America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
FRJ

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by FRJ »

I notice, too, that the hafting is flat at the spring on the larger knife.
Are these Honk Falls knives?
Is this a way Honk Falls would have hafted their knives?
Joe
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

These are both honks Joe in this case the farmers jack is meant to have the squared bolsters.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

This is a catalog pic of a farmers jack that Napanoch made for Hickory. It is similar to Honk Falls farmer jack. I have seen two. The person who sold me mine and the owner of the other one both say they were recovered from the fire and auctioned off with other salvaged contents. 4-5 of these were at all be auction. Not sure how many were made.
Jay
E90D9C0E-17B9-4EF6-B949-01BB4749D376.jpeg
wlf

Post by wlf »

The Honk Falls and Napanoch are not farmers jacks, but typical of a wharncliff pattern, with a Wharncliff blade. The typical farmers jack has a primary pruning blade and a secondary spey blade.

Those are lovely knives though.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Sounds about right Lyle. To me it looks like a Wharncliff blade on a farmers jack frame so I just took to calling it it a farmers jack. Here is a big old ebony hack honk. It’handfull in pretty nice shape.
Jay
1F2FE5B2-8772-43BD-9DE7-43F7B8ECCCC2.jpeg
KAW

Post by KAW »

Well i'm back after a protracted absence due to starting a new job that drastically altered my lifestyle (night shift). Now adjusted & getting back on track financially (including acquiring a few new additions to the ole knife collection)... was unemployed for 6 months before the new job. I'm finding time to visit the board again. It does feel good to be back.... Glad to see there is still interest in keeping this thread alive.... and what timing....

::welcome:: Jay... those Honk Falls knives are real nifty... and those photos of the factory are great. Been searching for a nice representative specimen myself, but they are pretty rare & what ones I've found available have been pricey.

I have recently acquired my first Napanoch knife which I'm tickled to death about... its a small pen knife... but I luv the bone on this one... both blades have the classic Napanoch arched tang stamp... looks to be little used if at all...

'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Welcome back to the forum, Ken.
I'm glad things have improved in your life and that you can contribute to the forum again. ::tu::
That's a great looking little pen you have there.
Joe
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Hey Ken, good to hear from you. Starting to get worried. That is a great nap! Nice bone and crisp blades. Definitely a keeper.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Good to see you back Ken!

Outstanding example of a Napanoch knife ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Another welcome back, Ken, thought we had lost you. Very nice Napanoch pen knife! ::tu::
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks guys... not able to visit as frequently as before... but certainly missed not getting here these past few months. ::teary_eyes::

... but I have been continuing the hunt... found this timeworn Schrade Cutlery fishtail button knife with the butter & molasses handles at an antique shop in way up-state NY. The locking mechanism is weak, so the blade pops out with ease & has lotsa play in the open position... the tab on the locking slide is missing... the celluloid scales are a bit scarred from being carried quite a bit... but it cleaned up fairly well and the blade looks pretty full still...

I wonder if perhaps it is worth getting it restored?

10571 10572
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

... a couple more additions I picked up this month...

My second Wallkill Knife Works... a bit more traditional than my other example I posted previously... a 3⅜" bare end Jack with "Cracked Ice" celluloid handles (actually I'm thinking they might be bakelite or some kind of similar plastic as they are pure white when viewed edge on plus the scales are totally flat like they were stamped out of a plastic sheet.). As previously mentioned... New York Knife Co. produced this brand for only three years from 1928 until their closure in 1931.

10614 10617

... and just delivered this week... an Ulster Knife Co. Center Swell Tuxedo Gentleman's Pen Knife with genuine Mother of Pearl scales... after close examination... it is quite possible this gem is unused as there are no signs the blades have been sharpened but the edges on both blades are still quite sharp with very distinctive snap to both & the MoP is mint. This one is really tickling my fancy... ::groove::

10616 10615

P.S. I'm discovering just how difficult it is to photograph MoP handles in order to capture its iridescent effect.
'til later....
Ken

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

KAW wrote:I wonder if perhaps it is worth getting it restored?
Looks like a good knife, I would get it repaired ::nod:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

All nice knives but I really like that MOP tuxedo Ken ::tu:: ::tu:: ... To me the best way to capture the iridescence of MOP is indirect dispersed light using a light box or shooting outside later in the day... anyway I have a handful of tuxedos I'll have to post (though not pertinent to this thread) - what I like about those knives was that most had fancy handle materials - MOP, tortoise and ivory....

Post by KAW »

Miller Bro's wrote:Looks like a good knife, I would get it repaired ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks Dimitri... the next obvious question is... have any recommendations about who can repair such a knife?

Lee, I've been seriously considering expanding the collection to some of the Connecticut companies (especially after seeing some of the knives you & Joe have posted as well as their histories and their connections with the NY companies.) I like the fact that part of the Holley factory still stands today. I attended the Lehigh Valley Knife Show last Saturday and there was a dealer there that had a Holley Tuxedo with what appeared to be tortoise scales. He wanted $100 for it. I don't know if that was a fair price, but my little Ulster didn't lighten my wallet nearly that much. 8) I really like its classical lines. ::tu:: Sure would like to see your Tuxedos, Lee. Seems like a good reason to start a new thread. ::tu::

[Edit} Wanted to add... being just an non-serious amateur photographer... don't have a lightbox and wouldn't have any photos of the tuxedo today if I had to shoot outside as it rained all day... hard... ::bad_day::
'til later....
Ken

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I get Kaleb to repair all my switches :wink:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1278
AAPK Janitor
wlf

Post by wlf »

Very nice Ulster Ken.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Sorry JAMESC41001, previously missed that nice old ebony Honk Falls jack! ::tu::
Nice knives, Ken, expecially the Napanoch pen and the pearl Ulster toledo! ::tu::
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks all for the complements... I decided to place the tuxedo on my antique secretary desk next to the MoP handled fountain pen.

I also came across this "Baer" period Ulster № 63... while not as grandiose as the older tuxedo... it features a blade combination I have not seen before... 2 different size clip blades & a coping pen (first time I have come across this blade type). The 1959 catalog calls this a whittler... but not like any other whittler I have seen. In 1953, they called it a balloon pattern, but I think this pertained to the center swell handle than the blade combo.

Can someone tell me if Bonite was brown or black in color?

'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Well I guess we're up to the Schrade−Walden period. Unfortunately, I have not yet to take any photos of my SW's...
but I do have one I took of a Schrade−Walden pattern № 879... a version of the 4" Stockman that appears to have been discontinued after 1965.
(BTW, what is the difference between patterns 879, 880 & 881?)

The photo is intended as a comparison between the 879 & the older Schrade Cutlery Co. pattern № 8803G... a 4" Stockman with "green pearl" celluloid handles I had posted earlier in the thread... now to get busy taking some more photo...

10249 10250
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

OK.... its a drab, deary, cold rainy day, but I'm not home either to get to the rest of my collection...
so I took a picture of my EDC (well my weekend carry at least as my new job does not allow pocket knives)...

a Schrade Walden 234K... a 3-5/16" Jack with Butter & Molasses (K-Horn) handles
...and an antique brass-plated magnfier with 15/16" dia. glass & a pivoting brass cover also I carry... especially when antique shopping. ::groove::

'til later....
Ken

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Ken that's a really neat magnifying glass, nice knife too! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Nice glass Ken. Beats the heck out of what I’m using. Enjoy looking at the knives your posting. Here is a cut co and SW. two long pulls.
D447F2AB-9A3C-42F9-B216-67A34DC0C844.jpeg
B419BDFC-FA31-4205-8AFA-A7FC879DB468.jpeg
KAW

Post by KAW »

Thanks Dimitri & Jay

Jay... If that bare-end jack didn't have the SW stamp, I'd swear it was 50 years older, but in really pristine condition! ::uc::
A really classic pattern I didn't think they still made by the 2nd half of the century. ::hmm:: ::tu:: 8)
... of course... the equal end jack with those bolsters & shield is a classic too! :D
'til later....
Ken

JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

I hear ya Ken. I think the same thing every time I pick it up. Seems like the stamps should be reversed on those two. The equal end jack is spotless. Picture naturally doesn’t do it justice.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”