Boys Knives Through the Years

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Boys Knives Through the Years

Post by JohnR »

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. Lyle, your new one looks to be a stunner, hope to be able to get one and hope to see you and Jan at the Rendezvous.
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

I think this falls in the boys knife category. Marked Meriden Knife Co U.S.A. on both blades. The Delineator was a Womans fashion type magazine in the 20's. I believe it was owned by the Butterick co that made patterns. This was a gift given to boys for selling subscriptions to the magazine. It is 3 3/8 closed has nice firm snap with 1/2 stops. The handles are aluminum.
Kerry
Attachments
IMG_3275.JPG
IMG_3276.JPG
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Awesome Kerry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Looks to be in pretty good condition too 8) ... Not an easy one to find in decent shape like yours - at least I haven't found one yet :) ...

Note in edit - sorry Kerry I had a senior moment putting Lloyd instead ::dang:: but now fixed...
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for the info on the lineage of the Meriden Knife Co. Boys Knife Lloyd.....I have the same one for sale in my AAPK Store (https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -long-207-) but never knew where the name Delineator came from.....very cool! Mine is only 3" long with a short-pull single blade, nice to know there are other variations out there.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

bestgear wrote:Thanks for the info on the lineage of the Meriden Knife Co. Boys Knife Lloyd.....I have the same one for sale in my AAPK Store (https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -long-207-) but never knew where the name Delineator came from.....very cool! Mine is only 3" long with a short-pull single blade, nice to know there are other variations out there.
I went and looked at your knife. It appears nice as well and good to know there are variations.
Kerry
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Got this little Nelson knife co boys knife,probably ebony?
2 7/8 closed. Looks new inside and snaps hard.
1/2 stops and no wobble. Goin’s says only
1894. Got it off of AAPK from Tom Cosgrove.
If anybody knows anything about the maker
Please speak up.
Kerry
Attachments
50E63B83-6411-43B0-8242-CB8ED4A10C86.jpeg
9190512B-5B3D-4B65-8FE4-2E9823DC956A.jpeg
E5D84C53-FC1D-4694-9781-1C075B82FEAB.jpeg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Kerry - nice knife ::tu:: ... Only thing I ever found about Nelson is that it was most likely made in Germany around the date you noted (1894-5) and possibly for Nelson Hardware in Roanoke VA... I believe a fairly rare stamp...
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Both are first :) one is just like the first boys knife I owned from the 60's a I.K.Co USA. The other is my very first GEC from a very generous member as a gift.the quality just gets better as we go ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

From one dogg to another, knice knives, old and new both. ::tu:: ::tu::
DARRELL MAINES

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

I am looking for a Can’t Lose Me metal handle boys knife and also the wood handle Shapleigh Anyone out there got one of these for sale. Thanks Darrell Maines
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this 3 1/4" Schrade Cut Co, has slim proportions all the way around including the sheeps foot blade, unfortunately been buffed but still good snap with no play.
Attachments
IMG_9127.jpg
IMG_9126.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a looker John. Love the bone. ::tu::
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

JohnR wrote:Picked up this 3 1/4" Schrade Cut Co, has slim proportions all the way around including the sheeps foot blade, unfortunately been buffed but still good snap with no play.
Knice find .. .. .. :)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

First, my thanks to LongBlade. I had been puzzling over the question of what are the defining characteristics of Boys Knives. Then discovered the answer in Longblade's OP. If I have interpreted correctly, I think these two "Beer Scouts" would qualify. If not, someone kindly explain.
P1010772.JPG
P1010774.JPG
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This is a great thread about a great and interesting pattern.

I do have a couple of Robeson Boy's Knives, but I've never photographed them.

Here are some, however, that have sold on Ebay some time back. If any belong to someone here, I apologize.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Robeson Ivoroid Boys Knife 2.jpg
Robeson Ivoroid Boys Knife.jpg
RobesonBoysKnife2.jpg
RobesonBoysKnife3.jpg
RobesonBoysKnife4.jpg
$(KGrHqZHJEUE+SIBMKMQBP5gMDK!qw~~60_57.jpg
Robeson 621277 Boy's Knife 1.jpg
Robeson 621277 Boy's Knife 2.jpg
Robeson 621277 Boy's Knife 3.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

JohnR wrote:Picked up this 3 1/4" Schrade Cut Co, has slim proportions all the way around including the sheeps foot blade, unfortunately been buffed but still good snap with no play.
John - Nice addition John - that bone is sweet ::tu:: ::tu:: ... You have great taste in knives ::nod::
Quick Steel wrote:First, my thanks to LongBlade. I had been puzzling over the question of what are the defining characteristics of Boys Knives. Then discovered the answer in Longblade's OP. If I have interpreted correctly, I think these two "Beer Scouts" would qualify. If not, someone kindly explain.P1010772.JPGP1010774.JPG
I'm glad that was helpful QS ::tu:: .. And super looking Boys Knives - I really like those with the sheep foot blade (and easy openers too) ::tu:: ::tu:: - Those two "Beer Scouts" no doubt qualify in every way imho ::nod::
RobesonsRme.com wrote:This is a great thread about a great and interesting pattern.

I do have a couple of Robeson Boy's Knives, but I've never photographed them.

Here are some, however, that have sold on Ebay some time back. If any belong to someone here, I apologize.

Charlie Noyes
Awesome looking Boys Knives Charlie ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Robeson made quite a nice variety based on those you posted.. The Bone handled easy opener (with worm grove jigging) is really nice ::drool:: - I would have jumped on that one if I saw one up for sale ::nod:: ... Do you know the estimated date for that one based on the tang stamp? Thanks for sharing them as I haven't seen too many Boys Knives from Robeson!!

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Cannot see the tang stamp on the master in those pics and secondary blade stamps are no help with dating Robeson knives. That MADE IN U.S.A. should provide one factor. Levine states that was first used in the late 1910's or early 1920's and was "uncommon" until the mid-1960's when it was required on American made knives exported to Canada.

The knife pattern was surely discontinued around WWII, But I suspect well before that.

The bone on that knife says, "old" to me.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Picked up this little NYK 2 5/8" closed ivory handled jack. Love the color of the ivory. Great snap on this beauty.
Attachments
IMG_9362.JPG
IMG_9363.JPG
IMG_9364.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is a great pick up. Ivory is beautiful. Great score. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Mike - To echo doglegg - Great score on that NYK Boys Knife ::tu:: ::tu:: - Old ivory with that mellow yellow tint and grain is just so appealing ::drool::
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Through the years, knife manufacturers have had a very large band-wagon to jump on to produce Boys Knives.
Picture Knives, Hero, Hero Character knives, Scout knives, all are a little different, but they all have the same DNA: To produce knives related to the interest young boys and girls.
Character knives are knives that relate to heroes or popular characters of a given time.
In years past, many young Boys looked for a Hero to relate to.
I was still a pre-teen in 1960 and had an extremely large cast of Character Heros to choose from. Weekly T.V. programs in the 1950's added to this excitement of course and had its magic impact on me as well. I had many Heroes and have collected many of them in the following years.

Mr. Dennis Ellingsen, (A well known and respected cutlery writer) stated:
"It is my opinion that the period from 1950 until mid 1960's can rightfully be called the Golden Age of Cutlery Character/Hero Knives".
"It would be interesting to dwell on each of the character/hero knives that appeared during the 1950 to 1960"s period, but that would be a book unto itself."

This all changed in the early 80's, extending into current times, kids find their heroes in video games and the most recent Hollywood movie release which will be forgotten and replaced next month with a newer fantasy in theatres. None of which in my opinion are worthy of being placed on a pocket knife handle.

I obtained the below pictured "Bronco Billy" carded knife set at a Toy Show in the mid 1980's.
I had never heard of "Broncho Billy" before the day of my purchase, and have never seen or read about "Broncho Billy" in any knife article or publication. (He was also called Bronco at times)
The only way it survived close to eighty years to its present condition is because it was never in the hands or pockets of its intended target. As you can view: never carried, used or sharpened. I am sure other "Broncho Billy" knives exist, but I have never seen one. Perhaps even fixed blades?
The Shell Handles on this 3" inch "Hammer Brand" 2 blade jack knife would date it to be manufactured by "Imperial Knife Co" c1938-1940 due to its shell handles and clip bolsters.

Many collectors admittedly could care less about history pertaining to their knives, but only their current value and what financial gain they can obtain if they were to sell it. Not me, no sire-eee. I'm all down the road researching for every little detail I can find.

Many would classify or call the quality of this knife as "Cheap," I do not use that term, I prefer "Inexpensive." Mr. Ellingsen whom I quoted above along with most other well known authors will never use the term "Cheap" they prefer using "Low Cost" or "Inexpensive." And yes, there is a difference.

Gilbert M. "Broncho Billy" Anderson was born on March 21,1880 and passed on January 20, 1971. He was 90 years old.
A well known actor in theatre and movies. He was "The Lone Ranger" in his day and age.
In the below Moving Picture 5 part play advertising poster dated 1919 you can see the resemblance of his neck scarf and chaps.

Has there ever been a "Broncho Billy" in your pocket?
The_Son_of_a_Gun.jpg
Gilbert_M_Anderson_broncho_billy_magazine_july_dec_1913.jpg
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That is nothing but cool OF. I am afraid Bronco predated me by a little but as a kid to have had something like that, Wow. Thanks for the pictures and the write up. ::tu:: ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very nice write-up OF and sweet Boys Knife - its awesome to have the whole set in such excellent condition ::tu:: ::tu:: ... No doubt there are a few of us driven by the history and background - for me and a few others it no doubt half the reason for collecting - and I love the details ::nod:: ... Does anybody really make money on knives? :lol: :lol: ...

This Boys Knife is not mine but my friend and co-author for the Boys Knife article - Neal Punchard (and hope he doesn't mind if I show it but it fits so perfectly now :) ... It is a very similar genre of Boys Knife but made by Colonial. It was submitted for the article but due to lack of space it never made it to the final article... With your seque OF it is a good time to show it now as another company which made similar knives ::nod::
16 - Colonial Knife Co Ranger Cowboy Boys Knife.jpg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Thank you doglegg ::handshake::
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Never seen the "Ranger" before Lee.
I have his Colonial USA Brother "Davy Crockett"
IMG_0005.JPG
Dan

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”