Boys Knives Through the Years

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Boys Knives Through the Years

Post by galvanic1882 »

Nice Lee, very nice ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a beauty, Lee. A true boys knife for sure with that blunt tip.
I would think yours is earlier than mine too.
Very nice. Right in your wheelhouse.
I haven't received my Knife Magazine renewal yet. Looking to see your article.
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Knice knife Lee. ::tu:: ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Wow, Lee, that is a beauty! With that knife and a good imagination, I'll bet some boy tamed the Wild West and a hundred other adventures! I sure wish these old knives could talk!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks very much Mike, Joe, doglegg and Reverand ::handshake:: ::tu:: ... and your absolutely right Reverand - if those knives could only talk :D !!!

Post by Corso »

Loads of great examples on here to look out for

I've consolidated my collection to these, with peanuts being my other weakness
P1030225.JPG
I'd grab one or two more but at the moment I'm hunting a 3" closed Barlow
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice lineup of knives Corso ::tu:: ::tu:: ...

Post by Corso »

Thanks

they are my thing at the moment

and I've now a 3" closed Barlow on its way if the USPS works its magic
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

A few Imperials with chains and 1 Hammer brand. The 2blade with the card and badge is the Hammer brand. The one Deputy Sheriffs knife that is a little faded says by Colt. Ive not seen that before.
Attachments
IMG_5803.JPG
IMG_5804.JPG
IMG_5805.JPG
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Been some great stuff here, sure have learned a lot reading and drooling.Now that I know more will separate the ones that are in my accumulation.Will get some pics out in next few days and try tO. Keep this one going. Be safe folks
JP
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

ludwig26 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:17 pm A few Imperials with chains and 1 Hammer brand. The 2blade with the card and badge is the Hammer brand. The one Deputy Sheriffs knife that is a little faded says by Colt. Ive not seen that before.
Those are stunning, the chains ,the collection ,the pics ,Awesome
JP
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Ripster wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:53 pm
ludwig26 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:17 pm A few Imperials with chains and 1 Hammer brand. The 2blade with the card and badge is the Hammer brand. The one Deputy Sheriffs knife that is a little faded says by Colt. Ive not seen that before.
Those are stunning, the chains ,the collection ,the pics ,Awesome
Thanks you, the pictures are a problem for me, I cant figure out how to spin them around. On my computer they are right.
Kerry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Awesome Kerry ::tu:: ::tu:: - Great to have the chains with those as they are not easy either - nice collection ::nod:: .. I'm not sure what "by Colt" means on that knife handle - is the stamp on blade Imperial? Pretty cool...

Post by ludwig26 »

LongBlade wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:54 am

Awesome Kerry ::tu:: ::tu:: - Great to have the chains with those as they are not easy either - nice collection ::nod:: .. I'm not sure what "by Colt" means on that knife handle - is the stamp on blade Imperial? Pretty cool...
Thanks Longblade, Yes it is the IKco mark. Im thinking maybe a reference to Colt firearms company. I know what you mean on the chains to, Iam also noticing some slight differences in the chains. Perhaps they had several different vendors for the hardware.
Thanks, Kerry
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

ludwig26 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 am
LongBlade wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:54 am

Thanks Longblade, Yes it is the IKco mark. Im thinking maybe a reference to Colt firearms company. I know what you mean on the chains to, Iam also noticing some slight differences in the chains. Perhaps they had several different vendors for the hardware.
Thanks, Kerry
Thanks Kerry ::tu:: - I agree - no doubt a reference to Colt Firearms who maybe contracted these knives from Imperial as a guess - not sure... I believe Colt did make a few knives but much different knife patterns and a later time frame - which is why I was wondering about the blade stamp.. I have also seen differences among chains and no doubt made by different sources - since they were not that complicated possibly some companies made their own chains too but that is just speculation on my part....
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Corso wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:28 pm Loads of great examples on here to look out for

I've consolidated my collection to these, with peanuts being my other weakness

P1030225.JPG

I'd grab one or two more but at the moment I'm hunting a 3" closed Barlow
Nice! ::tu::
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Awesome collection!
David
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Older Catt,a Camco that has engraved in plastic “ Lone Ranger” .Then a newer Case, not sure that qualifies here?
And a New Maher and Grosh #14 chain knife.
This has been a very interesting read here about boys knifes, seems they’re made for all ages of boys, even us Older Boys
Attachments
F3C7BF50-C1B6-4928-BF99-374669BE8A8E.jpeg
A35C2017-2D28-456C-9B48-F887335258F3.jpeg
JP
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Derek recommended that I post this here. I will try to dig out my Boy’s knives and take pictures in the coming days, I have a few.
This is a GEC Tidioute pattern 15 Lick Creek Boy’s Knife. Gunstock Jack’s had a few of these customized by Esynx with cocobolo handles and a stainless crest shield.
Attachments
IMG_4337.jpeg
IMG_4338.jpeg
IMG_4339.jpeg
IMG_4340.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

So here are all the boy’s knives that I have. Some may not be considered a true boy’s knife since they aren’t bare heads, but they are smaller knives. Wasn’t sure if the Barlows would be in this category or not.
The jigged blue bone one is the very first GEC knife I bought.
Attachments
IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_4349.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice group of "boys" you have there Mark! ::tu:: Really like the one you posted by itself before the group shot. ::nod:: BTW, why are they called "boys" knives? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 am Very nice group of "boys" you have there Mark! ::tu:: Really like the one you posted by itself before the group shot. ::nod:: BTW, why are they called "boys" knives? ::shrug:: 8)
Go back to the start of this thread, you will find it interesting reading, and there is a good link to an earlier thread. ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks cudgee ::handshake:: , very good info! ::tu:: 8)
8)
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

A few new pickups.
Another pewter handled Frary
United cut tin handle
Howard Bro’s
Northfield knife co Conn with safety end
AW Wadsworth
Joseph Rogers
Imperial San Diego zoo Imperial with a little different clover than I’ve go with most of these.
Kerry
Attachments
204D1BFD-1DAD-4F41-9266-65C3A1C5F16C.jpeg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great looking group of boys knives Kerry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Nice scores on all ::nod:: but I especially like the Frary, Rogers and Northfield!! Was the Northfield stamp the arched Northfield/Knife Co ???

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”