America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by Miller Bro's »

I get Kaleb to repair all my switches :wink:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1278
AAPK Janitor
wlf

Post by wlf »

Very nice Ulster Ken.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Sorry JAMESC41001, previously missed that nice old ebony Honk Falls jack! ::tu::
Nice knives, Ken, expecially the Napanoch pen and the pearl Ulster toledo! ::tu::
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks all for the complements... I decided to place the tuxedo on my antique secretary desk next to the MoP handled fountain pen.

I also came across this "Baer" period Ulster № 63... while not as grandiose as the older tuxedo... it features a blade combination I have not seen before... 2 different size clip blades & a coping pen (first time I have come across this blade type). The 1959 catalog calls this a whittler... but not like any other whittler I have seen. In 1953, they called it a balloon pattern, but I think this pertained to the center swell handle than the blade combo.

Can someone tell me if Bonite was brown or black in color?

'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
KAW

Post by KAW »

Well I guess we're up to the Schrade−Walden period. Unfortunately, I have not yet to take any photos of my SW's...
but I do have one I took of a Schrade−Walden pattern № 879... a version of the 4" Stockman that appears to have been discontinued after 1965.
(BTW, what is the difference between patterns 879, 880 & 881?)

The photo is intended as a comparison between the 879 & the older Schrade Cutlery Co. pattern № 8803G... a 4" Stockman with "green pearl" celluloid handles I had posted earlier in the thread... now to get busy taking some more photo...

10249 10250
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

OK.... its a drab, deary, cold rainy day, but I'm not home either to get to the rest of my collection...
so I took a picture of my EDC (well my weekend carry at least as my new job does not allow pocket knives)...

a Schrade Walden 234K... a 3-5/16" Jack with Butter & Molasses (K-Horn) handles
...and an antique brass-plated magnfier with 15/16" dia. glass & a pivoting brass cover also I carry... especially when antique shopping. ::groove::

'til later....
Ken

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Ken that's a really neat magnifying glass, nice knife too! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Nice glass Ken. Beats the heck out of what I’m using. Enjoy looking at the knives your posting. Here is a cut co and SW. two long pulls.
D447F2AB-9A3C-42F9-B216-67A34DC0C844.jpeg
B419BDFC-FA31-4205-8AFA-A7FC879DB468.jpeg
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Dimitri & Jay

Jay... If that bare-end jack didn't have the SW stamp, I'd swear it was 50 years older, but in really pristine condition! ::uc::
A really classic pattern I didn't think they still made by the 2nd half of the century. ::hmm:: ::tu:: 8)
... of course... the equal end jack with those bolsters & shield is a classic too! :D
'til later....
Ken

JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

I hear ya Ken. I think the same thing every time I pick it up. Seems like the stamps should be reversed on those two. The equal end jack is spotless. Picture naturally doesn’t do it justice.
KAW

Post by KAW »

With the Schrade Waldens... I've started an attempt to put a collection together of the ones that were offered in the clear plastic tubes...
this is what I've gathered so far:
> 718RB, with a faint "Razor Blade Stainless" etch on the clip. (if you look hard enough... possible to make out in the group shot, but not in the solo.)
> 808Y, a junior stockman with yellow scales.
> 825RB, with a very nice etch.
>34OT, until I came across this one... I didn't know the Old Timer knives were offered in the clear tubes. I thought they all came in the faux wood-grain box... ::hmm:: (While I did not take a photo... the little tab of the insert is stamped "34OT" at the end of the tube... so it is with its legitimate package... just in case you were wondering.)

10679 10680
10676 10677
10678 10675
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice Schrade Waldens, Ken, I like the butter and mollases! ::tu:: Very nice pair of knives, James, especially the bone handled bare head! ::tu::
Dan
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks Dan, glad you dig them. Ken that is lofty undertaking. I think there are a bunch of them. And there are always the one or two elusive ones. But that sure is a great start for sure. This is such a great thread. It covers such a long period of time with many of the great knife companies. Here are a few that cover a big span of the time. I want to use the same whittler pattern although I’m not really sure if the cut co is considered a whittler?? The Schrade curved stamp is from the early days naturally and the canal street is about 100 years later give or take. It has a Walden tang but it’s CSC. If anyone else will show a Hudson Valley pattern through the years I think it would be awesome!
97911825-C6E0-4E39-B26F-F5615EB531F7.jpeg
4A836DA6-9120-4E80-A680-726BF7AE63E3.jpeg
34B9FBFA-E5D4-4612-9236-6ECA7E68180B.jpeg
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

James and Ken nice folders!

James, that early Schrade is definitely in the Whittler configuration or pattern! A non bolster shadow pattern Whittler. The master or primary blade on the front pivot and two smaller blades (or pen blade and nail file) on the rear pivot. Is it a split back Whittler with a wedge between the springs and the front primary blade riding on both springs? How long is the folder/Whittler? If you could show photos of the bottom of the knife and also the tang stamp closer up that would be great. Those pick bone handles are certainly in the Schrade early style and the handle pins look hammered and not spun which is certainly correct for the vintage era of the folder. It is a great folder either way and very rare if I am seeing the tang stamp correctly ::nod:: !
Lloyd
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks Lloyd, I’ll measure it and take some more pics. It is a curved stamp Schrade. Some people call it an arched stamp. 1904-1917 I believe are the years. Someone said it’s a sleavboard pattern. I guess I can see that. I understand all the terms you mentioned except the shadow part. Can you explain what that means. I’ve heard the term before. Never understood what it means. Thanks.
Jay
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

James, a shadow pattern folder is where the folder has NO bolsters or is bolsterless. Yours looks like it is somewhat of a subtle sleeve board design. I would call yours then a sleeve board shadow pattern Whittler. Could be a split back if it has a wedge separating the springs although some Whittler patterns are not spilt back. Some say the shadow pattern is a weak design without the rigidity the bolsters add. However, if the front pivot pin is correctly peened and the tang fitted well to the handles it can be a pretty strong folder especially with modern synthetic handles. Probably not so much on a 100+ year old folder with stressed bone.
Lloyd
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Lloyd, couple more pics.
C9EA0450-8366-4F10-97A3-F328456673D4.jpeg
FDC2F74B-BE84-4B18-9D45-10BDE1D280F3.jpeg
9FB98F36-1F95-431B-A3FC-8D06CEEC7767.jpeg
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Yup James that is a split back Whittler pattern small shadow folder. The tang stamp shows it to be an early Schrade! Very nice and rare ::tu::
Lloyd
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice whittler, there. ::tu::
Joe
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks guys. Special knife. Was a gift from a good friend.
Jay
KAW

Post by KAW »

WOW!... I really need to get back here more often!...
Llyod... Thanks for defining what a shadow pattern folder is... that's why I find this board so fascinating... I'm always get to expand my knowledge.
Jay... Those are some really neat knives. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any description about the 3rd knife with the very distinctive file blade. BTW, I really do dig the old vs new photos... I did a similar comparison between a Schrade Cut. Co. & Canal Street Cut. stockmans I have...

10054 10055
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Beside the Schrade Walden knives I have in the tubes... I also picked up a 1972 Schrade Walden retail display case I am also on a mission to fill with NOS specimens correct for the period. So far... I have only the 8OT & 34OT... the 25OT slot is currently occupied by a 225H & the 15OT slot is being kept "warm" by a 148 until I can acquire the proper knives... and with the empty slots yet to fill, I'm getting a sense this might end up being a long term project... plus I keep getting distracted by all these other great knives out there... (prelude to my next post.)

'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks to Roger (peanut740)... today I became the proud owner of this Dwight Devine & Sons' Ulster splitback whittler...
pattern №31550X @ 3⅝" closed with horn handles (1926−41)... ::ds:: I've been drooling all day! ::drool::
P.S. My photos really don't do the horn handles justice... ::sotb:: ::facepalm:: ::td::
[Edit] I guess I should mention that is a newly acquired folding rule... 12" C−S Co. (Chapin−Stephens) of Pine Meadows, Conn. (1901−29) № 65.

10731 10732
10733 10734
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Returning with a vengence!!! ::super_happy:: ...FOUR posts in a row...

Back in April, I attended my first knife show and the Lehigh Valley Knife Show's first spring-time show. There was a dealer that had a dozen or so old knife boxes he was selling for $80 a piece... New York Knife Co., Keen Kutter, & others... for the old Schrade Cutlery he wanted $90. Seemed a bit much to me, but I'm new to this hobby & this was my first exposure to these types of items. It seems odd to me that the boxes should sell for as much as the knives that came in them! ::shrug::

Later on that afternoon, I stopped in an antique shop in a nearby town and found an Ulster Knife Co. box for only $14. Granted it does not have any fancy graphics on it, but needless to say it came home with me as my real prize of the day. It doesn't show up in the photo but on the side label it is printed with the Supplee-Biddle Hardware Company (Philadelphia) as the retailer... which supports the time period for the box to be between 1914−41.

'til later....
Ken

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice knives Ken!

You made a good score on that Ulster box ::tu::
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”