America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Ken and Lee!
AAPK Janitor
wlf

Post by wlf »

Some great knives in this thread.

Old Ulster 4" farmers jack, plus a few other Ulsters. The last being mine and Dale's infamous Ulster Nkife Co knives.
Attachments
Ulster 19th cen unused.jpg
Ulster stag (3).jpg
Ulster Knife Co later bone296.jpg
Ulster Knife Co early bone391.jpg
Ulster Knife Co  NY  Glitter cell487.jpg
Ulster misspelled (5).JPG
Ulster misspelled (2).JPG
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Some real beauties Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... seems that Ulster put some real effort in making farmers jacks based on this variety?? Did other companies make such a variety in terms of different handles? And was the pattern primarily American made?

I digress here abit and this should be in Lamb Foot thread but... Interesting to me that the Lamb Foot was a British horticultural pattern that is still sold in England well over 100 years later and used there still to this day... to that point a British good buddy of mine from fly fishing (not at all a knife collector) when asked about lamb foot knives says he remembers them from his younger days from work around the garden and still today knows many that use them (but he never heard of a farmers jack).. as you know A Wright & Son cutlery which is one of just a few remaining cutleries in Sheffield still makes them (though have read mixed reviews of their knife quality)..

Post by BWT »

Very nice Lyle, thanks for sharing those ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
wlf

Post by wlf »

LongBlade wrote:Some real beauties Lyle ::tu:: ::tu:: ... seems that Ulster put some real effort in making farmers jacks based on this variety?? Did other companies make such a variety in terms of different handles? And was the pattern primarily American made?

I digress here abit and this should be in Lamb Foot thread but... Interesting to me that the Lamb Foot was a British horticultural pattern that is still sold in England well over 100 years later and used there still to this day... to that point a British good buddy of mine from fly fishing (not at all a knife collector) when asked about lamb foot knives says he remembers them from his younger days from work around the garden and still today knows many that use them (but he never heard of a farmers jack).. as you know A Wright & Son cutlery which is one of just a few remaining cutleries in Sheffield still makes them (though have read mixed reviews of their knife quality)..
The pattern seems most prevalent around the last quarter up till the depression, and with the decline of the knife industry and industrialization, so the decline in pocket knives that had an exclusive niche.

Schrade offered the greatest variety of farmers jacks and several handle choices over the years.I have never considered the variety of handle choices only. Walden made them in various handle materials as did Camillus . Utica was a prolific jobber and maker.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle ::tu:: ... I think I forgot to note in the question a variety of handles "and secondary blade"s - to the point of blades which I feel are more important I see some are a larger pen blade while others were "rooster combs" as you call them... I think I did tell you about the mint Empire Farmers Jack but never had the chance to photograph it for you and I may not ever see it again... I know a few companies in CT made Farmers jacks but finding one has been most difficult... as you note most FJs I have seen were Schrade - makes sense now that you note it...

I'm not looking to collect FJs but for my horticultural knife subcollection from New England or Sheffield makers I would just like to land one someday - patience is a virtue in knife collecting :D ... and that patience has paid off for me in the past and so I await the day when one from the right maker in good condition presents itself to me - and begs me to take it home ::nod::

Post by wlf »

As far as I’ve ascertained, only Camillus,Schrade,Utica, and Wostenholm made the rooster combs with the modified flat blade. Although Wostenholm’s secondary blade was a little different, as seen in the catalog below.

Camillus may be the earliest example of such, according to stamping dates by Goins. I have one example that has a pre (3 line )1919 pruning blade and a 1919 (4 line )flat . Schrade's examples did not appear in their catalogs until 1936, although the farmers jack appeared the the 1932 Schrade supplement.

All other farmers jacks had only the spey as a budding blade, even though some used examples might resemble a pen blade.
Attachments
Wostenholm 1930s brochure.jpg

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle - nice historical background and very helpful seeing the catalog cut ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Much appreciated!!

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lyle, for the brand - date connection. ::tu::
Joe
KAW

Post by KAW »

Luv the Ulster farmers jacks Lyle. ::tu:: 8)
I just went back through the entire thread thinking that you had posted some Schrades farmers jacks previously, but sadly I didn't find any. Would really like to see some of those as well. Would be neat to compare them to the Ulsters you posted.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Ken - Here’s a whole AAPK thread on Farmers Jacks and many Schrades are posted - in fact first one shown is half way down the 1st page :) .... Check the whole thread though as there are many beauties (and lots of Lyle’s nice collection ::nod:: )....

The link: viewtopic.php?t=26653

Post by wlf »

My pleasure Ken, really... A variety.
Attachments
Schrade Walden NY USA  319.jpg
Schrade Cut  French ivory and same Shapleigh 245.jpg
Schrade Henderson  S 7303 rooster comb829 - Copy.jpg
Schrade Cut shadow French ivory240.jpg
Schrade NY USA Black comp (2).jpg
Schrade Cut Co S7309F (2).jpg

Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

Here's a NE manufacturer Ken, a Southington ;and a comparison I had done of jigging( which seems to have like DNA ) with an Ulster and a Schrade.
Attachments
Southington farmer460.jpg
Southington farner461.jpg
Schrade Cut,Ulster,Southington bone comparison573.jpg

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Lyle - Think I’ve seen these before but always good to see them again ::tu:: ... I have to say though the secondary blades on the 3rd photo down and the last or 6th photo down (rooster combs) really appeal to me rather than the spey blades ::nod:: .... An old CT made FJ with a Hawkbill and Rooster Comb is on my “want” list - probably difficult if not impossible if none were made as such - l’ll probably have to settle for a Schrade in the end :lol: unless Wostenholm made one :)...

Note in the edit - just saw the 2nd post - now your torturing me Lyle ::nod:: :lol: ... I’ll trade you my “eye tooth” for that Southington - that would be the dream score for me even without the rooster comb !!!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Post by BWT »

The Schrade and the Ulster are very nice Lyle, but the Southington and the handles are beautiful ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
KAW

Post by KAW »

wlf wrote:Here's a NE manufacturer Ken, a Southington ;and a comparison I had done of jigging( which seems to have like DNA ) with an Ulster and a Schrade.

OK... I'm guessing this is a test... ::hmm::
the Ulster is on theleft... the Schrade in the center,,, which leaves the Southington on the right...

Did I pass?.... ::cb::

Nice collection there Lyle... but I have to admit... I'm more partial to the bone than the yellow handles... plus... obviously intended to be a work knife that would get hard use in the field... I'd wonder why they would select the yellow color handles which I would think would show more wear, tear & grime pretty quickly? ::shrug:: :?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
wlf

Post by wlf »

left to right

Schrade ,Ulster,Southington

French ivory was a very popular handle choice for knives. Even the less expensive(now) and shrinking yellow composition early Case knives
brought attention and admiration. It was pleasing to the eye.

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

and to clarify the handles on the Southington (and please excuse me Lyle but just trying to help ) - those handles on the Southington are jigged bone and just not deeply dyed like the Schrade and Ulster - I got the feeling Ken that you thought they were synthetic based on saying “I am partial to jigged bone rather than yellow handles”... personally I like lightly dyed jigged bone and have other knives that are similar ::nod:: ...

Post by wlf »

You are right Lee.

I thought Ken was referring to the pics of the various handles on the Schrades. I suspect he will weigh in definitively shortly. :)

Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Lyle I think you're right - I think Ken was referring to the page before now that I looked back at the Schrades with the yellow handle examples... sorry for the confusion... I also find yellow handles so unappealing unless they are GEC "rotten banana bone" :) never mind the celluloid aspect which was the worse synthetic plastic ever made for any purpose ::nod:: ...

Calling Ken to the podium now :D ....

Post by BWT »

Here's mine.
Attachments
Walkill American Boy
Walkill American Boy
NY Knife
NY Knife
NY Knife  Hammer Brand
NY Knife Hammer Brand
Ulster Knife Co
Ulster Knife Co
Keen Kutter  EC Simmons
Keen Kutter EC Simmons
Schrade Cut Co
Schrade Cut Co
Howey in the Hills
Howey in the Hills
Electric Cut Co
Electric Cut Co
NY Knife Ivory
NY Knife Ivory
NY  Knife
NY Knife
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice knives, Bill. ::tu::
Great show! ::tu::
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice group of knives Bill - thanks for sharing ::tu:: ::tu:: You have some awesome NYK Co knives - All look to be in great condition... Can I ask the length of that single blade ivory example?? Does it have good snap to the blade opening and closing? Looks like a boys knife to me though perhaps a quill knife pending size as the blade looks abit smaller in size ::nod::... How far does the spring wrap around on the top side?? Guess a photo from the top down would be best if possible....

Post by BWT »

LongBlade wrote:Nice group of knives Bill - thanks for sharing ::tu:: ::tu:: You have some awesome NYK Co knives - All look to be in great condition... Can I ask the length of that single blade ivory example?? Does it have good snap to the blade opening and closing? Looks like a boys knife to me though perhaps a quill knife pending size as the blade looks abit smaller in size ::nod::... How far does the spring wrap around on the top side?? Guess a photo from the top down would be best if possible....
Thanks Joe and Lee. I was fortunate, all those knives have good to excellent snap and no blade wobble. The ivory is 2&3/8,with excellent open and closing snap and half stops. I thought it might be a quill knife? The New York ones that don't have Hammer Brand on the tang I was told would make them before 1878??? Thanks again.
Attachments
20180930_195650.jpg
Bill
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Bill for providing that info to help clarify ::tu:: ... Beautiful knife indeed - I believe it is a quill knife and a quite nice one too ::nod:: ...

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”