Boys Knives Through the Years

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Boys Knives Through the Years

Post by DM11 »

Corso wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:28 pm Loads of great examples on here to look out for

I've consolidated my collection to these, with peanuts being my other weakness

P1030225.JPG

I'd grab one or two more but at the moment I'm hunting a 3" closed Barlow
Nice! ::tu::
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

ludwig26 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:17 pm A few Imperials with chains and 1 Hammer brand. The 2blade with the card and badge is the Hammer brand. The one Deputy Sheriffs knife that is a little faded says by Colt. Ive not seen that before.
Awesome collection!
David
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Older Catt,a Camco that has engraved in plastic “ Lone Ranger” .Then a newer Case, not sure that qualifies here?
And a New Maher and Grosh #14 chain knife.
This has been a very interesting read here about boys knifes, seems they’re made for all ages of boys, even us Older Boys
Attachments
F3C7BF50-C1B6-4928-BF99-374669BE8A8E.jpeg
A35C2017-2D28-456C-9B48-F887335258F3.jpeg
JP
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Derek recommended that I post this here. I will try to dig out my Boy’s knives and take pictures in the coming days, I have a few.
This is a GEC Tidioute pattern 15 Lick Creek Boy’s Knife. Gunstock Jack’s had a few of these customized by Esynx with cocobolo handles and a stainless crest shield.
Attachments
IMG_4337.jpeg
IMG_4338.jpeg
IMG_4339.jpeg
IMG_4340.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

So here are all the boy’s knives that I have. Some may not be considered a true boy’s knife since they aren’t bare heads, but they are smaller knives. Wasn’t sure if the Barlows would be in this category or not.
The jigged blue bone one is the very first GEC knife I bought.
Attachments
IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_4349.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice group of "boys" you have there Mark! ::tu:: Really like the one you posted by itself before the group shot. ::nod:: BTW, why are they called "boys" knives? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:08 am Very nice group of "boys" you have there Mark! ::tu:: Really like the one you posted by itself before the group shot. ::nod:: BTW, why are they called "boys" knives? ::shrug:: 8)
Go back to the start of this thread, you will find it interesting reading, and there is a good link to an earlier thread. ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks cudgee ::handshake:: , very good info! ::tu:: 8)
8)
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

A few new pickups.
Another pewter handled Frary
United cut tin handle
Howard Bro’s
Northfield knife co Conn with safety end
AW Wadsworth
Joseph Rogers
Imperial San Diego zoo Imperial with a little different clover than I’ve go with most of these.
Kerry
Attachments
204D1BFD-1DAD-4F41-9266-65C3A1C5F16C.jpeg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great looking group of boys knives Kerry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Nice scores on all ::nod:: but I especially like the Frary, Rogers and Northfield!! Was the Northfield stamp the arched Northfield/Knife Co ???

Post by ludwig26 »

LongBlade wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 am Great looking group of boys knives Kerry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Nice scores on all ::nod:: but I especially like the Frary, Rogers and Northfield!! Was the Northfield stamp the arched Northfield/Knife Co ???
Thanks Longblade. I believe it was a straight stamp. Its kinda hard to see but what is left of it looks to be in a straight line.I just got the Rogers Saturday morning at a flea market I frequent. Paid 12.00 dollars for it.
Kerry
Corso

Post by Corso »

ludwig26 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 pm A few new pickups.
Another pewter handled Frary
United cut tin handle
Howard Bro’s
Northfield knife co Conn with safety end
AW Wadsworth
Joseph Rogers
Imperial San Diego zoo Imperial with a little different clover than I’ve go with most of these.
Kerry
What can you tell us about the rodgers?

Interested in the stamp and the size
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Handles are plastic. About 2 7/8". Still has original Grind.
Hope the pics are clear enough. I just got a light filter to cut down on glare.
Kerry
Attachments
IMG_6041.jpg
IMG_6042.jpg
IMG_6043.jpg
IMG_6044.jpg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I'm always looking for nice Washington Jacks, landed a nice unused 4 line Camillus last week and pleasantly surprised to find it's only 3", most are 3 3/8" to 3 5//8". I guess this makes it a boy's Washington Jack. Can't remember ever seeing another.
Attachments
IMG_2730.jpeg
IMG_2733.jpeg
IMG_2731.jpeg
IMG_2726.jpeg
Corso

Post by Corso »

ludwig26 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:56 pm Handles are plastic. About 2 7/8". Still has original Grind.
Hope the pics are clear enough. I just got a light filter to cut down on glare.
Kerry
Very nice

fluted bolsters too

marking look from around the 60's or a little later
Corso

Post by Corso »

JohnR wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:56 pm I'm always looking for nice Washington Jacks, landed a nice unused 4 line Camillus last week and pleasantly surprised to find it's only 3", most are 3 3/8" to 3 5//8". I guess this makes it a boy's Washington Jack. Can't remember ever seeing another.
That is rather cool

3" closed is my sweet spot - great to see something a little more dressed up and a standard boys pattern
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

JohnR wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:56 pm I'm always looking for nice Washington Jacks, landed a nice unused 4 line Camillus last week and pleasantly surprised to find it's only 3", most are 3 3/8" to 3 5//8". I guess this makes it a boy's Washington Jack. Can't remember ever seeing another.
Dang thats nice. Are the handles bone?
rustyoldknife
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by rustyoldknife »

JohnR, another great pick just the right size ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
David
Corso

Post by Corso »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:33 am Derek recommended that I post this here. I will try to dig out my Boy’s knives and take pictures in the coming days, I have a few.
This is a GEC Tidioute pattern 15 Lick Creek Boy’s Knife. Gunstock Jack’s had a few of these customized by Esynx with cocobolo handles and a stainless crest shield.
I wish they'd make a #14 exactly like that
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

ludwig26 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:19 am
Dang thats nice. Are the handles bone?

Thanks for the comments everyone, ludwig the handles are a jigged synthetic, not sure what.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Beauty of a knife John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... but imo and my 2 cents - it is not a boys knife but a Washington Jack as you allude to above - the tip bolster is not commonly seen on boys knives of old though a very few exceptions may exist... again John just my opinion after researching these in-depth 4-5 years ago for the article...
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

LongBlade wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:01 pm Beauty of a knife John ::tu:: ::tu:: ... but imo and my 2 cents - it is not a boys knife but a Washington Jack as you allude to above - the tip bolster is not commonly seen on boys knives of old though a very few exceptions may exist... again John just my opinion after researching these in-depth 4-5 years ago for the article...
Thanks for the correction Lee, I put it in the boy's knife category because of it's size, was not sure myself if it was considered a boys knife. ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

A small 2 3/4" Ulster that somehow retained its original chain.
Attachments
IMG_5465.jpeg
IMG_5467.jpeg
IMG_5470.jpeg
IMG_5471.jpeg
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Nice, I can’t get enough of the chains.
Kerry
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

JohnR wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:54 pm A small 2 3/4" Ulster that somehow retained its original chain.
Beautiful example. Really great little pocket knife, any boy would have loved that. ::tu::

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”