Pocket Wear & Patinas

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
KAW

Re: Pocket Wear & Patinas

Post by KAW »

Most of the knives I acquire are to be displayed as part of a historical collection. With that in mind, I attempt to select knives that show the minimal amount of wear.... as full a blade as possible.... etc.... then when they arrive, I usually try to clean them up a bit.... take as much tarnish off the blades as I can by hand to shine them up a bit.... shine up the bolsters, backsprings & liners as much as I can, etc....

Last fall, I acquired this oddity.... a Wallkill River Works.... the economy line knife introduced by New York Knife in 1928.
Don't believe they made too many before they closed in 1931.

.... and you know, when it arrived in this condition, I felt something in my heart telling me.... "leave this one alone!"

10070 10073
10072 10071
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Here's another pocket worn and dark patina oldie from Thomaston Knife Co in a pen knife -
Blades Open DSCN6377.JPG

Post by steve99f »

Have this Case 35 frame that has rode in a few pockets and now rides in mine. ::tu::

Sorry for the poor photo.
Attachments
6235 9dot red master open.JPG
steve99f
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Here's an older CASE ('64-'69) what would qualify for Pocket Wear & Patina
100_1243.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

6292 ten dot pocket wear and pantina my Grandpa earned.this is my Imperial Barlow with wear and patina that I earned.
Attachments
128.jpg
131.jpg
736.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Patterned patinas, a piece of scotch tape an exact knife and a little imagination and the possibilities are endless. 5 minutes and you have jaws. ;)
knifeworld2-page-001.jpg
100_7283 - Edited.jpg
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Here's 2 Case knives that I bought back when I was in high school. Both of them were used and abused, they were treated as tools. The 61048 was the first knife I remember purchasing and the 62048 was probably the second. The single blade was originally an XX now with a 9 dot replacement blade. The 2 blade is a Case XX over USA that shows lots of pocket wear and patina, even though the spay blade is broken there is a small portion of the nail nick, enough to open it easily. The single blade has a forced patina and the handles show some pocket wear. My dad actually confiscated both of these knives when I went in the Marine Corps and literally wore them out!
Treefarmer
005.JPG

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TheMadHungarian

Post by TheMadHungarian »

Over a century a half of use and patina, this Josef Sziraki pearl Lobster qualifies. Handmade somewhere in the 1850s by a Master Cutler in the central part of what used to be the Austro-Hungarian Empire, he was instrumental in the evolution of cutlery for that part of the western Europe.

I still carry it on occasion, mostly for weddings and funerals and more frequently than I should but it needs to be shared and begs to be used, ;) Still it continues to age and developed a beautiful patina and hopefully do so for it's next caretaker.
DSC_7057 - Edited.jpg
This pearl is so deep and rich from years of use, the oils in everyone's hands over the years has imparted a honey gold highlight to the iridescent colors the pearl reflects from the different angles. Like I said, even the pearl has patina and character,
DSC_7064 - Edited.jpg
All the hardware fittings are German Silver including the earpick used to scoop out earwax long before the invention of the Q Tip :shock:
DSC_7063 - Edited.jpg
DSC_7065 - Edited.jpg
DSC_7066 - Edited.jpg
DSC_7060 - Edited.jpg
I have a pic of the file open somewhere i'll have to dig it up.
My Old Man told me when I was a kid, "You can spend your entire life convincing someone how smart you are but it only takes a second to prove you're an idiot."....................You can call me Ted.
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

Case Tested pen knife.
Attachments
IMG_1635.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This old Opinel and me have spent a little time together.
Attachments
DSCN7994.JPG
DSCN7997.JPG
DSCN8001.JPG
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Joe,
What's the "flat head screw" looking thing in the end of your well used Opinel? Have I over looked that on the ones I own?
How long have y'all been together? :lol:
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Philip, I'm afraid I had nothing better to do during that hour of time and wanted to make the knife my own. ::smirk::
That screw has been in there for at least 32 years. :D
Thanks for asking.
Joe
chevycannontexasjack

Post by chevycannontexasjack »

Heres a 1976 old timer! With some good pocket wear!
Attachments
20170816_090158.jpg
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Here are two of my favorite Pocket Wear knives.
The Case XX c1940-1964, was most likely closer to the 1940 end due to its wear? If you look closely, you can barely make out the C and A on the shield. The jigging has nearly disappeared on both sides. Looks as if the original owner did not have a blade preference, perhaps he just opened up whatever his thumbnail came to? The blades are razor sharp.
Unfortunately I have no ownership documentation on this Case. But I can assume it was an "Everyday" EDC and wore out many pockets.

My second knife is a Hammer Brand, (Yes, solid bolsters) very old. c1880-1931 not as much historical wear as the Case, but still well loved and used.

Both knives are tight, have snap and no wiggle.
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

KAW wrote:Most of the knives I acquire are to be displayed as part of a historical collection. With that in mind, I attempt to select knives that show the minimal amount of wear.... as full a blade as possible.... etc.... then when they arrive, I usually try to clean them up a bit.... take as much tarnish off the blades as I can by hand to shine them up a bit.... shine up the bolsters, backsprings & liners as much as I can, etc....

Last fall, I acquired this oddity.... a Wallkill River Works.... the economy line knife introduced by New York Knife in 1928.
Don't believe they made too many before they closed in 1931.

.... and you know, when it arrived in this condition, I felt something in my heart telling me.... "leave this one alone!"

10070 10073
10072 10071
I think you made a wise decision! Thanks for showing the knife here. Would like to see more of your collection. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got a lot knives that fit here but here's 4 of my favorites. The Case's wear and tear is my fault the Crown, Queen city, and Lenox were loved by someone else before me.
Attachments
20170818_082638.jpg
KAW

Post by KAW »

There's been a few great "oldies, but goodies" since I visited last.... cool stuff 8) ::tu::

Thanks Ken... (How about that another Ken) Like I said most of my other knives wouldn't really qualify for this thread.... I started a thread called Schrade Evolution under:

Knife Forum > Brand Specific Knife Forums > Canal Street Cutlery Collector's Forum

that showcases an 80+ year old Schrade next to a 2013 Canal Street Cutlery descendant. Maybe I need to come up with thread topic like.... oh, I don't know.... "Oldies, but still got some shine".... I do have a few that would fit into that category.

Anyway, here's another oddball that definitely belongs here and would like to find out more about it.... This EO Jack is ID'd with a tang stamp F. Westpfal / Walden who had a NYCity business address. Maybe a retailer?.... all I know about him is he filed bankruptcy in May, 1917.... so I guess that makes this knife at least 100 years old.... & it looks it!! ::woot::

10103 10104
10101 10102
'til later....
Ken

KAW

Post by KAW »

YIKES!!!.... I know this is one ugly lookin' knife.... but it was not my intent to scare everyone away!.... ::mdm:: ::teary_eyes:: ::doh:: :roll:

I do hope someone can tell me who made this knife for Westpfal....
'til later....
Ken

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Goins lists "F.WESTPFAL, WALDEN N.Y." circa 1874 to 1928, with no other information given. He also lists a "F.WESTPFAL, NEW YORK" stamp as being 1874 to 1928. I believe it is likely that these are two stamps used by the same company. Perhaps the company was located in New York and some of their knives were manufactured in Walden? Company founded by Frederick Westpfal, who died in 1900. The business was continued by his four sons. No mention of who might have made knives for them.
Levine lists a "Westpfal, Frederick (&Bro.) in New York, NY as a wholesale/retail business. Knives made in US and Germany. circa 1884 to 1940.
Dan
Dan
KAW

Post by KAW »

Very interesting, Dan. ::hmm::
So, I guess they recovered from the May 29th, 1917 bankruptcy announced in the American Cutlery issue printed in Sept. of that year. Never found a follow up mention in the later issues. Kind of a bummer.... for that means the knife may now be less than a hundred years old.... ::doh::
I've been hoping I can get a knife that breaks the threshold into the 19th century... but like with this one, there's no telling if it is or isn't? ::shrug::
Thanks for the info.... that's what I find so great about this board! ::groove::
'til later....
Ken

colin.p

Post by colin.p »

TheMadHungarian wrote:
All the hardware fittings are German Silver including the earpick used to scoop out earwax long before the invention of the Q Tip :shock:
Sheesh. We're told not to clean the ear canal with a Q Tip (apparently it can kill you?). I can only imagine the fit they would have seeing someone using that.
sextonknifeworks

Post by sextonknifeworks »

Here are some of my EDC's
Attachments
2017-08-23 23_08_20-IMG_0234 - Windows Photo Viewer.png
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Honoring Jerryd's suggestion that I put this knife in this thread.
He says this white Delrin doesn't hold up well. I didn't know that. Looks like I got a goodn'.
Nice enough knife. No pin covers with kind of a soft close on the main blade.

EDIT: Jerry tells me the Delrin is fine. It just tends to crack at the shield.
Attachments
DSCN8917.JPG
DSCN8919.JPG
DSCN8923.JPG
DSCN8932.JPG
Joe
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

Here is a Keeneredge Barlow made for C.M. McClung Hardware in Knoxville TN. The logo on one of the bolsters is nearly worn away.
Attachments
IMG_5525.JPG
IMG_5529.JPG
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

313 Mike wrote:Case XX era, rough black 31 jack....atop an old Nash with a fine patina of its own.
Mike.. That is a AWESOME pic!!! ::ds:: Really KOOL!!! ::ds:: ::tu:: ::ds:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”