America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
tongueriver

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by tongueriver »

Walden Knife Company
Walden002.jpg
wkc3.jpg
wkc2.jpg
pen1.jpg
pen3.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Pre-1941 Ulster
senator001.jpg
senator002.jpg
ulster001.jpg
dogleg001.jpg
junior Ulster001.jpg
ULST STKMN BK.jpg
ULST STKMN FT.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Excellent thread ::tu::

Here's a few that fit the bill................
Attachments
image_3 (4).jpg
image_1 (7).jpg
image_5 (2).jpg
image_4 (1).jpg
image_3 (3).jpg
image_1 (6).jpg
image_1 (5).jpg
image_2 (1).jpg
image_1 (8).jpg
image_2 (3).jpg
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What beautiful knives Cal and Dimitri have shown. ::tu:: ::tu::
It's so much fun to look at all the old stuff. ::nod::
Joe
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great knives, Joe, Cal and Dimitri! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Wow! I'm blown away by these last posts Cal and Dimitri. Some of those are completely new to me, that saber ground double pull stockman is just amazing!

Eric
KAW

Post by KAW »

Hear! Hear! ....Revived!.... The thread is back! Thanks all for returning. ::ds::

Cal... I love the bone handles in that first set of Waldens.... but you really got me with the MoP Senator(?) displayed with the old rule. I'm sensing a trend here.... "folding knives with folding rules".... perhaps a theme for a new thread?! ::hmm:: Is that a Stanely rule?
....and that second set.... again I love the bone one that first Ulster.... and the rest.... just marvelous! ::tu:: 8)

::welcome:: Dimitri.... So glad you decided to join us here! What a great set of folders you posted.... and unusual ones mixed in.... I really like the Ulster Gunstock Jack.... have not seen one before.... and the NY Knife interchangeable blade set.... I have only known about Napanoch offering those.... sweet Schrade Press Button with the blade etch.... and last but not least.... our first Napanoch knife posted here! Oh soo sweet! ::tu:: ::groove:: However I am not familiar with the Keene Cutlery Co. Is that as in Keene, New Hampshire?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
KAW

Post by KAW »

Joe.... When I went back thru the entire thread to make sure I was accurate in stating Dimitri posted our first Napanoch.... I realized I got so wrapped up in your farmer's jack that I totally missed the other great knives you posted in that set on the first page, such as the Canal Street Cutlery lockback.... do you know what year that one was offered?

.... and this spectacular knife! Unfortunately, I couldn't make out the name on the tang.... who made it?.... and what a great find!!
Attachments
Joe'sKnife.JPG
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, KAW. I can't give you any information on that Canal Street. I bought it at a knife show in Pennsylvania some years ago.
It's a fine knife. If Philco drops in here he will have an answer or us I think.

The little stockman is a Kingston. It's a nice knife with unusual covers.

There sure are some nice knives being shown here. I'll have to dig for a few more of mine.
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

FRJ wrote:The little stockman is a Kingston. It's a nice knife with unusual covers.
That knife is soooo cool!!! 8) 8) 8) ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::groove::

Here's an oddball I've been trying to unwrap the mystery behind.... an 3½" easy open jack with cocobolo wood handle & fancy shield.... ID'd with a tang stamp of F. Westpfal / Walden who had a NYCity business address when found in an old directory.... all I knew about him is he filed bankruptcy in May, 1917. So I concluded the knife had reached the century mark!.... and from the wear & patina looks it.... which is why I posted it over on the "Pocket Wear & Patinas" thread.... Then Dan helped fill in some of the gaps....
danno50 wrote:Goins lists "F.WESTPFAL, WALDEN N.Y." circa 1874 to 1928, with no other information given. He also lists a "F.WESTPFAL, NEW YORK" stamp as being 1874 to 1928. I believe it is likely that these are two stamps used by the same company. Perhaps the company was located in New York and some of their knives were manufactured in Walden? Company founded by Frederick Westpfal, who died in 1900. The business was continued by his four sons. No mention of who might have made knives for them.
Levine lists a "Westpfal, Frederick (&Bro.) in New York, NY as a wholesale/retail business. Knives made in US and Germany. circa 1884 to 1940.
Dan
.... so I guess they recovered from the 1917 bankruptcy, thus no longer making it a certainty the knife has reached century mark.

....and then, while visiting at the Wawarsing Knife Museum last Sunday.... a gent named Bob was kind enough to look over some knives I brought with me and this one was among them. He was quite familiar with the name and said he had some himself then stated with confidence that this one was made by NY Knife Co. under contract.

....so slowly the background on this venerable folder is being pieced together.... but would still like to know how old it is.... after all, one of my quests is to procure a 19th century pocket knife.... I was hoping this one was a good candidate?....

10103 10104
10101 10102
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Ken.
Nice old easy open jack there with a great stamp. I haven't seen that before.

Here's a nice New York Knife Co. Walden pearl.
Attachments
DSCN9231.JPG
DSCN9233.JPG
DSCN9234.JPG
DSCN9239.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a couple of work knives.
Attachments
DSCN9240.JPG
DSCN9243.JPG
DSCN9246.JPG
DSCN9247.JPG
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

KAW wrote: Dimitri.... So glad you decided to join us here! What a great set of folders you posted.... and unusual ones mixed in.... I really like the Ulster Gunstock Jack.... have not seen one before.... and the NY Knife interchangeable blade set.... I have only known about Napanoch offering those.... sweet Schrade Press Button with the blade etch.... and last but not least.... our first Napanoch knife posted here! Oh soo sweet! However I am not familiar with the Keene Cutlery Co. Is that as in Keene, New Hampshire?
Thanks Ken!

Not much is known about the Keene Cutlery Co. other than Napanoch made the knives, if anyone has any further information I would like to know about it ::tu::

Very nice knives Joe :)

Here's some other interesting knife related items.
Attachments
image_1 (11).jpg
image_1 (3).jpg
image_4 (2).jpg
image_5 (3).jpg
image_5 (1).jpg
AAPK Janitor
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The boxes are great; I don't have any of those....yet. I like to show this old Schrade once in awhile; it has a bit of dramatic appeal.
pillbuster%20001.jpg
pillbuster%20002.jpg
pillbuster%20003.jpg
pillbuster%20004.jpg
2643 & 3 quarters catalog.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Cal I don't blame you. If it were mine I sure would be proud of it too. ::tu:: ::tu::
Roger
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dimitri. Beautiful knife boxes your showing.
Cal, that is a very special knife and a pleasure to view.

Here is a Schrade Cut. Co. that Muskrat Man re - covered for me. White bone.
Attachments
DSCN9251.JPG
DSCN9259.JPG
DSCN9260.JPG
DSCN9263.JPG
DSCN9265.JPG
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Joe, Kaleb did a nice job on that one as usual ::tu::

A few more to add......
Attachments
image_5.jpg
image_1 (2).jpg
image_1 (4).jpg
image_2 (2).jpg
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dimitri.
I sure like those knives you are showing. That display knife is incredible.

Here's a Schrade whittler with the plastic peach seed covers. :roll:
Attachments
DSCN9268.JPG
DSCN9271.JPG
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Joe.... thanks for posting your great collection of knives & I noticed the folding rules too. :)
I really like the NYK MoP with that unusual caliper rule. The rule looks well worn & I don't believe I seen one half wood / half brass like that.... do you know what company made it?.... those work knives.... are they also considered fruit / melon knives? Nice pear :lol:
(ok, bad pun.... pair) :roll:
That recovered Shrade is a looker.... I would even consider making it a EDC so I could show it off every chance I got. The Schrade whittler you posted last brings up a question I've been wanting to ask.... I was under the impression that the description "peach seed" was in reference to the color resembling the color of a peach pit.... or is it about the texture?.... or both? Can someone clarify that for me.... I know.... I know....
I ask way too many questions? ::doh:: .... its just in my nature.... ::sotb::

Dimitri love those boxes....Been keepin' an eye out for those.... now a days when you see one on the Bay, they're lookin' for big $$$ for those.... and your knife are always in such great shape!!! Did you raid an abandon warehouse somewhere with shelves full of pocket knives? ::woot:: .... that's all I can come up with? :mrgreen: ....

Cal glad you posted that Balloon Jack.... I have not seen one before....

....busy weekend.... yesterday was my Bday & now I'm off to see a play.... maybe I can squeak in to post a knife later on....
'til later....
Ken

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

FRJ, great peanut and interesting ruler. Did anyone notice that sea scout shown by Dimitri? :shock: Folks, you are looking at big money there. Probably the second rarest official boy scout knife ever made.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

3 1/4 inch Ulster. Early.
u1.jpg
u7.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Schrade Walden mid 1950s 293 for Craftsman.
293 bone craftsman001.jpg
293 bone craftsman002.jpg
and a 294 from the same era.
2941.jpg
2942.jpg
KAW

Post by KAW »

Cal.... just awesome! ::tu::

....here's my last Walden Knife to show.... 2¾” Congress with 2 blades.... Mother of Pearl handle.... N/S bolsters....
10127 10126
10128 10125
'til later....
Ken

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Ken, what I understand is that type of caliper/rule was from the Civil War era. That's practically a rumor. I haven't researched it.
I have two that are similar. I want more. :D
I just referred to those melon testers as work knives because of there use in the produce industry and one could find your share of work there.
It was well worth getting that little Schrade peanut recovered. It's a fine knife.
As to peachseed, I thought the texture or resemblance to the peachseed was the key. But I've been called a hay seed before and I could never figure that one out cause I ..... well never mind ..........

Oh, by the way, nice congress there. ::tu::
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

tongueriver wrote: Did anyone notice that sea scout shown by Dimitri? :shock:
I noticed it but didn't know of its value. Great knife.
What I did notice was your beautiful knives especially that remarkable serpentine stockman on page 6, pre 1941 Ulsters, last picture.
What a beautiful knife that is. ::tu::

Here's a couple of stainless Schrades.
Attachments
DSCN9373.JPG
DSCN9381.JPG
DSCN9384.JPG
DSCN9441.JPG
Joe

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”