America's "Little Sheffield"

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
RalphAlsip

Re: America's "Little Sheffield"

Post by RalphAlsip »

JAMESC41001 wrote:the angle cut on the Swedge reminds me of the Napanoch blades.
Jay, thank you for the information and encouragement. I have a Napanoch marked coke bottle pattern and the blade in the coke bottle has similarities with the Ulster clip blade such as the double pulls and the swedging. The blade in the Napanoch is much larger. The swedge in the Ulster is more pronounced.
Attachments
Ulster & Napanoch Blade Compare.jpg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

honk stockman.jpg
That is a great side by side illustration. Here is Honk falls stockman that shares some similarities with your knife. you may know the ulster factory was about two or three miles down the road from the Napaanoch/Honk Falls shop. Both Naoanoch and later Honk Falls were started by Ex ulster men.
I really like the slim profile of your knife. It would make a great EDC if this were 100 years ago. For now though you better keep that in a safe place.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Jay, your Honk Falls stockman is gorgeous. ::tu:: The bone is super nice.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks Ralph, I was super happy to get this one. Your Ulster really got my attention when I saw it. I know Ulster started out as Ellenville Co-op. I know several hard core collectors from the area that have looked high and low for many years and have not found a knife with that tang stamp. For a short time they became Ellenville knife co. Knives with that mark come around only occasionally. The next Mark I believe was like yours Ulster knife co. Around 1900 One of Dwight Divine’s sons joined him and for a very short time they used a the Mark Dwight Divine and Son without the “s” these are also rare. They went to Dwight Divine and sons at some point there were other marks but I’m not really sure. I think they went back to the Ulster mark like yours at some point. Others will know better. This is what I remember but only off the top of my head. For a time NYK co was using double pulls on their Whittier’s. I have a catalog with some pics. I have to check the dates in the catalog. It might be around the same time period. But that’s just a guess. Not sure any of this helps but hopefully you can dial in on it.
BWT

Post by BWT »

RalphAlsip wrote:I recently acquired this Ulster example. It is my first and only (so far lol) Ulster example. I have been looking without success for an Ulster equal end cattle or cigar pattern and came across this knife. Any information regarding age, pattern, etc. would be appreciated. Length is 4” closed.
Jerry that is a beautiful knife, nothing not to like about that one!!!! Great find ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
BWT

Post by BWT »

JAMESC41001 wrote:honk stockman.jpgThat is a great side by side illustration. Here is Honk falls stockman that shares some similarities with your knife. you may know the ulster factory was about two or three miles down the road from the Napaanoch/Honk Falls shop. Both Naoanoch and later Honk Falls were started by Ex ulster men.
I really like the slim profile of your knife. It would make a great EDC if this were 100 years ago. For now though you better keep that in a safe place.
Beautiful knife James, I have never seen a Honk Falls in person. That's very nice thanks for sharing.
Bill
wlf

Post by wlf »

Jerry ,most people know I love the big single springs with curves. I also like Ulsters, and I love yours.
Jay another great knife. Is that bone typical for HF knives?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Lyle, that is typical bone for HF although there are some others. Pretty much three variations. This one being the most common I’ve seen. I’m still trying to understand the differences and what the timing for each was. I suspect this was an earlier example as it matches a Napanoch pattern. Thank you for the compliment
Jerry, my apologies. I was calling you Ralph. Now I I got it!
KAW

Post by KAW »

JohnR... a classic lookin' NYKC cattle knife... very nice! ::tu::
Super lookin' Ulster, Jerry... definitely a pre-Baer era... in fact by the font used on the tang stamp, I believe its an early Ulster... before they started using the Dwight Devine stamps.
Jay... another fine lookin' Honk Falls... you a certainly amassing a collection worthy of exhibiting! 8) ::tu::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks Ken. Actually the show in Mystic Connecticut is a possibility.
Mason

Post by Mason »

RalphAlsip wrote:I recently acquired this Ulster example. It is my first and only (so far lol) Ulster example. I have been looking without success for an Ulster equal end cattle or cigar pattern and came across this knife. Any information regarding age, pattern, etc. would be appreciated. Length is 4” closed.
Nice old Ulster. With that main blade style and those "ringed" bolsters, it would date from the mid 1920s to 1930s.
Here is a similar three blade model from 1926 with the same main blade, handle type, and bolsters.
Attachments
Ulster double pull blade 1926_20181125_0001 (2) (800x652).jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mason wrote:Nice old Ulster. With that main blade style and those "ringed" bolsters, it would date from the mid 1920s to 1930s.
Here is a similar three blade model from 1926 with the same main blade, handle type, and bolsters.
Mason, thank you for the date information and for the catalog cut. I really appreciate it. ::handshake::
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

I believe this is the knife from the above Ulster catalog cut. This was once mine, but all I have left is the photos. I'm feeling a little sellers remorse. At least I know it's in a wonderful collection, and is well taken care of. Barry
Attachments
ULST STKMN FT.jpg
Barry
Mason

Post by Mason »

RalphAlsip wrote:
Mason wrote:Nice old Ulster. With that main blade style and those "ringed" bolsters, it would date from the mid 1920s to 1930s.
Mason, thank you for the date information and for the catalog cut. I really appreciate it. ::handshake::
Sure, glad to help. I see that blade type from Ulster with the double pulls dating back to the early 1900s, but those ringed bolster don't seem to show up until the mid 1920s.
Mason

Post by Mason »

1fartsmella wrote:I believe this is the knife from the above Ulster catalog cut. This was once mine, but all I have left is the photos. I'm feeling a little sellers remorse. At least I know it's in a wonderful collection, and is well taken care of. Barry
Great knife, right out of the catalog. :)
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

I imagine your catalog has other great pics. Ulster catalogs are not common. This is a pair of little Jacks with fancy bolsters.
Attachments
2 ULST FT.jpg
Barry
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very nice. The pearl with the etch is off the charts.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Thanks for showing these old Ulster patterns. It seems like 90% or more of the Ulster examples I see elsewhere are scout patterns. An Ulster cattle knife was sold on eBay a few months ago for around $200. The price exceeded my comfort level given my lack of knowledge of the brand so I didn’t bid. It had really nice bone handles. Normally I save a picture of knives I’m interested in, but I can’t find a picture of this one.
ObsidianEdge

Post by ObsidianEdge »

Thanks for posting those Barry. Beautiful.
Mike Robuck

Author: "Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives"
wlf

Post by wlf »

Yes Barry those are terrific knives.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Ditto Barry - wonderful jacks ::tu:: ::tu:: .... Peanuts I assume :) ...

Post by KAW »

Hear... hear... those are some swell Ulsters Barry ::tu:: Thanks for posting them here. ::handshake::
RalphAlsip wrote: ...An Ulster cattle knife was sold on eBay a few months ago for around $200. The price exceeded my comfort level given my lack of knowledge of the brand so I didn’t bid. It had really nice bone handles.
Holy cow!!! ...and I picked up a Devine Ulster cattle knife with MoP handles in excellent condition at an antique show this past summer that had a price tag of $12... and grabbed it up in a deal... 3 for $20... netting $6.66 for it! (see pg 17 for pics).

I'll never part with it... but I guess I'll leave directions for my heirs if they decide to sell it... put it on eBay... crossing my fingers that won't be for a couple more decades at least ::pray:: ... it may go for nearly $700 by then... that would be a 10,000% return... ::woot:: ::rotflol::
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

Well to change the tune a bit... I just received this NY Knife Co. tuxedo yesterday (from an eBay auction).
Using the sellers pics as it is yet another deary rainy day here in the northeast... time to start putting these knives to use whittling an ark!...
if the sun does ever come back out... I'll make an attempt at better photos...

The seller described the handles as bone... but I'm thinking possible aged ivory?... no Hammer branding on tangs... Could it possible be older than 1878? What time range were tuxedos in vogue?
11068 11069
'til later....
Ken

BWT

Post by BWT »

Ken that is a beautiful old knife and pattern. I don't have a book handy, but I believe NYK started using Hammer Brand around 1878 maybe 1880, so that one is probably before then?? I love those handles!!
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

KAW wrote: Could it possible be older than 1878?
That's a nice little knife you have there, Ken. I think the covers are of the long tooth.
I can't read your stamps well but I have one similar, I think, on page 4, 3 down.

I received a N.Y. Hammer recently and it blends quite well with my other New York pens of the same size. 3 5/16"
These are the greatest little knives.
Attachments
DSCN4631.JPG
DSCN4629.JPG
DSCN4634.JPG
DSCN4636.JPG
DSCN4641.JPG
DSCN4645.JPG
DSCN4648.JPG
DSCN4654.JPG
DSCN4657.JPG
DSCN4660.JPG