was hoping it was a rope knife.... don't know how old this ole Ulster is.... but appears to done some hard time in its day....
10282 10284 10286
10287 10283 10285
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Dan and thanks Ken. ::tu:: ::tu::
Hey, that's a pretty neat little catalog cut. ::nod::
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Joe.... You can find the catalogs at: http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... /index.htm
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks a lot, Ken. That's great. ::tu::
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

So here are two Ulster Knife TL-29 electricians knives I had picked up early on in my collecting spree.... The top one without a shield at 3½" is slightly smaller than the 3¾" one below.... Again, the top on has all steel liners including the liner lock, where as the one below is all brass.... So the question is.... are the differences between the two due to age or are they contemporaries but at different price levels?... & if so, about what time period?... As always.... this inquiring mind wants to know.... ::hmm:: :wink:
10137 10138
10140 10141 10139
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I can't tell you anything about your two Ulster knives, Ken, except that they seem much bigger than my Empire electrician knives.
The Empires seem more slender.

Here's another Wallkill River Works folder that I just got. Bought from a fellow member of the forum who has a keen eye for knives.
In my research I found it was owned by another member too.

This is a very nice and solidly made pen. Rosewood or perhaps Cocobolo covers. I'm probably misspelling that.
Half stops on both blades and very snappy. I'm very happy to have this handsome little knife. 3 5/16".
Attachments
DSCN9830.JPG
DSCN9833.JPG
DSCN9840.JPG
DSCN9845.JPG
Joe
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Very pretty equal-end pen Joe! The covers are beautiful. They look like Rosewood to me but that is just a guess based on a couple of knives I have with similar looking colors.
Lloyd
KAW

Post by KAW »

Congrats on your newly found prize, Joe!.... it surely is a sweetie! 8)
.... and since that brand was onlty around for three years.... I bet its pretty rare too! :wink:
Thanks for posting it here.... ::tu::
'til later....
Ken

Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here is a Schrade Cut Co. EE small Jack I recently acquired in stainless steel. It is 3 & 3/8 inches closed. I found it in the Schrade Cutlery Company catalog E 1926 page 23. It is pattern no. 2563. Although this catalog does not specifically identify SS available in this pattern. On page 10 under "Key To Numbering System" (i) "SS" prefixed to a number indicates a knife with Stainless Steel Blades and Springs. Question? when was stainless steel introduced and for how long before it was discontinued back in the day? I know that SS was not initially popular when introduced so relatively few knives were probably made.

This example is in high grade condition with little evidence of much use. It has been sharpened post factory but there is no blade loss that I can tell. It has superb W&T. The blade well is absolutely pristine and there is no hint of corrosion, staining or discoloration anywhere probably because of the higher chromium content. Much of the original polish on the blades is still present.
Attachments
IMG_1512.jpg
IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1513.jpg
IMG_1514.jpg
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lloyd and Ken.

Lloyd, that is a beautiful little knife.
Beautiful Schrade covers and I like to see that long pull on the shorter knives. Very nice. ::tu::
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”